Cannot make a pair of switches communicate

Old June 12th 09, 09:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trojan Hussar

Default Cannot make a pair of switches communicate

I have an office at the bottom of the garden 60ft from the house. The
plan has always been to put a wired connection between the switch in
the house (generic 8 port 10/100 switch) and the office (Intel 510T 24
port 10/100). I've been working with a rather flaky 802.11b wireless
bridge for a couple of years and recently upgraded to a 802.11g bridge
which turned out to be even worse!

Lost my rag today after numerous failed connections and took a long
length of CAT5e and ran a cable out of the office up the side of the
house and in to the home switch.

Initially I cabled it as a straight through cable, plugged the tester
in and all eight LEDs lit so the connections appeared to be fine.
Plugged it into both switches and both registered as a full duplex
100Mbps connection, the activity light was flickering frantically so I
tried to ping clients at the other end of the connection... nothing...
All the clients on the home switch can see each other, all the clients
on the office switch with fixed IPs can see each other (the firewall
in the house provides DHCP to the whole network) DHCP clients cannot
get an address. But the home and office switches do not seem to be
communicating?

I tried rewiring the cable as a crossover and exactly the same, the
lights on both switches are on, but no data seems to be passing
between them.

I've even swapped the switches around, put an old Netgear FS105 (5
port 10/100) into the house and moved the generic 8 port down to the
office, but no joy.

The cable tester seems to give the impression the cable is wired
correctly, but it just doesn't work...

HELP!

Regards,
TH.
Old June 13th 09, 07:42 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Will

"Trojan Hussar" wrote in message
[...]

Why is your clock in PDT? Are you not in the uk part of uk.comp.h-m.
Frantic activity sounds like a loop from here, did it stop after you
disabled the wireless bridge.
You need a real lan tester that you are confident with, that said if you've
got link leds up I'd have expected you to be okay there.
My guess, different network segments. See what addresses you are getting,
reintstate your old bridge and see what they were.
- To eliminate the new link (cable) put the two boxes next to each other in
the house with known working patch cables.
Normally I'm a fan of a bit of wire and it tends to be very reliable but you
just may have an odd network setup that the wireless bridge linked okay.
All solvable - just may need to start again - and I know you'll have heard
it before (and hate it myself) but reboot all the bits of kit at the far
end - you just may be retaining a (now) incorrect address (all the kit).

Old June 16th 09, 04:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Donald Campbell

In article
,
Trojan Hussar writes
[...]

Are the two set of machine on the same subnet?

Run ipconfig/all on a PC in each area to check.

Don C

Old June 19th 09, 10:00 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PeeGee

Trojan Hussar wrote:
[...]

I support the "put close together and check with a known good cable"
approach. I have seen a situation where activity is continuous caused by
looping a patch lead from one socket to another (assumed to be attempts
to build a routing table that gets bigger and bigger as the router talks
to itself :-( ). If you have not changed IP addresses from wireless,
that should not be a problem, so if your tester is a low cost one I
would suspect it's "telling lies" by indicating voltage applied at one
end is reaching the other and not checking individual lines.

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."