BT wants BBC to pay for bandwidth used by its customers

Old June 10th 09, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Default BT wants BBC to pay for bandwidth used by its customers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technolog...e_iplayer.html

BT need to take their ideas and shove them where they never see the light of
day again. If the BBC give any ground over this, what other nonsense are
they going to come up with? Their Phorm shenanigans show they'll **** over
their users at the slightest opportunity, so I dread to think what else
they'll come up with.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:29:46 up 34 days, 23:11, 1 user, load average: 0.37, 0.39, 0.26

Old June 10th 09, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

BT need to take their ideas and shove them where they never see the light
of day again.

We are already paying BT (directly if BT is our ISP) or
via our ISP for the bandwidth we use.
So now BT is asking to be paid twice, Ofcom should
tell them where to stuff their ideas as well.
We are of course also paying the BBC via our
licence fee.
Who do these guys think they are?
Bankers and MP's by the sound of it.
Old June 10th 09, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Darling

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 18:09:53 +0000, Ato_Zee wrote:

BT need to take their ideas and shove them where they never see the
light of day again.

We are already paying BT (directly if BT is our ISP) or via our ISP for
the bandwidth we use. So now BT is asking to be paid twice, Ofcom should
tell them where to stuff their ideas as well. We are of course also
paying the BBC via our licence fee.

And of course the BBC is already paying for hosting and streaming at
their end.

Regards
Gordon

Old June 10th 09, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dean

alexd wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technolog...e_iplayer.html

BT need to take their ideas and shove them where they never see the light of
day again. If the BBC give any ground over this, what other nonsense are
they going to come up with? Their Phorm shenanigans show they'll **** over
their users at the slightest opportunity, so I dread to think what else
they'll come up with.

It would set a dangerous precedent where ISPs could restrict content
based on how much of a tax, er, levy, er "donation" that content
providers make.

Microsoft Updates? Drivers from Dell? Software downloads from
SourceForge? YouTube? iTunes?

Cya
Simon
Old June 10th 09, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Simon Dean" wrote in message
alexd wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technolog...e_iplayer.html

BT need to take their ideas and shove them where they never see the light
of day again. If the BBC give any ground over this, what other nonsense
are they going to come up with? Their Phorm shenanigans show they'll ****
over their users at the slightest opportunity, so I dread to think what
else they'll come up with.

It would set a dangerous precedent where ISPs could restrict content based
on how much of a tax, er, levy, er "donation" that content providers make.

Microsoft Updates? Drivers from Dell? Software downloads from SourceForge?
YouTube? iTunes?

Cya
Simon

You missed out Micro$oft updates ;-)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 10th 09, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The dog from that film you saw

"alexd" wrote in message
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technolog...e_iplayer.html

BT need to take their ideas and shove them where they never see the light
of
day again. If the BBC give any ground over this, what other nonsense are
they going to come up with? Their Phorm shenanigans show they'll **** over
their users at the slightest opportunity, so I dread to think what else
they'll come up with.

maybe BT - and other ISPs, should charge their users a price that allows
them to make a profit instead of complaining when users make use of their
connections for the things that the ISP boasts you can do.

--
Gareth.

that fly...... is your magic wand....

Old June 10th 09, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

I personally don't see the need for television channels to break out onto
the internet. Surely if something is worth watching, you would either watch
it at the time it is broadcast, or record it for later viewing. Perhaps
thes TV channels should quit their services online and stop the wasting of
bandwidth that is obviously not needed.

--
Labour won't win under Brown or anybody else for that matter, the game
is up and time for a General Election and let the people decide.

Old June 10th 09, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

BT need to take their ideas and shove them where they never see the light
of day again.

We are already paying BT (directly if BT is our ISP) or
via our ISP for the bandwidth we use.

Surely this is the root of the problem. Services like Iplayer consume large
amounts of bandwidth and in the real world that has to be paid for in some
way. Asking the content provider to pay seems absurd and the only equitable
method has to be the end user to foot the bill. I can already hear the pips
squeaking in anticipation!

Peter Crosland

Old June 10th 09, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hugh Jampton

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 20:51:14 +0100, Geoff wrote:

I personally don't see the need for television channels to break out onto
the internet. Surely if something is worth watching, you would either watch
it at the time it is broadcast, or record it for later viewing. Perhaps
thes TV channels should quit their services online and stop the wasting of
bandwidth that is obviously not needed.

The idiot's lantern rules people's lives. They can't get enough of it.
They'll use anything to stay glued to it :-(
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old June 10th 09, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

alexd wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technolog...e_iplayer.html

BT need to take their ideas and shove them where they never see the light of
day again. If the BBC give any ground over this, what other nonsense are
they going to come up with? Their Phorm shenanigans show they'll **** over
their users at the slightest opportunity, so I dread to think what else
they'll come up with.

Arsey versey
Bt should be paying the BBC, and charging their users accordingly.