Broadband switch - Why so long to action

Old June 25th 09, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RDD

Default Broadband switch - Why so long to action

Looking to switch to basic Be broadband from Metronet ( as was),
However quote 2-4 weeks to action. During that time no broadband - this
is not an option for me - daily use needed.

Any ideas how to get round problem.

Thanks.
Old June 25th 09, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"rdd" wrote in message
o.uk...
Looking to switch to basic Be broadband from Metronet ( as was), However
quote 2-4 weeks to action. During that time no broadband - this is not an
option for me - daily use needed.

Any ideas how to get round problem.

Thanks.

Is this a normal MAC migration?

Did you ask Be why the down-time?
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 25th 09, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RDD

Graham. wrote:
"rdd" wrote in message
o.uk...
Looking to switch to basic Be broadband from Metronet ( as was), However
quote 2-4 weeks to action. During that time no broadband - this is not an
option for me - daily use needed.

Any ideas how to get round problem.

Thanks.

Is this a normal MAC migration?

Did you ask Be why the down-time?

Since posting I have phoned Be pre-sales help line. They say that the
PAYG ISP I am currently using should allow me to continue using them
until the day of the change over. I would have of course to pay for that
changeover period use. In such a case, there would only be a few (two or
so) hours disconnected.

If that is the case then not so bad. But if not then I have problems,
and once signed up for Be there is a cancellation fee if things don't
work out.
Old June 25th 09, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

rdd wrote:
| Looking to switch to basic Be broadband from Metronet ( as was),
| However quote 2-4 weeks to action. During that time no broadband -
| this is not an option for me - daily use needed.
|
| Any ideas how to get round problem.
|
| Thanks.

Migration should only be a matter of minutes, well maybe an hour if
the jumper person has a fag break half way thru.

Old June 25th 09, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

rdd wrote:

there is a cancellation fee if things don't work out.

BT introduced this cute little trick a while ago, so it has spread like
wildfire across the industry.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:33:01 up 50 days, 4:29, 2 users, load average: 0.22, 0.25, 0.18

Old June 26th 09, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Kráftéé" wrote in message
rdd wrote:
| Looking to switch to basic Be broadband from Metronet ( as was),
| However quote 2-4 weeks to action. During that time no broadband -
| this is not an option for me - daily use needed.
|
| Any ideas how to get round problem.
|
| Thanks.

Migration should only be a matter of minutes, well maybe an hour if
the jumper person has a fag break half way thru.

The OP mentioned PAYG in his second message - could this be dial-up?

George

Old June 26th 09, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"George Weston" wrote in message

"Kráftéé" wrote in message
rdd wrote:
| Looking to switch to basic Be broadband from Metronet ( as was),
| However quote 2-4 weeks to action. During that time no broadband -
| this is not an option for me - daily use needed.
|
| Any ideas how to get round problem.
|
| Thanks.

Migration should only be a matter of minutes, well maybe an hour if
the jumper person has a fag break half way thru.

The OP mentioned PAYG in his second message - could this be dial-up?

George

ISWUM, but I doubt it somehow. Mind you, broadband ISP's
that surcharge you for going over the limit could be legitimately
called PAYG.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 26th 09, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RDD

"Kráftéé" wrote in message
rdd wrote:
| Looking to switch to basic Be broadband from Metronet ( as was),
| However quote 2-4 weeks to action. During that time no broadband -
| this is not an option for me - daily use needed.
|
| Any ideas how to get round problem.
|
| Thanks.

Migration should only be a matter of minutes, well maybe an hour if
the jumper person has a fag break half way thru.

The OP mentioned PAYG in his second message - could this be dial-up?

George

ISWUM, but I doubt it somehow. Mind you, broadband ISP's
that surcharge you for going over the limit could be legitimately
called PAYG.

FYI Metronet basic package was £10.00 + vat for 0.5 gb per month
therafter £1.00 per gb hence "PAYG" Currently achieve 4 mb dowload speed.

Great originally as a causal user. Now heavy user and not so cost
effective + throttling in evenings. Hence change to Be basic @£13.50
incl for higher speed 8mb downloads.
Old June 26th 09, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

"Kráftéé" wrote in message
rdd wrote:
| Looking to switch to basic Be broadband from Metronet ( as was),
| However quote 2-4 weeks to action. During that time no broadband -
| this is not an option for me - daily use needed.
|
| Any ideas how to get round problem.
|
| Thanks.

Migration should only be a matter of minutes, well maybe an hour if
the jumper person has a fag break half way thru.
The OP mentioned PAYG in his second message - could this be dial-up?

George

ISWUM, but I doubt it somehow. Mind you, broadband ISP's
that surcharge you for going over the limit could be legitimately
called PAYG.

FYI Metronet basic package was £10.00 + vat for 0.5 gb per month
therafter £1.00 per gb hence "PAYG" Currently achieve 4 mb dowload speed.

Great originally as a causal user. Now heavy user and not so cost
effective + throttling in evenings. Hence change to Be basic @£13.50
incl for higher speed 8mb downloads.

If you're only getting 4Mbps with us (we own Metronet) then it's
unlikely that you'll get much faster with Be.

Anyways, I thought Be's LLU offering was SMPF? If it is then there's no
reason why you can't migrate to them with only a negligible amount of
downtime?

Old June 27th 09, 12:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RDD

Plusnet Support TEam wrote:

"Kráftéé" wrote in message
rdd wrote:
| Looking to switch to basic Be broadband from Metronet ( as was),
| However quote 2-4 weeks to action. During that time no broadband -
| this is not an option for me - daily use needed.
|
| Any ideas how to get round problem.
|
| Thanks.

Migration should only be a matter of minutes, well maybe an hour if
the jumper person has a fag break half way thru.
The OP mentioned PAYG in his second message - could this be dial-up?

George

ISWUM, but I doubt it somehow. Mind you, broadband ISP's
that surcharge you for going over the limit could be legitimately
called PAYG.

FYI Metronet basic package was £10.00 + vat for 0.5 gb per month
therafter £1.00 per gb hence "PAYG" Currently achieve 4 mb dowload
speed.

Great originally as a causal user. Now heavy user and not so cost
effective + throttling in evenings. Hence change to Be basic @£13.50
incl for higher speed 8mb downloads.

If you're only getting 4Mbps with us (we own Metronet) then it's
unlikely that you'll get much faster with Be.

Anyways, I thought Be's LLU offering was SMPF? If it is then there's no
reason why you can't migrate to them with only a negligible amount of
downtime?

I note your comment above with some interest
my modem stats are as follows:-

ADSL Line State: Showtime
Downstream: 6176 Kbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps
Mode: ADSL2PlusAuto
Transmit Power: 11.7 dB
ADSL Link UP Time: 0 day 15 hour 24 min 6 sec
Operational Mode: G.Dmt

Item Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 15.0 dB 23 dB
Line Attenuation 20.5 dB 12.0 dB
CRC Errors 23 0
FEC Errors 299 1
HEC Errors 19 0

BT speedtest this evening was:-
"Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Your DSL connection rate: 6176 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 5000 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3947 kbps

I would sincerely hope I could expect an improvement on the above figures ?