Networking in Vista

Old June 9th 09, 10:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Roy Norris

Default Networking in Vista

Hi All,

You would think setting up a simple home network with2 PC's both using
vista home premium would be simple!

Not with microsoft!

Whilst I can see the shared drives I cannot access them!

I get "(drive) is available but the user account you logged on with
was denied access". Bloody typical unhelpful stupidity from
Microsoft.

The even more helpful additional comment is "Make sure you have typed
the path properly - (the file is what is shown in explore; I don't
have to type anything!) and you have permission to access the shared
folder" Again a pretty useless comment as it was their wizard that
set up the connection!

There is one user on each system and shareing is needed to transfer
files, view,delete and alter from time to time.

Any pointers on where to start sorting this out, please?

Tried ms website and I'm sent round in circles - as ever.

Roy.

Old June 9th 09, 10:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 09/06/2009 in message Roy
Norris wrote:

Any pointers on where to start sorting this out, please?

1) Set up the same user name/password combination on each PC where files
are to be shared so Windows recognises your credentials.
2) You must specifically share drives/folders Right click in Explorer and
choose sharing or properties.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.
Old June 10th 09, 03:00 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 22:29:07 +0100
Roy Norris wrote:

You would think setting up a simple home network with2 PC's both using
vista home premium would be simple!

Not with microsoft!

Whilst I can see the shared drives I cannot access them!

I get "(drive) is available but the user account you logged on with
was denied access". Bloody typical unhelpful stupidity from
Microsoft.

Actually I think maybe it's a sign that they've started doing it right
at last.

The even more helpful additional comment is "Make sure you have typed
the path properly - (the file is what is shown in explore; I don't
have to type anything!) and you have permission to access the shared
folder" Again a pretty useless comment as it was their wizard that
set up the connection!

The wizard set up the connection, but you created the user accounts and
the shares.

There is one user on each system and shareing is needed to transfer
files, view,delete and alter from time to time.

Any pointers on where to start sorting this out, please?

I don't use Vista, but it looks like everything is he

Old June 10th 09, 10:44 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Roy Norris
says...

Hi All,

You would think setting up a simple home network with2 PC's both using
vista home premium would be simple!

Not with microsoft!

Whilst I can see the shared drives I cannot access them!

I get "(drive) is available but the user account you logged on with
was denied access". Bloody typical unhelpful stupidity from
Microsoft.

No, you're just ****ing dumb. It's told you that the user trying to
access the share doesn't have permission.

There is one user on each system and shareing is needed to transfer
files, view,delete and alter from time to time.

Any pointers on where to start sorting this out, please?

Yes. They're doing security properly so learn how to do it properly. Go
into the permissions for each shared folder and set the relevent access
options.

I'll give you a simple solution though as its obviously beyond you.
Create a new account on each machine using the same username and
password used to log onto the other.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old June 10th 09, 10:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Roy Norris

Thanks for some of your helpful "advice"

Clealy it is easier to blame the victim than a rotten system - I'm not
"****ing dumb". I had a network that worked - I upgrade one of the
computers to Vista and it doesn't work anymore- so whose ****ing dumb?

What is the point of 2 computers with exactly the same details?

Stuff you Conor - plonk.

Old June 10th 09, 10:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
[ste parker]

Roy Norris wrote:

Thanks for some of your helpful "advice"

Clealy it is easier to blame the victim than a rotten system - I'm not
"****ing dumb". I had a network that worked - I upgrade one of the
computers to Vista and it doesn't work anymore- so whose ****ing dumb?

What is the point of 2 computers with exactly the same details?

Stuff you Conor - plonk.

Whilst Conor's advice was somewhat abrasive and often is, he wasn't
wrong (and I'm not referring to the stupid user stuff by the way,
although to be fair you shouldn't necessarily think that what worked in
one version of Windows would work in the same way in a different one)
and the solution he gave you will work and is a common thing to do. No
need to fly off the handle.

--
[ste]
Old June 11th 09, 05:25 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 22:23:41 +0100
Roy Norris wrote:

Thanks for some of your helpful "advice"

Clealy it is easier to blame the victim than a rotten system - I'm not
"****ing dumb". I had a network that worked - I upgrade one of the
computers to Vista and it doesn't work anymore- so whose ****ing dumb?

The so-called security and networking on previous versions of Windows?

What is the point of 2 computers with exactly the same details?

None, but that wasn't what he suggested. What he said was to set up
identical user accounts on both machines, as a simple way of getting
the permissions necessary to manipulate files.

Old June 11th 09, 05:56 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

news:[email protected]
Roy Norris wrote:

Thanks for some of your helpful "advice"

Clealy it is easier to blame the victim than a rotten system - I'm not
"****ing dumb". I had a network that worked - I upgrade one of the
computers to Vista and it doesn't work anymore- so whose ****ing dumb?

The so-called security and networking on previous versions of Windows?

What is the point of 2 computers with exactly the same details?

None, but that wasn't what he suggested. What he said was to set up
identical user accounts on both machines, as a simple way of getting
the permissions necessary to manipulate files.

The network permissions on Windows are unnecessarily complicated for many
home users who are more interested in making file/printer sharing work than
in restricting access.

I liked the functionality of the old share-level security of Windows 9x: you
define a share as having:

- no password
- a password to allow read access
- a password to allow read and write access

The implementation may have been less secure and hacker-proof than it should
have been, but the functionality was just right for home users and didn't
require setting up of the same accounts on each PC or manipulation of both
share and folder permissions (which does XP and Vista have *both* of
these?).

Having multiple accounts on PCs means that you will always be asked to
choose the user that will be logged on (either by icon or by typing in
username and password) rather than the PC booting straight through to the
desktop.

I liked the simpler permissions of Unix: you allow any of read, write and
execute for any of user (owner), group and everyone. And these permissions
are clearly visible in an "ls" listing of files so you can see at a glance
if something's not right.

Right, rant over!

Here are a few things for the OP to check:

In Control Panel | Network and Sharing Center, change the Sharing and
Discovery radio buttons to the following:

Network Discovery = On
File Sharing = On
Public Folder Sharing = On
Printer Sharing = On
Password Protected Sharing = Off
Media Sharing = On

I forget what the default settings are as Vista is initially configured.

Old June 11th 09, 02:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 22:23:41 +0100, Roy Norris
wrote:

whose ****ing dumb?

Maybe someone who does not know the difference between whose and who's.

Tony
Old June 12th 09, 02:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Roger Bayliss

Thanks for some of your helpful "advice"

Clealy it is easier to blame the victim than a rotten system - I'm not
"****ing dumb". I had a network that worked - I upgrade one of the
computers to Vista and it doesn't work anymore- so whose ****ing dumb?

What is the point of 2 computers with exactly the same details?

Stuff you Conor - plonk.

Oh don't bother about Conor. He responds to everyone with abuse.
He doesn't know how to be civil with anyone.

He might know about computers, but he is well short on courtesy and
politeness.