Anyone get good speeds from BT Broadband?

Old June 13th 09, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry

Default Anyone get good speeds from BT Broadband?

I have been asked to ask your opinion on BT broadband and how well it works.
I have visited several people who are on BT Broadband and every one of them
was not getting good speeds for their sync rate. So is anyone getting good
speeds, or is BT commonly a slow service? The reason I ask is that my mate
is considering signing up with Post Office Broadband, Broadband Extra I
think they call it..... I have made a few enquiries around the net and it
seems its a service by BT Broadband, but less cost. Comments regarding the
performance of PO Broadband Extra would be very much welcomed.

--
Want a landslide Conservative vistory on 2010? Just keep GB at the Helm.

Old June 13th 09, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Terry wrote thus:
I have been asked to ask your opinion on BT broadband and how well it works.
I have visited several people who are on BT Broadband and every one of them
was not getting good speeds for their sync rate. So is anyone getting good
speeds, or is BT commonly a slow service? The reason I ask is that my mate
is considering signing up with Post Office Broadband, Broadband Extra I
think they call it..... I have made a few enquiries around the net and it
seems its a service by BT Broadband, but less cost. Comments regarding the
performance of PO Broadband Extra would be very much welcomed.

I have always had good speeds from BT I live 1.2Km from exchange, sync
at 8128K and get 7000K downloads. I was recently on the 21CN/WBC trials
with BT and Synced at 20M and got 16M+ downloads with rock solid
connection using both 1.5 and 2.0 Home Hubs.

--
Steve

A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first
thought of.
- Burt Bacharach
Old June 13th 09, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ian

On Saturday 13 June 2009 1:21 pm, in MID
, Terry ) wrote:

I have been asked to ask your opinion on BT broadband and how well it
works. I have visited several people who are on BT Broadband and every one
of them
was not getting good speeds for their sync rate. So is anyone getting
good
speeds,

Yup. I sync reliably and consistently at 8096kbps, and see throughput (from
sites that can deliver it) in excess of 6Mbps at pretty much all times.

--
Ian...
Old June 14th 09, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Zahut

Terry wrote:
I have been asked to ask your opinion on BT broadband and how well it
works. I have visited several people who are on BT Broadband and
every one of them was not getting good speeds for their sync rate.
So is anyone getting good speeds, or is BT commonly a slow service?
The reason I ask is that my mate is considering signing up with Post
Office Broadband, Broadband Extra I think they call it..... I have
made a few enquiries around the net and it seems its a service by BT
Broadband, but less cost. Comments regarding the performance of PO
Broadband Extra would be very much welcomed.

1.7km (line length) from exchange and using a Linksys WAG325N modem/router.
Router uptime 735days, 15hours and 17minutes. Synch at a rock-solid 8128/448
and throughput is always between 6.7mbps and 7.2mbps.

Old June 14th 09, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I have been asked to ask your opinion on BT broadband and how well it
works.
I have visited several people who are on BT Broadband and every one of
them
was not getting good speeds for their sync rate. So is anyone getting
good
speeds, or is BT commonly a slow service? The reason I ask is that my
mate
is considering signing up with Post Office Broadband, Broadband Extra I
think they call it..... I have made a few enquiries around the net and it
seems its a service by BT Broadband, but less cost. Comments regarding
the
performance of PO Broadband Extra would be very much welcomed.

Forget the raw speed. The crucila thing is the reliability and customer
service. Neither BT or the PO have a good record for either.

Peter Crosland

Old June 15th 09, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Terry" wrote in message
I have been asked to ask your opinion on BT broadband and how well it
works.
I have visited several people who are on BT Broadband and every one of
them
was not getting good speeds for their sync rate. So is anyone getting
good
speeds, or is BT commonly a slow service? The reason I ask is that my
mate
is considering signing up with Post Office Broadband, Broadband Extra I
think they call it..... I have made a few enquiries around the net and it
seems its a service by BT Broadband, but less cost. Comments regarding
the
performance of PO Broadband Extra would be very much welcomed.

--
Want a landslide Conservative vistory on 2010? Just keep GB at the Helm.

Don't tell them that!

I have BT Connect. I typically get over 7Mb/s on downloads on an 8Mb/s
link.

Reliability is seldom an issue - no down time for months.

Occasionally mail or news servers may be OOS, but surfing always works.

Old June 25th 09, 05:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marty Fremen

"Terry" wrote:

I have been asked to ask your opinion on BT broadband and how well it
works. I have visited several people who are on BT Broadband and every
one of them was not getting good speeds for their sync rate. So is
anyone getting good speeds, or is BT commonly a slow service?

Where I work we have BT and being close to the exchange we do get 8Mbps
and a good download speed, except for last week when it dropped to
dial-up speeds for a couple of hours then went down completely for a
while.

I wouldn't get BT myself though, for two reasons: (1) Phorm, and (2) the
fact they have very slick cold-calling sales people who on a number of
occasions have conned our manager into agreeing to unneccesary
upgrades/add ons which meant we ended up being billed for twice as much
as the saleman originally claimed the services would cost.