do plusnet throttle apple tv?

Old June 24th 09, 11:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

Default do plusnet throttle apple tv?

Hi, I'm with plusnet and I really like them (uk cust service is brilliant).

But my apple tv crawls most evenings when my web connection from my
laptop is fine. It makes downloading movies or trailers impossible.

I saw in the I love plusnet thread they throttle certain things. Would
apple tv be one of them or is the slow speed likely to be apple's servers?

Cheers for any help,

Tom
Old June 25th 09, 12:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Tom wrote:
Hi, I'm with plusnet and I really like them (uk cust service is brilliant).

But my apple tv crawls most evenings when my web connection from my
laptop is fine. It makes downloading movies or trailers impossible.

I saw in the I love plusnet thread they throttle certain things. Would
apple tv be one of them or is the slow speed likely to be apple's servers?

Hi Tom,

Most downloads from Apple are delivered across the Limelight Networks CDN.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadban..._servers.shtml

Our 'Pro' account isn't subject to these limitations.

--
+-------------- twitter.com/plusnet -----------------
Old June 25th 09, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dean

Plusnet Support Team wrote:
Tom wrote:
Hi, I'm with plusnet and I really like them (uk cust service is
brilliant).

But my apple tv crawls most evenings when my web connection from my
laptop is fine. It makes downloading movies or trailers impossible.

I saw in the I love plusnet thread they throttle certain things. Would
apple tv be one of them or is the slow speed likely to be apple's
servers?

Hi Tom,

Most downloads from Apple are delivered across the Limelight Networks CDN.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadban..._servers.shtml

Our 'Pro' account isn't subject to these limitations.

But you have to pay through the nose unless you do your downloading
overnight. Kerching!
Old June 25th 09, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Falco

Tom wrote:
Hi, I'm with plusnet and I really like them (uk cust service is
brilliant).
But my apple tv crawls most evenings when my web connection from my
laptop is fine. It makes downloading movies or trailers impossible.

I saw in the I love plusnet thread they throttle certain things. Would
apple tv be one of them or is the slow speed likely to be apple's
servers?
Cheers for any help,

Tom

Done, and thanks for the heads-up

Old June 25th 09, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

Plusnet Support Team wrote:
Tom wrote:
Hi, I'm with plusnet and I really like them (uk cust service is
brilliant).

But my apple tv crawls most evenings when my web connection from my
laptop is fine. It makes downloading movies or trailers impossible.

I saw in the I love plusnet thread they throttle certain things. Would
apple tv be one of them or is the slow speed likely to be apple's
servers?

Hi Tom,

Most downloads from Apple are delivered across the Limelight Networks CDN.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadban..._servers.shtml

Our 'Pro' account isn't subject to these limitations.

Hi Bob,

Cheers for the quick response.

It would be good if something could be done about this or throttling
could be reduced.

In the day I choose a movie and have to wait about 10 seconds before
enough of it is cached for me to start watching.

But in the evening I have to wait over 3 hours or more.

I'm probably one of your lightest users so it would be good if something
can be done about this - otherwise the apple tv (which isn't the
greatest bit of kit ever) is unusable unless I'm planning what to watch
in advance.

Seems a shame to penalise people using off the shelf goods, not just
filesharers etc.

Thanks,

Tom
Old June 25th 09, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Tom wrote:
Plusnet Support Team wrote:
Tom wrote:
[...]

I'm not quite sure why you think Plusnet should favour apple tv over
filesharers. It seems to me that it isn't Plusnet's job to decide what
is virtuous, why should they judge? Their job is to please as many
customers as possible.

What Plusnet are trying to do is provide the best customer service
experience for as many users as possible. The unfortunate truth is that
bandwidth is limited and that providing a good customer experience for a
high bandwidth user is equivalent to providing a similar service for
many low bandwidth users. So pleasing the many wins.

Obviously not everyone will agree with Plusnet's decisions. To my mind
the best soultion would be if users were allocated bandwidth at various
QoS (Quality of Serivce) levels and hence allowed to define their own
priorities.

While I'm actually very interested and generally supportive of Plusnet's
approach. I myself use BE and they currently appear to be able to
provide high bandwidth at peak times with out throttling or
prioritizing, However I suspect this will change as average user
bandwidth increases.
Old June 26th 09, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Tom wrote:
Plusnet Support Team wrote:
Tom wrote:
[...]

Ah I see. Must admit, I'm not overly familiar with Apple TV but I'm
guessing it's intended to work as a real-time streaming hub?

I'm probably one of your lightest users so it would be good if something
can be done about this - otherwise the apple tv (which isn't the
greatest bit of kit ever) is unusable unless I'm planning what to watch
in advance.

If it's streaming then it should be prioritised IMO. Problem is we're
going to need some traffic captures so we can make sure it gets picked
up correctly. That's not going to be easy as you'll need to plug
something in between your router and the Apple TV box to sniff the
traffic. A computer running Wireshark or something like that.

If you can do this then great, otherwise I'll ask around the office to
see if anybody here's got an Apple TV box...

Old July 1st 09, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Tom wrote:
Hi Bob,

Cheers for the quick response.

It would be good if something could be done about this or throttling
could be reduced.

Tom,

We're hoping to have a fix out tomorrow morning that should make things
better for you -

http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1246480176.htm