50p tarrif per month on your phone - to pay for broadband.

Old June 16th 09, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The dog from that film you saw

Default 50p tarrif per month on your phone - to pay for broadband.

that's the new government idea - if it gets me 100mbit that's great - but i
imagine they are thinking a pitiful 2mbit.

--
Gareth.

that fly...... is your magic wand....

Old June 16th 09, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

On 16-Jun-2009, "The dog from that film you saw"
wrote:

if it gets me 100mbit that's great

From BT - over copper - they are joking.
Whilst other nations recognised the importance of broadband,
and were getting on with putting in the infrastructure, Ian Vallance
and co were more interested in their golf and pensions than
broadband.
Which I why the government had to break their monopoly.
If they had embraced broadband and had a rolling program
of FTC they would by now, having monoply on their ducts,
be the only game in town.
Now they are facing the heat of competition and the bottom
has dropped out of their share price, not to mention the
redundencies.
Still I expect they all got gold plated pensions.
Old June 16th 09, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

The dog from that film you saw wrote:
that's the new government idea - if it gets me 100mbit that's great -
but i imagine they are thinking a pitiful 2mbit.

Everything this government decides will be open to review when the next
one arrives.
Old June 16th 09, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Swift

In article , The dog from that film
you saw writes
that's the new government idea - if it gets me 100mbit that's great -
but i imagine they are thinking a pitiful 2mbit.

You've got it in one, yet another stupid idea from a stupid government
and more stealth tax. I get a good deal from Virgin Mediocre but if this
comes in the land line goes, it would probably be cheaper to run the pay
as you go mobile anyway for the small amount of calls we make.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange
Old June 16th 09, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Michael Swift" wrote in message
news
In article , The dog from that film
you saw writes
that's the new government idea - if it gets me 100mbit that's great -
but i imagine they are thinking a pitiful 2mbit.

You've got it in one, yet another stupid idea from a stupid government
and more stealth tax. I get a good deal from Virgin Mediocre but if this
comes in the land line goes, it would probably be cheaper to run the pay
as you go mobile anyway for the small amount of calls we make.

Mike

I heard that Yorkshiremen were mean but giving up the landline to avoid
paying a measly 50p extra per month?
;-)

George

Old June 16th 09, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
The dog from that film you saw wrote:
that's the new government idea - if it gets me 100mbit that's great -
but i imagine they are thinking a pitiful 2mbit.

Everything this government decides will be open to review when the next
one arrives.

It will be open to review if, in the most extremely unlikely event, this
government gets re-elected. Probably be announce a further dozen or so
times whilst the money is being spent elsewhere.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old June 16th 09, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Michael Swift wrote:

yet another stupid idea from a stupid government and more stealth tax.

In what way is this a stealth tax?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
20:08:25 up 41 days, 1:40, 3 users, load average: 0.11, 0.13, 0.09

Old June 16th 09, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Swift

In article , George Weston
writes
You've got it in one, yet another stupid idea from a stupid government
and more stealth tax. I get a good deal from Virgin Mediocre but if this
comes in the land line goes, it would probably be cheaper to run the pay
as you go mobile anyway for the small amount of calls we make.

Mike

I heard that Yorkshiremen were mean but giving up the landline to avoid
paying a measly 50p extra per month?
;-)

Not mean, careful :-)

It's not the 50p it's the extra tax on top of all the others.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange
Old June 16th 09, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Swift

In article , alexd
writes
yet another stupid idea from a stupid government and more stealth tax.

In what way is this a stealth tax?

Do you really think this shower will do anything they promise, look at
their record, if it ever happens the money will vanish into the general
tax pot and the telecoms providers and ISP's will end up footing the
bill, that's you and me, so it's a stealth tax.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange
Old June 16th 09, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Michael Swift" wrote in message
news
In article , alexd
writes
yet another stupid idea from a stupid government and more stealth tax.

In what way is this a stealth tax?

Do you really think this shower will do anything they promise, look at
their record, if it ever happens the money will vanish into the general
tax pot and the telecoms providers and ISP's will end up footing the
bill, that's you and me, so it's a stealth tax.

I see your point, a previous instance being the "road tax", now renamed the
vehicle tax.
When introduced, it was ring-fenced to provide road improvements.
It now just goes into the general taxation pot.

George