O2 package

Old June 26th 09, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Ingle

Default O2 package

I have been a customer of O2 broadband on the Ultimate package since
last November. Although my router always syncs at around 20294 with an
uplink of 2342, over the past three months when I do speed tests it
usually is around 7500, though the uplink is pretty consistent at 1850.
with tests using a number of speed test sites

While I can't really complain about this, in the past I did get speeds
of up to 16MBit.

Bizzarely, because I pay an extra 5 pounds a month for a static address,
I can upgrade to the Pro package and save over two pounds a month,
because apparently the static address is no extra charge on that
tarriff.

Although the Pro package doesn't offer any faster download speed, apart
from the small saving, if I move to the Pro tarriff, does anyone know if
O2 will send me a new Wireless Box III or am I better off waiting till I
have been a customer for 12 months?

And is it likely that the Wireless Box III will make any improvement to
my download speeds?

TIA
Old June 27th 09, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Mark Ingle wrote:

I have been a customer of O2 broadband on the Ultimate package since
last November. Although my router always syncs at around 20294 with an
uplink of 2342, over the past three months when I do speed tests it
usually is around 7500, though the uplink is pretty consistent at 1850.
with tests using a number of speed test sites

While I can't really complain about this, in the past I did get speeds
of up to 16MBit.

Have you tried running a speed test whilst connected to the router with an
ethernet cable rather than wireless?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
12:05:20 up 51 days, 19:17, 2 users, load average: 0.25, 0.24, 0.27

Old June 27th 09, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Ingle

alexd wrote:

Have you tried running a speed test whilst connected to the router with an
ethernet cable rather than wireless?

You were absolutely right. Connecting an ethernet cable raised the speed
to 14.5MBit!

As connecting to the built in WiFi on the O2 box gave poor speeds, I
then tried connecting to my other WiFi access point (FritzBox), and the
speeds were only slightly slower than wired.

I've checked for WiFi congestion, and that doesn't seem to be an issue.
I have another Airport Express that connects to the WiFi to stream my
iTunes, and I wonder whether that is causing the slowdown.

As I can connect to either access point, the problem is solved!

Thanks.