Be Pro

Old June 8th 09, 12:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dean

Default Be Pro

Doesn't seem to be much in here.

After having my connection limited again on Plus Net after paying for 20
Gig on Premier but getting 12 Gig before limits are applied, I think the
time has come for me to change.

I could go with Pro, which restricts my quota access. Instead of
midnight to 4pm, it would then be midnight to 8am. Although the line is
unrestricted, it would be a new 12 month contract, still on ADSL, and as
the only time I use the internet is the weekend of after work, I could
seriously see myself eating up more than the 9 Gig I usually use up.

Could go with Unlimited again, which is actually traffic shaped but
allows as much as you like. The traffic shaping on this account is
fairly similar to the Premier account but slightly worse.

On the other hand, I could ditch Plusnet, and go to Be. I've long
fancied one of these accounts, but not really sure if its any good.

Any thoughts?

Cya
Simon
Old June 8th 09, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Simon Dean" wrote in message
[...]

That's what I intend to do when I get round to it.
I am only 500m away from their DSLAM so I
definatly should benifit from ADSL2
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 8th 09, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Graham. wrote:
"Simon Dean" wrote in message
[...]

If you're still with Plusnet when we resume migrations then you might
want to consider applying to take part in our ADSL2+ trials.

http://users.plus.net/QL:EED826CA

Old June 8th 09, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dean

Plusnet Support Team wrote:

Graham. wrote:
"Simon Dean" wrote in message
[...]

Unless you got any new packages specifically on ADSL2, I would strongly
suspect that I'd still be limited to 15 Gig or some monstrously low
throughput on anything but Web.
Old June 9th 09, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dean

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Simon Dean wrote:
On the other hand, I could ditch Plusnet, and go to Be. I've long
fancied one of these accounts, but not really sure if its any good.

Any thoughts?

Yes.
BePro is funtastic I am just 120m away from the exchange and get 22Mbps
downstream 2.2Mbps upstream 99.9% of the time regardless of time of day.
We are in a cabled area though so I guess a lot of local traffic goes
through Virgin.
Never tried telephone support but on-line support is brilliant. Though
I've never understood "on-line" support because unless you have an
alternative connection method how do you contact them... or even find
the number for phone support?
;)

3 ISP's I rate very highly and use for my 3 connections are BeThere. O2
and UK Online. Be & O2 although the same are different enough to be
considered individually. UK Online again, although "the same as" Sky is
very different in front end support and operations.

Either of those 3 and you get "unlimited" access though the usual "fair
usage" rules always seem a bit vague but I'm sure you'd get a warning
if you pushed the boundaries too often.

It's just really beginning to grate now. BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, Demand
Five etc... Can't use it cos I have an ISP who throttles you once you've
downloaded a couple of programmes.

As if Im going to leave my PC on overnight.
Old June 9th 09, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

Simon Dean wrote:
Plusnet Support Team wrote:

Graham. wrote:
"Simon Dean" wrote in message
[...]

Whichever ISP you migrate to you may want to ask them what their policy is
on handing over personal details to copyright blackmailers such as
Davenport-Lyons and ACS Law? The latter have just obtained a court order
demanding those of 5,000 customers of several service providers including
Be. As far as I know the ISPs concerned made no attempt to challenge the
order even though they very easily could have done.

(kim)

Old June 9th 09, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Whichever ISP you migrate to you may want to ask them what their policy is
on handing over personal details to copyright blackmailers such as
Davenport-Lyons and ACS Law? The latter have just obtained a court order
demanding those of 5,000 customers of several service providers including
Be. As far as I know the ISPs concerned made no attempt to challenge the
order even though they very easily could have done.

(kim)

This is a very interesting statement. You seem to be saying that two
organisatiions have obtained a court order to enforce a criminal act i.e.
blackmail. Furthermore you state that the ISPs concerned have not challenged
such a remarkable thing and that they can decide as a matter of policy if
they will abide by a court order or not. Quite remarkable.

Peter Crosland

Old June 9th 09, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

Peter Crosland wrote:
Whichever ISP you migrate to you may want to ask them what their
policy is on handing over personal details to copyright blackmailers
such as Davenport-Lyons and ACS Law? The latter have just obtained a
court order demanding those of 5,000 customers of several service
providers including Be. As far as I know the ISPs concerned made no
attempt to challenge the order even though they very easily could
have done. (kim)

This is a very interesting statement. You seem to be saying that two
organisatiions have obtained a court order to enforce a criminal act
i.e. blackmail.

"Copyright Blackmail" ie: the issuing of threatening legal letters purely
for the purpose of making money is not yet a criminal offence although it
should be. If it was anyone but a firm of lawyers issuing these letters they
would most certainly be charged with "demanding money with menaces". As it
is the first named is currently under investigation by the regulatory
authority and has since claimed to have withdrawn from this abhorrent
practice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/...tening_le.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davenport_Lyons
http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=44092

Furthermore you state that the ISPs concerned have
not challenged such a remarkable thing and that they can decide as a
matter of policy if they will abide by a court order or not.

I said no such thing. Be and others had the opportunity to challenge the
(very flimsy) basis on which the Norwich Pharmacal was issued yesterday but
failed to do so.
http://beingthreatened.yolasite.com/

You are also evading my main point which is that some ISPs seem to hand over
personal details to a third party much more readily than other ISPs without
even bothering to inform their customers they have done so.

(kim)

Old June 9th 09, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

Demanding money with menaces is blackmail.

You are also evading my main point which is that some ISPs seem to hand
over personal details to a third party much more readily than other ISPs
without even bothering to inform their customers they have done so.

Far from it. Your whole posting showed a lack of understanding of the
commercial and legal realities. When ISPs are presented with a court order
they can either comply or challenge it by going to court. The decision is
likely to be based on commercial reality and legal advice. There is no
general obligation for an ISP to notify customers of any disclosure made
under a court order, and indeed they may be specifically prohibited from
doing so by order of the court.

Peter Crosland