BT broadband option 3: how much do you pay?

Old June 29th 09, 05:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bandwidth (Peter)

Default BT broadband option 3: how much do you pay?

"Fred" wrote...
Hello,

Further to my ongoing battle with BT, I am very concerned about BT's
lack of honesty and transparency with their broadband pricing. Option
3 is advertised as being 24pm. Yet I was offered it for 19pm until
they said I was not eligible due to my on-going fight (see other
thread). My neighbour has said that he has been offered it for 19pm
too. It seems very unfair that some people get it for 24 and others
get it for 19; shouldn't there be one price for everyone?

They are a business. Businesses can usually charge what they like.
There are some limits imposed by Ofcom, mainly because BT have a
dominant position.

It seems even more unfair that my neighbour can download what he wants
for 3*19=57 per quarter, whereas I, trapped on option one (see other
thread) am having to pay 300 in fines for the same! That's 243
difference for the same service.

I don't know about unfair, but there are many practices which may show
a lack of care or respect for customers.

Like charging more for cash, punishing those who cannot have a DD
(such as the poor) and those who don't trust banks. People laughed at
Doddie, but history has proved him right. Just avoid stashing in the
oven or a mattress, both have been proved risky :-)

Then there are the "free offer" tricks, which I think you fell foul of.
They call customers offering something for nothing. Or so it would
seem. This may be an updated modem or other device that you don't
need.
If you don't want it, they tell you, "but it's free"
If you continue to argue, then "the old one will no longer be
supported - you must have the new one". As soon as you agree to
take the "free offer", a new contract and minimum term applies.

Nothing is really free, they are covered in the price. That "free"
modem means that they have less to spend on the service and proper UK
based support.

Some years back, O2 suggested that old phones like the "Savvy" would
no longer work. This sold new phones, on new contracts at new prices.
Actually, the usual term is "no longer supported", which implies that
it will not work but may not really mean that. But the old "Savvy"
does still work, I have one.

Then there is the "connection charge", which makes massive amounts
from short calls. They then increased that charge, because others
will either have to follow (resellers) or decide to do so and boost
their profit.

And a charge because you no longer want or need their service?

Be careful when deciding on another provider, some have really bad
reputations. They don't seem to care, they can always buy another ISP
to get more customers.
If you do manage to leave BT, be prepared to be bombarded with begging
letters. One letter may be expected, but they take it to a whole new
level.

Peter.