Testing 999

Old June 20th 09, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob Jordan

Default Testing 999

Just a check: I have a Trixbox PBX and would like to test 999
connectivity.

Is it acceptable to dial 999 and ask them to confirm that they can
hear us?

Thanks
Old June 21st 09, 07:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
cybuerke

Rob Jordan wrote:
Just a check: I have a Trixbox PBX and would like to test 999
connectivity.

Is it acceptable to dial 999 and ask them to confirm that they can
hear us?

Thanks

You are considering using an emergency channel to ask if your Trixbox is
set up correctly?

Tell you what - wait until you've got a headache, and report that at the
same time. That'd make your call more worthwhile.

boggle
Old June 21st 09, 08:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Blunt

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 07:04:33 +0100, cybuerke
wrote:

Rob Jordan wrote:
Just a check: I have a Trixbox PBX and would like to test 999
connectivity.

Is it acceptable to dial 999 and ask them to confirm that they can
hear us?

Thanks

You are considering using an emergency channel to ask if your Trixbox is
set up correctly?

Quite obviously its not the general setup that he wants to check. He
specifically wants to verify that emergency calls will work.

Chris
Old June 21st 09, 08:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
cybuerke

wrote:

You are considering using an emergency channel to ask if your Trixbox is
set up correctly?

Quite obviously its not the general setup that he wants to check. He
specifically wants to verify that emergency calls will work.

Chris

It must be me.

Yes, I was able to understand what he *specifically* wanted to do.
Obviously...

Does it not alarm you that that particular test would even be considered
by someone who presumably has enough nous to install a pbx?

Maybe it's another of those generation thingies...
Old June 21st 09, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Rob Jordan wrote:
Just a check: I have a Trixbox PBX and would like to test 999
connectivity.

Is it acceptable to dial 999 and ask them to confirm that they can
hear us?

It is (was?) a good idea for traditional PBX installation people to
make a test 999 call to make sure it was all working and setup OK - I'm
told that you say something like "Engineer testing PBX installation",
then give your name & the installation address...

However you don't say if you're testing a VoIP connection or Analogue,
ISDN2, etc. and if VoIP, who your VoIP carrier is - not all support 999
yet.

Or you can do what I did - climb a ladder, have it disintegrate under you,
land awkwardly, dislocate half your foot, bruise your bum, then crawl
into your house to make a 999 call...

I have been told to explicitly not test 999 calls over VoIP though, but at
least I know it works - I've used it, and I've seen my customers use it.

Gordon
Old June 21st 09, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

cybuerke wrote:

Does it not alarm you that that particular test would even be considered
by someone who presumably has enough nous to install a pbx?

Does it not alarm you that somebody installing a PBX wouldn't want to
confirm a piece of potentially critical functionality before declaring
mission accomplished?

Maybe it's another of those generation thingies...

It must be, because I don't know what you're whining about.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
10:12:16 up 45 days, 16:20, 2 users, load average: 0.08, 0.17, 0.17

Old June 21st 09, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob Jordan

Does it not alarm you that that particular test would even be considered
by someone who presumably has enough nous to install a pbx?

I'm sorry you're so offended.

The PBX is working fine for other calls; however, this PBX is also to
be the primary telephone system in a small (8 person) office.

Currently, we use BT Featurelines.

Out of a duty of care for my colleagues, I do not wish to tell them
that 999 may be dialled from any phone in the office, if this isn't
true.

If there is an issue with 999 being dialled from VOIP, I would instead
draw attention to a special phone which may be used in an emergency.

I really don't know why you take such issue to me testing the
emergency features of a PBX, to ensure that they work. I do not wish
to find out that they don't work when a real emergency happens and my
colleagues do not know which of the phones is *not* VOIP.

I am not suggesting I am testing the general setup with 999- of course
I am not.
Old June 21st 09, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paulg0

"Rob Jordan" wrote in message
I am not suggesting I am testing the general setup with 999- of course
I am not.

There is a post at the bottom of this thread:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....=999+test+call
that is supposed to be from a 999 operator. They state that the emergency
services receive many test calls every day, and that as long as you don't
take the **** they will not mind at all.

I would say that if it is essential to you proving that your (installation)
business address is safe then do a single test call, explain to the operator
that you are commisioning a PABX and this is a test call, and you will be
OK

Paul

Old June 22nd 09, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
mr deo

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
In article

,
Rob Jordan wrote:
[...]

Bet your not wanting to test it again soon :P...

Old June 22nd 09, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo Markettos

Paulg0 wrote:
There is a post at the bottom of this thread:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....=999+test+call
that is supposed to be from a 999 operator. They state that the emergency
services receive many test calls every day, and that as long as you don't
take the **** they will not mind at all.

If you're unsure, you could always ring your local police's non-emergency
number and ask.

Theo