Desk IP phone with PSTN connection

Old June 23rd 09, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Lord

Default Desk IP phone with PSTN connection

Is there stand-alone IP desk phone which will do all of the following:

Incoming calls via a single PSTN line
Incoming calls via 3 SIP accounts (different providers)
Outgoing calls via 2 or 3 other SIP providers
Allow a minimum of 1 call for each incoming number/account to be in
use, held, or visibly ‘ringing’ at any time.

Alternatively is anyone aware of a 3 or 4 line POTS phone available in
the UK?

I'm currently achieving this with a Fritzbox and a PBX, which seems a
bit of overkill to feed calls to one user.

Thanks for any help.

--

Andy
Old June 23rd 09, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Andy Lord wrote:
Is there stand-alone IP desk phone which will do all of the following:

Incoming calls via a single PSTN line
Incoming calls via 3 SIP accounts (different providers)
Outgoing calls via 2 or 3 other SIP providers
Allow a minimum of 1 call for each incoming number/account to be in
use, held, or visibly ‘ringing’ at any time.

Alternatively is anyone aware of a 3 or 4 line POTS phone available in
the UK?

I'm currently achieving this with a Fritzbox and a PBX, which seems a
bit of overkill to feed calls to one user.

There are some DECT phones which can do more or less what you want. The
Siemens range can take 6 (I think) SIP accounts and one PSTN port. Not
quite a desk phone, but ...

The other alternative might be a PBX with a single analogue port - one
that can handle many SIP accounts - Build your own using pbx ina flash,
trixbox, etc. out of a spare PC.

What are you actually trying to achieve?

Gordon
Old June 23rd 09, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Lord

On 23 June, 11:10, Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Andy Lord wrote:

[...]

Just to have the 4 'lines' presented to one desk telephone, without
the need for an extra box. It's worked fine for over 2 years with the
Fritz and the PBX but it takes up too much space, it's messy and the
Fritz has now been working constantly for around 3 years and is
probably due for retirement to less critical uses.

The ideal solution would have all the (telephone) features of the
Fritzbox built in to a desk telephone.

I suppose I could go all VOIP and abandon the PSTN line, but I've yet
to find a VOIP service that can give me the sort of reliability I get
from a BT line.

--

Andy
Old June 23rd 09, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

,
Andy Lord wrote:

[...]

So how about a new Fritz box? They still make them...

What features of the PBX are you using?

But do look at the Siemens DECT phones - One PSTN port, 6 SIP ports, 3
concurrent calls (not that that matters if it's just you) The down-side
is that it's not a desk phone. The up-side is that you can put the base
unit next to the phone line and router, leaving the handset (and it's
charger) to go where you want it.

I suppose I could go all VOIP and abandon the PSTN line, but I've yet
to find a VOIP service that can give me the sort of reliability I get
from a BT line.

Hm. I currently have a customer with working broadband, but not a working
voice line - on the same copper pair )-: They normally do use the copper
for outgoing calls, but are having to use VoIP right now!

Gordon
Old June 23rd 09, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Lord

On 23 June, 12:46, Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Andy Lord wrote:

So how about a new Fritz box? They still make them...

What features of the PBX are you using?

It's the PBX I'm trying to get rid of - it's only used to consolidate
the lines onto one phone. I'm just reviewing my options because the
Fritz is due for replacement.

But do look at the Siemens DECT phones - One PSTN port, 6 SIP ports, 3
concurrent calls (not that that matters if it's just you) The down-side
is that it's not a desk phone. The up-side is that you can put the base
unit next to the phone line and router, leaving the handset (and it's
charger) to go where you want it.

I like a big desktop phone with a proper display, chunky buttons and a
handset that can be slammed down when I'm in the mood. And I often
have 3 concurrent calls, even if it is just me.

--

Andy
Old June 23rd 09, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

Andy Lord wrote:
Is there stand-alone IP desk phone which will do all of the following:

Incoming calls via a single PSTN line
Incoming calls via 3 SIP accounts (different providers)
Outgoing calls via 2 or 3 other SIP providers
Allow a minimum of 1 call for each incoming number/account to be in
use, held, or visibly ‘ringing’ at any time.

Alternatively is anyone aware of a 3 or 4 line POTS phone available in
the UK?

I'm currently achieving this with a Fritzbox and a PBX, which seems a
bit of overkill to feed calls to one user.

Thanks for any help.

