VoIP provider - How to make phone calls abroad

Old June 23rd 09, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve James

Default VoIP provider - How to make phone calls abroad

Hi Guys,

I wonder if someone can tell me, how VoIP providers can send your phone
call.

ex: I am based in Germany and I want to make a phone call in the UK.
My German provider will send my call TO the UK.

- How will he connect my phone call to the UK landline ?
- Do they hire some access ? If so... from who ??

( I suppose that they don't hire the lines from a UK VoIP provider....
how do they make this connection on Landline ??? )

Thanks
Old June 23rd 09, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Steve James schreef:
Hi Guys,

I wonder if someone can tell me, how VoIP providers can send your phone
call.

ex: I am based in Germany and I want to make a phone call in the UK.
My German provider will send my call TO the UK.

- How will he connect my phone call to the UK landline ?
- Do they hire some access ? If so... from who ??

( I suppose that they don't hire the lines from a UK VoIP provider....
how do they make this connection on Landline ??? )

Thanks

You don't need to worry about that, your voice will be made into data,
voice codec, etc. it then travels around the internet in "packets"
from server to server, that's also the weak part of voip, some packets
get lost, because of bad addresses, (NAT) and you have only one way
audio, you then have to forward port 5060 , so the addresses get guided,
from your internal network IP to the external ones, because this is your
protection, so other people can't get onto your internal network easily.

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.

Old June 23rd 09, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve James

Le Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:14:22 +0200, TheFug a écrit*:

Steve James schreef:
[...]

Thanks for your answer...
I know how this is working with the VoIP provider ( I mean my connection
with the VoIP provider ). What I would like to understand is HOW does it
work AFTER My phone call reached the VoIP provider....

Old June 23rd 09, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo Markettos

Steve James wrote:
- How will he connect my phone call to the UK landline ?
- Do they hire some access ? If so... from who ??

Someone like Magrathea will do VOIP-PSTN termination.

The main point with VOIP is most of the long distance transit happens on the
internet. On the traditional PSTN you have to pay per km the call travels,
while on the internet the transmission is 'free'. So what usually happens
is the call travels over the internet to somewhere near to the recipient,
and then it is transferred over the PSTN for the minimal distance.

Effectively all calls become local or national ones inside the destination
country. So you can call the world for the price of a local call (in the
destination country - these prices vary quite a bit from country to country).

Since it's VOIP, it doesn't have to be local to the destination either. If
it turns out to be cheaper to call UK mobiles from Nigeria than it is from
the UK (such pricing anomalies happen regularly) then VOIP can send the call
to Nigeria to enter the PSTN there.

Theo
Old June 24th 09, 12:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Theo Markettos schreef:
Steve James wrote:
[...]

I guess you can do the same even without having voip yourself,
you can dial a`local gateway/access number, where you can choose a
network code (peer code) and dial also the number of that user.
www.sipbroker.com can help you with that.
aka calling card ? (like Callcentric)

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.

Old June 24th 09, 07:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve James

Le Wed, 24 Jun 2009 01:11:27 +0200, TheFug a écrit*:

Theo Markettos schreef:
Steve James wrote:
[...]

Does it mean that they VoIP provider have a local connection in each
country ??????
Or they probably hire this kind of equipment ??

That's I would like to understand, how `physically` the phone call will
arrive in a different country (On a landline for instance )

Old June 25th 09, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Steve James wrote:
Hi Guys,

I wonder if someone can tell me, how VoIP providers can send your phone
call.

ex: I am based in Germany and I want to make a phone call in the UK.
My German provider will send my call TO the UK.

- How will he connect my phone call to the UK landline ?
- Do they hire some access ? If so... from who ??

They will have 1 of 2 things.

1) an agreement with a wholesale telecom provider in germany who is
happy to take UK calls. Calls will go from VoIP land to telco land in
germany.

(this would almost be the same as if you picked up a landline in germany
and called a UK number)

2) an agreement with a wholesale telecom provider in the UK. Call will
go from VoIP land to telco land in the UK.

or both.

The price difference between 1 and 2 from a wholesale perspective is
likely to be very small. If the provider was doing just a few calls
to the UK, they would probably do 1. If they were doing lots of calls
to the UK, then they would probably do 2, but with 1 as a backup route.

The way wholesale telecoms work is that you have several outbound routes
for a number range. You try your first choice and see if the call is
accepted. If that fails, you try your second choice.

Tim