Use a 2Wire 2700 gateway as *just* a wireless router.

Old June 8th 09, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jethro

Default Use a 2Wire 2700 gateway as *just* a wireless router.

Hi guys,

currently I have a (cheap) wireless router which is fine for my needs.
However the signal in my sons room is weak ... I am sure this is a
router issue, as at work we can span 100m, through walls with our
router, and my sons wi-fi card can pick up neighbours routers from 3
houses away.

I have acquired from a colleague at work an old 2Wire 2700 router
(used for a BT BB connection). Does anyone know it it's possible to
plug a port from my current router into this router, and have it act
as just a wireless router. I presume I'll need a Xover cable ... my
existing router is doing all the NAT and firewall stuff I need.

I can't replace the existing router as I'm on Virgin, so the Internet
pipe is through a cable modem, rather than ADSL ...

thanks guys ...
Old June 8th 09, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Hi guys,

currently I have a (cheap) wireless router which is fine for my needs.
However the signal in my sons room is weak ... I am sure this is a
router issue, as at work we can span 100m, through walls with our
router, and my sons wi-fi card can pick up neighbours routers from 3
houses away.

I have acquired from a colleague at work an old 2Wire 2700 router
(used for a BT BB connection). Does anyone know it it's possible to
plug a port from my current router into this router, and have it act
as just a wireless router. I presume I'll need a Xover cable ... my
existing router is doing all the NAT and firewall stuff I need.

I can't replace the existing router as I'm on Virgin, so the Internet
pipe is through a cable modem, rather than ADSL ...

It will work fine but you may need to fiddle with the IP addressing. It
should work without a crossover cable.

Peter Crosland

Old June 8th 09, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jethro

On 8 June, 11:40, "Peter Crosland" wrote:
[...]

Peter Crosland- Hide quoted text -

Thanks ... I'll report back
Old June 8th 09, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

Don't try and set it up over the wireless link. In order to get at all the
detailed setup you may need to use the /mdc route. To do this type the
default IP address followed by /mdc e.g. 192.168.1.254/mdc. I would suggest
a hard reset before trying to set it up. Any problems please ask direct to
my email address that is valid.

Peter Crosland

Old June 13th 09, 12:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jethro

On 8 June, 17:05, "Peter Crosland" wrote:
[...]

Hi Peter

thanks for the tip. I used the MDC to clear all the saved LAN data
out, and setup the wireless and DHCP side of things. Plugged a jumper
from my current router into it, and Presto ! A new WiFi was born !
Sadly it's just as weak in my sons room (which is all of 10m away,
albeit through 3 brick walls - we live in a bungalow) so there's
something weird in the space-time continuum round here ... especially
as my N5800 picks it up 50m down the road.

Old June 13th 09, 07:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

Glad it worked, at least partially!. Whilst brick walls do funny things to
radio signals the symptoms suggest there might be a problem with your son's
end of the connection. Having said that three brick walls is quite a lot for
Wi-Fi connection to penetrate. Some versions of the 2700HGV firmware have
quite high pwer output. Details here

http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm

You might consider relocating it and connecting through a Cat5e link.At a
slight tangent do make sure you use WPA2 encryption to stop anyone else
using the connection.

Peter Crosland

Old June 15th 09, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jethro

On 13 June, 07:55, "Peter Crosland" wrote:
[...]

WPA2 is second nature where I come from :-)

My next plan, is to use my "download machine" which is in the loft
(and connects to the original WiFi with c. 90-95% strength) to help
out. I shall enable Internet connection sharing on it, and fit a 2nd
network card which will connect into the 2wire ... in effect acting as
a repeater. The annoying thing is geographically, the download machine
is *further* away than my sons ....

Since it's only my time I'm wasting, I'm being a little stubborn on
this one. Going back 18 months ago, when I managed to sell the cost of
the initial router to the Mrs, it was on the basis that we would have
****ing cables running everywhere. No so much because they are
unsightly, more to the fact that when rooms get re-arranged (which
seems to be her hobby) they will invariably be on the wrong side of
the room.

Actually before that, I may try one last thing ... ISTM that signals
radiating *upwards* are stronger, or propogate further, I've noticed a
few times at work signals appear to be stronger on the 1st floor ....
so I may try lowering the router, and see what happens.

Thanks for all your advice.
Old June 15th 09, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

There are no hard and fast rules regarding what works best with Wi-Fi
propagation within a building. You just have, as the saying does, suck it
and see, but not literally!

Peter Crosland

Old July 12th 09, 02:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Jun 8, 12:05*pm, "Peter Crosland" wrote:
[...]

Hi there.

I am trying to get the exact same setup to work but I was not able to
follow your suggestions of using MDC. How do I find out what's the IP
address I need and where do I enter the IP address followed by /mdc? I
am using a 2Wire 2700 from Qwest, but I no longer use them as a
provider. I was hoping to just plugin a network cable from my new
router into this 2700 and just use it as the wireless gateway, but
that doesn't seem to work. Thanks.