Which router?

Old June 15th 09, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Default Which router?

I got a bit of a shock last night..my ageing D-link that can JUST ABOUT
do 4000kbps was temporarily replaced by a friends Belkin, to test it and
see if it worked.

5700kbps. Oh dear..

ANYWAY. it looks like a more modern router is the thing..so..

What can do

- full *inbound* firewalling
- Inbound port mapping
- snmp traffic monitoring
- ethernet
- adsl2 potentially.

Wireless not needed but happy to have it.

Old June 15th 09, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

In message , The Natural Philosopher
wrote
I got a bit of a shock last night..my ageing D-link that can JUST
ABOUT do 4000kbps was temporarily replaced by a friends Belkin, to test
it and see if it worked.

5700kbps. Oh dear..

But is it a reliable 5700kbps link and if the router was left in place
would you get line drops resulting in the speed returning to a stable
4000kbps within a few weeks?

--
Alan
Old June 15th 09, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Alan wrote:
| In message , The Natural Philosopher
| wrote
|| I got a bit of a shock last night..my ageing D-link that can JUST
|| ABOUT do 4000kbps was temporarily replaced by a friends Belkin, to
|| test it and see if it worked.
|| 5700kbps. Oh dear..
|
| But is it a reliable 5700kbps link and if the router was left in
| place would you get line drops resulting in the speed returning to
| a stable 4000kbps within a few weeks?

And (depending on which model off course) how long before the power
supply plays up & blocks not only your service but that of all the
neighbours as well?

Old June 16th 09, 01:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Alan wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
wrote
I got a bit of a shock last night..my ageing D-link that can JUST
ABOUT do 4000kbps was temporarily replaced by a friends Belkin, to
test it and see if it worked.

5700kbps. Oh dear..

But is it a reliable 5700kbps link and if the router was left in place
would you get line drops resulting in the speed returning to a stable
4000kbps within a few weeks?

Noise margin was 7dB, so probably..
Old June 16th 09, 02:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Kráftéé wrote:
Alan wrote:
| In message , The Natural Philosopher
| wrote
|| I got a bit of a shock last night..my ageing D-link that can JUST
|| ABOUT do 4000kbps was temporarily replaced by a friends Belkin, to
|| test it and see if it worked.
|| 5700kbps. Oh dear..
|
| But is it a reliable 5700kbps link and if the router was left in
| place would you get line drops resulting in the speed returning to
| a stable 4000kbps within a few weeks?

And (depending on which model off course) how long before the power
supply plays up & blocks not only your service but that of all the
neighbours as well?

? what *are* you talking about ?

I dont have neighbours.
Old June 17th 09, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
| Kráftéé wrote:
|| Alan wrote:
||| In message , The Natural
||| Philosopher wrote
||| But is it a reliable 5700kbps link and if the router was left in
||| place would you get line drops resulting in the speed returning to
||| a stable 4000kbps within a few weeks?
|| And (depending on which model off course) how long before the power
|| supply plays up & blocks not only your service but that of all the
|| neighbours as well?
| ? what *are* you talking about ?
|
| I dont have neighbours.

If you're that far out then you're doubly susceptible to interference
affecting your DSL service then.

Old June 18th 09, 09:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Kráftéé wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
| Kráftéé wrote:
|| Alan wrote:
||| In message , The Natural
||| Philosopher wrote
||| But is it a reliable 5700kbps link and if the router was left in
||| place would you get line drops resulting in the speed returning to
||| a stable 4000kbps within a few weeks?
|| And (depending on which model off course) how long before the power
|| supply plays up & blocks not only your service but that of all the
|| neighbours as well?
| ? what *are* you talking about ?
|
| I dont have neighbours.

If you're that far out then you're doubly susceptible to interference
affecting your DSL service then.

I am vastly amused at what must be going on in your head.

Far out of what?

Old June 18th 09, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
| Kráftéé wrote:
|| The Natural Philosopher wrote:
||| ? what *are* you talking about ?
||| I dont have neighbours.
|| If you're that far out then you're doubly susceptible to
|| interference affecting your DSL service then.
| I am vastly amused at what must be going on in your head.
|
| Far out of what?

If you have no neighbours you are probably living in a rural
enviroment. Most (if not all) exchanges are placed in urban/village
enviroments. Putting the 2 together suggest you live a fair distance
away from your exchange which means that there is more probability of
interference, knowing cases where the cause of interference to the DSL
service can be miles away, one being a farmers electric fence earthing
thru the grass allowed to grow under it and another where it was a SKY
box and that is only from my experience.

So it's quite logical it you bother to think about, but of course you
won't as this will turn into a point scoring exercise for you, so I
bid you farewell & hope you never have any problems.

Old June 19th 09, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

Kráftéé wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
| Kráftéé wrote:
|| Alan wrote:
||| In message , The Natural
||| Philosopher wrote
||| But is it a reliable 5700kbps link and if the router was left in
||| place would you get line drops resulting in the speed returning to
||| a stable 4000kbps within a few weeks?
|| And (depending on which model off course) how long before the power
|| supply plays up & blocks not only your service but that of all the
|| neighbours as well?
| ? what *are* you talking about ?
|
| I dont have neighbours.

If you're that far out then you're doubly susceptible to interference
affecting your DSL service then.

I am vastly amused at what must be going on in your head.

Far out of what?

I think he is thinking about a long rural overhead electricity
supply line arcing and sparking, and not the wall-wart
connecting your router to the mains as you might have thought.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 19th 09, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Graham. wrote:
| "The Natural Philosopher" wrote in message
| Kráftéé wrote:
|| The Natural Philosopher wrote:
||| ? what *are* you talking about ?
||| I dont have neighbours.
|| If you're that far out then you're doubly susceptible to
|| interference affecting your DSL service then.
| I am vastly amused at what must be going on in your head.
|
| Far out of what?
|
| I think he is thinking about a long rural overhead electricity
| supply line arcing and sparking, and not the wall-wart
| connecting your router to the mains as you might have thought.

Plus other things, but I should have known the 'Natural
Philosopher'would turn it into a ****ing contest and I just can't be
bothered. The man (?) who thinks he knows everything & expects every
body else to be at his low level & so takes the **** out of any
differing views. Na, got better things to do, like watching paint
dry or watching the backup continue byte by byte.