Which Make And Model Of Modem/Router?

Old June 14th 09, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Maskell

Default Which Make And Model Of Modem/Router?

Hello,

I'm in the market for a new up to date WiFi Modem Router.

My current model is a Netgear DG834 V3 and I'm so sick of it keep
dropping connections.

I would prefer my new Modem Router to have INTERNAL aerials as I think
they look better.

My chosen 3 a

1. Netgear DGND3300 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N ADSL 2+ Router
2. Linksys WAG106N Ultra RangePlus Wireless-N ADSL 2+ Router
3. Belkin N+ F5D8635 Wireless-N ADSL Router

I know the Belkin model has two external aerials, but the unit is
designed to stand on it's side and I have an ideal place for it on my desk.

I don't know a lot about WiFi, so I would appreciate some advice and
suggestions.

Can anyone tell me which Modem/Router is best in respect of:

Reliability
Ease of set up and use
Speed (of upload & download)
After sales support from company?

At the moment I only have one computer so I wouldn't need the WiFi part
of the new Modem/Router (at least not at first!).

I plan to wire the Modem/Router to my computer but I could use the WIFI
part to connect with my printer (Canon MP980).

In the future, I might buy a laptop and use WiFi to connect to the internet.

Thanks for all advice.
Old June 14th 09, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

The 2Wire 2700HGV often badged as a BT Business Hub has unrivalled
performance on long or noisy ADSL lines. You can get them on eBay for around
10. They don't N Wi-Fi but you could always add an N access point in future
if you need one. There is plenty of expertise on this NG that will tell you
far more than most manufacturers will.

Peter Crosland

Old June 14th 09, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Peter Crosland wrote:

The 2Wire 2700HGV often badged as a BT Business Hub has unrivalled
performance on long or noisy ADSL lines.

Is there a reliable way to spot which of these are the models with the
newer (less desirable?) firmware?
Old June 15th 09, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

The 2Wire 2700HGV often badged as a BT Business Hub has unrivalled
performance on long or noisy ADSL lines.

Is there a reliable way to spot which of these are the models with the
newer (less desirable?) firmware?

The only way is to ask. Don't be put off by the later versions as for most
purposes they are fine. Some will see the limitation of the wireless power
output as a disadvantage but this is largely illusory.

Peter Crosland

Old June 15th 09, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Peter Crosland wrote:

The only way is to ask. Don't be put off by the later versions as for most
purposes they are fine. Some will see the limitation of the wireless power
output as a disadvantage but this is largely illusory.

I have a vague interest in the VoIP ports (for non-BT use) and AFAICS
that is a no-no with v6?

VoIP isn't a show stopper, the main reason for interest is that the
4Mbps I used to get 3 years ago has slowly dropped off to 2Mbps now,

having improved cabling and faceplates as far as possible, and tried
other routers, a 2wire seems worth a try.
Old June 15th 09, 09:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
o.uk...
The 2Wire 2700HGV often badged as a BT Business Hub has unrivalled
performance on long or noisy ADSL lines.

Is there a reliable way to spot which of these are the models with the
newer (less desirable?) firmware?

The only way is to ask. Don't be put off by the later versions as for most
purposes they are fine. Some will see the limitation of the wireless power
output as a disadvantage but this is largely illusory.

I wouldn't worry about the firmware. Mine was auto-upgraded to v6 and its
been fine. Its a bit trickier to setup but there is a dedicated webpage on
all things 2700HGV.

http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm

If you want the higher wireless power you need an old hub with v4 firmware
on it. The last place I found one of those was at www.digidave.co.uk (I
think thats the URL) but you'll be paying a premium to get one. The
2700HGVs on eBay are too new for the v4 firmware and trying to flash it will
result in a new paperweight for your desk.

--

WildCardZero

Old June 15th 09, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

The only way is to ask. Don't be put off by the later versions as for
most purposes they are fine. Some will see the limitation of the wireless
power output as a disadvantage but this is largely illusory.

I have a vague interest in the VoIP ports (for non-BT use) and AFAICS that
is a no-no with v6?

VoIP isn't a show stopper, the main reason for interest is that the
4Mbps I used to get 3 years ago has slowly dropped off to 2Mbps now,

having improved cabling and faceplates as far as possible, and tried other
routers, a 2wire seems worth a try.

AFAIK the 2700 will not work with VOIP except the BT provided variety.

Peter Crosland

Old June 15th 09, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin @nohere.net

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 08:08:00 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

The 2Wire 2700HGV often badged as a BT Business Hub has unrivalled
performance on long or noisy ADSL lines.

Is there a reliable way to spot which of these are the models with the
newer (less desirable?) firmware?

The only way is to ask. Don't be put off by the later versions as for most
purposes they are fine. Some will see the limitation of the wireless power
output as a disadvantage but this is largely illusory.
Peter Crosland

Hi
Butting in on the thread
I'm with sky and have a Sagem router which keeps on dropping out
I have rung sky umteen times & they keep on passing the buck, anything
to get out of supplying a replacement router.

Do u think the 2Wire 2700HGV would be a good replacement for me
Considering sky's T&C of having to use their Sagem?
--
Martin

Old June 15th 09, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

The 2Wire 2700HGV often badged as a BT Business Hub has unrivalled
performance on long or noisy ADSL lines.
Is there a reliable way to spot which of these are the models with the
newer (less desirable?) firmware?

The only way is to ask. Don't be put off by the later versions as for most
purposes they are fine. Some will see the limitation of the wireless power
output as a disadvantage but this is largely illusory.
Peter Crosland

Hi
Butting in on the thread
I'm with sky and have a Sagem router which keeps on dropping out
I have rung sky umteen times & they keep on passing the buck, anything
to get out of supplying a replacement router.

Do u think the 2Wire 2700HGV would be a good replacement for me
Considering sky's T&C of having to use their Sagem?

I have no experience of Sky broadband. However, if they will not replace the
kit then I would be tempted to move to another ISP. Have you put this
possibility to Sky because it might concentrate their minds?

Peter Crosland

Old June 15th 09, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin @nohere.net

Hi
Butting in on the thread
I'm with sky and have a Sagem router which keeps on dropping out
I have rung sky umteen times & they keep on passing the buck, anything
to get out of supplying a replacement router.
Do u think the 2Wire 2700HGV would be a good replacement for me
Considering sky's T&C of having to use their Sagem?

I have no experience of Sky broadband. However, if they will not replace the
kit then I would be tempted to move to another ISP. Have you put this
possibility to Sky because it might concentrate their minds?
Peter Crosland

Yes I have I have several times, each helpline person I speak to wants
to go over the same checkpoints again even though there are previous
reports and tickets detailing my problems
However, I'm stuck with them til August (12 monthe contract)

I'll have another go & probably be confronted with a person whose
first language is not english AGAIN & have to request another operator
I'm seriously tempted to pull-the-plug whatever the consequences
--
Martin