--

Andy

You could replace that setup with a new Fritzbox and a single IP phone.
You'll need either a 7170 or a 7270 Fritzbox (the 7270 has a built in
DECT base station). However (and I guess this is a big however) the
required SIP server functionality isn't currently available in the
Fritzboxes, it's due at the next firmware release which I'm told should
be within a few weeks. This will allow you to register a SIP phone to
the Fritzbox and use it as the PBX. Drop me an email offlist if you
want more info "[email protected]" the domain this mail was sent from.

I'd recommend using a snom handset, 320, 360 or 370. They are good
quality which will withstand a fair bit of abuse.

cheers,
Paul.
Old June 23rd 09, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

Andy Lord wrote:

So how about a new Fritz box? They still make them...

What features of the PBX are you using?

It's the PBX I'm trying to get rid of - it's only used to consolidate
the lines onto one phone. I'm just reviewing my options because the
Fritz is due for replacement.

But do look at the Siemens DECT phones - One PSTN port, 6 SIP ports, 3
concurrent calls (not that that matters if it's just you) The down-side
is that it's not a desk phone. The up-side is that you can put the base
unit next to the phone line and router, leaving the handset (and it's
charger) to go where you want it.

I like a big desktop phone with a proper display, chunky buttons and a
handset that can be slammed down when I'm in the mood. And I often
have 3 concurrent calls, even if it is just me.

;-)

Well I'm out of options then - Barring buying a PBX that combines the
functions of both your existing PBX and the Fritz box - ie. one with
a single analogue port and the ability to handle X VoIP trunks, and a
single multi-line VoIP desk-phone... And although this is something I
make & sell, I'd be hesitant to suggest it as it's probably not going
to be a cost effective solution for you. (My real target is the SME with
6+ people)

(Although by all means drop me an email)

A low-price option might be the Atcom unit - this:

http://www.voipon.co.uk/atcom-ip01-a...ce-p-1057.html

with one FXO port is 162+23 = £185+VAT. Add a Grandstream GXP2000 for
another £71+VAT and off you go. (Snom phones have heavier handsets though
if you like to slam things down, but cost more!)

Not sure what the GUI is like on those boxes though, so I don't know
how flexable they are in terms of programming and setup.

Gordon
Old June 23rd 09, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Andy Lord schreef:
Is there stand-alone IP desk phone which will do all of the following:

Incoming calls via a single PSTN line
Incoming calls via 3 SIP accounts (different providers)
Outgoing calls via 2 or 3 other SIP providers
Allow a minimum of 1 call for each incoming number/account to be in
use, held, or visibly ‘ringing’ at any time.

Alternatively is anyone aware of a 3 or 4 line POTS phone available in
the UK?

I'm currently achieving this with a Fritzbox and a PBX, which seems a
bit of overkill to feed calls to one user.

Thanks for any help.

--

Andy

Gigaset 301 D (Siemens) it's a DECT IP base station, you can have up to
6 handsets, upto 6 VSP's has several network function, RSS feeds, read
email, voicemail functions are prog. per service provider, use any Dect
handset, (but Siemens give advantage for full functioning)
Per handset you can decide in which way you want to make your call,
Analog/pots, VoIP, or internal.
And set a dialplan, to make dialing transperant.

It's easy to configure, good software/firmware, where Fritz!box fails
And a service like Voxalot,Sipbroker, or Mysipswitch, make life even
more comfortable...

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.

Old June 23rd 09, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

In ,
Andy Lord typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: Is there stand-alone IP desk phone which will do all of the following:
:
: Incoming calls via a single PSTN line
: Incoming calls via 3 SIP accounts (different providers)
: Outgoing calls via 2 or 3 other SIP providers
: Allow a minimum of 1 call for each incoming number/account to be in
: use, held, or visibly ‘ringing’ at any time.
:
: Alternatively is anyone aware of a 3 or 4 line POTS phone available in
: the UK?
:
: I'm currently achieving this with a Fritzbox and a PBX, which seems a
: bit of overkill to feed calls to one user.
:
: Thanks for any help.

That's exactly what I do here, the PBX also has the advantage of internal
calls around the house.

Ivor

Old June 24th 09, 08:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Lord

On 23 June, 14:20, Paul Hayes wrote:
Andy Lord wrote:
[...]

That sounds an interesting proposition, although I was hoping to
offset the cost of the phone by making do with a cheap router, or one
from the junk cupboard. It's worth thinking about though, thanks.

--

Andy