A standalone phone for VOIP

Old June 9th 09, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alasdair

Default A standalone phone for VOIP

I have a handset which is about the size of a mobile phone. It is
made by Belkin and called the "Skype WiFi Phone". The beauty of this
little beastie is that it will work where there is a WiFi signal and
doesn't need a computer. At home, it works off my wireless router
whether or not my computer is switched on. When I'm out and about, I
can make phone calls from hotspots that one gets in hotels, city
centres, pubs, cafes etc. The downside is that it will only work on
Skype.

I'd love to open an account with, say, Vonage which gives a much
better sound quality than Skype and I'm wondering if a similar
standalone phone is available which can be loaded with Vonage
software or some other VOIP provider's software.

Anybody got any ideas?

--
Alasdair.
Old June 10th 09, 12:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"Alasdair" wrote in message
I have a handset which is about the size of a mobile phone. It is
made by Belkin and called the "Skype WiFi Phone". The beauty of this
little beastie is that it will work where there is a WiFi signal and
doesn't need a computer. At home, it works off my wireless router
whether or not my computer is switched on. When I'm out and about, I
can make phone calls from hotspots that one gets in hotels, city
centres, pubs, cafes etc. The downside is that it will only work on
Skype.

I'd love to open an account with, say, Vonage which gives a much
better sound quality than Skype and I'm wondering if a similar
standalone phone is available which can be loaded with Vonage
software or some other VOIP provider's software.

Anybody got any ideas?

I am no fan of Skype but, although it pains me to say it,
might be worth hanging on to that handset because I understand
that Skype is quite good at traversing firewalls that you have
no control of, like hot-spots.
I am surprised about your experience of Skype audio quality,
It certainly sounds fine when my son talks to his friends.
My main problem is calls to the PSTN (Skype Out) are not
particularly cheap.
Likewise with Vonage, a very expensive way to make calls.

For situations like homes and offices where your firewall
is VoIP friendly, and/or you can forward ports etc. then
most of us use the SIP protocol

SIP hardware comes as wifi handsets (similar to your Skype one)
or wired IP phones that basically plug into your router,
or alternatively a device called an ATA (analogue telephone adapter)
that plugs into your router and a regular phone (wired or cordless)
plugs into the ATA.

The cheapest SIP providers tend to keep a low public profile
so you probably wont have heard of them. I use a number of them
but I would recommend sipgate.co.uk for incoming calls,
totally free if you don't top-up, and they give you a geographic
number for any UK STD code plus a good voicemail
and for outgoing calls I use one of the Betamax clones
smslisto.com Check out their rates here
http://www.smslisto.com/en/calling-rates.html
Compare for example, their rate for calling UK mobiles
with Skype's

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 10th 09, 09:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
mr deo

"Graham." wrote in message

"Alasdair" wrote in message
[...]

What about him using a Skipe to Sip home gateway?

Old June 10th 09, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Koos van den Hout

Alasdair wrote in :
I'd love to open an account with, say, Vonage which gives a much
better sound quality than Skype and I'm wondering if a similar
standalone phone is available which can be loaded with Vonage
software or some other VOIP provider's software.

Anybody got any ideas?

There are some SIP-capable handsets. They are either very expensive or have
a short battery life[1]. I have no personal experience there as I am
interested in the subject but there is no 'business case' for me to buy one

http://www.voipsupply.com/ip-phones/wi-fi

Noticeable is that the first products are already listed as 'discontinued'.
I guess it is an immature market.

[1] compared to gsm900/gsm1800 phones one to two weeks. Recently someone
in a Dutch gsm shop told me all the new 3G phones with colour screens
and lots of backlight on UMTS or HSDPA have a 'normal' standby time of
only 3 to 4 days. How is this an improvement?

--
The Virtual Bookcase, the site about books, book | Koos van den Hout
news and reviews http://www.virtualbookcase.com/ | http://idefix.net/~koos/
Old June 10th 09, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Alasdair wrote:

Anybody got any ideas?

Linksys WIP310 perhaps?

Tim
Old June 10th 09, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Alasdair schreef:
I have a handset which is about the size of a mobile phone. It is
made by Belkin and called the "Skype WiFi Phone". The beauty of this
little beastie is that it will work where there is a WiFi signal and
doesn't need a computer. At home, it works off my wireless router
whether or not my computer is switched on. When I'm out and about, I
can make phone calls from hotspots that one gets in hotels, city
centres, pubs, cafes etc. The downside is that it will only work on
Skype.

I'd love to open an account with, say, Vonage which gives a much
better sound quality than Skype and I'm wondering if a similar
standalone phone is available which can be loaded with Vonage
software or some other VOIP provider's software.

Anybody got any ideas?

--
Alasdair.

Best way to use VoIP networks,(no WiFi needed) is to call a local access
number, you pay local call rate, plus the Voip rate, or your callee
should use a free voip account, to which you can peer to, onto that
network, via a Sipbroker network peer number. see: www.sipbroker.com

btw.
like it is said earlier, Skype beats SIP over a hotspot, with Skype your
data (password too) is encrypted, SIP is in the clear, = unsafe and
works only over un-encrypted networks, so there's no wep or wpa(2)

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.

Old June 10th 09, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Ingle

Alasdair wrote:

Anybody got any ideas?

There are some WiFi dual mode SIP phones, such as this one:

http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/nokia/6300i

but they don't seem to have taken off, perhaps because they are too
expensive or not user friendly.

A while back I tried out a dual mode Starcom phone, but it was really
fiddly to connect to guest WiFi networks.

What looks promising is that SIP promises to work well on Android,
hopefully soon the cost of Android phones will drop to a reasonable
level and have reasonable battery life...
Old June 11th 09, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Paul Hayes schreef:
lid wrote:

btw.
like it is said earlier, Skype beats SIP over a hotspot, with Skype
your data (password too) is encrypted, SIP is in the clear, = unsafe
and works only over un-encrypted networks, so there's no wep or wpa(2)

what a load of rubbish.

- in SIP the password is encrypted.
- if you use a phone and service provider who support SIPS and SRTP then
both the signalling and audio data are encrypted.
- SIP works fine with WEP/WPA/WPA2 etc... obviously you need a phone
with support for wifi encryption but it's not really anything to do with
whatever voice protocols being used.

cheers,
Paul.

What i meant, that you can only *access* an open hot spot, most of the time
, and you need to pay, to get an temporary inlog account, on official
hotspots, and yes, NAT is more a problem with SIP, than it is with Skype,
you can read a lot about NAT problems with SIP, on the internet, and
*encrypting* adds only a greater chance to not getting a connection with
*sound*, between two endpoints/clients, both must be capable to do so,
which comes down to, that two identical hardware devices are used, at
both ends, did you try that once?

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.