Huawei D100 router on 3 network

Old June 29th 09, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

Default Huawei D100 router on 3 network

Hello,

I've signed up with 3 for their 15GB per month for 15 deal which
includes a free ZTE MF627 usb modem.

It all works okay via the usb port on my laptop but I quite like the
idea of being behind a nat device and also sharing the connection with
some other wifi enabled pc's

I read about the Huawei D100 on the 3 website. Are they any good?

I read also about the sharing being restricted to four devices. I
can't see the reasoning behind that unless they deliberately restrict
it to avoid competition with a more expensive device?

I suppose I'd have to get a Huawei usb modem to go with it unless
maybe there is a similar device which is compatible with the issued
ZTE modem?

Thanks for any advice.

Jim.

Old June 29th 09, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"James Egan" wrote in message

Hello,

I've signed up with 3 for their 15GB per month for 15 deal which
includes a free ZTE MF627 usb modem.

It all works okay via the usb port on my laptop but I quite like the
idea of being behind a nat device and also sharing the connection with
some other wifi enabled pc's

I read about the Huawei D100 on the 3 website. Are they any good?

I read also about the sharing being restricted to four devices. I
can't see the reasoning behind that unless they deliberately restrict
it to avoid competition with a more expensive device?

I suspect they mean the router only has the usual 4 outputs?

3g BB is slow enough without sharing it, wouldn't you be better off with
separate 3g dongles?

They may be still available for a fiver at:
http://www.3dongle4free.co.uk:80/

stick a normal 3 PAYG sim in it and top up the sim using a
3 phone for 5quid p.m.

Steve Terry

Old June 30th 09, 12:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 18:49:42 +0100, "Steve Terry"
wrote:

I suspect they mean the router only has the usual 4 outputs?

3g BB is slow enough without sharing it, wouldn't you be better off with
separate 3g dongles?

The landline I'm currently sharing out wirelessly has a bras profile
speed of 512k. The 3 usb wireless connection operates at about twice
that speed from my home location so it's quite an improvement. 15GB is
enough for me to share it out with the other household pc's without
incurring extra charges. It may be better to have separate dongles but
I've already signed up for the 15GB now so it's too late to change.

Jim.

Old June 30th 09, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
OJ

"James Egan" wrote in message

Hello,

I've signed up with 3 for their 15GB per month for 15 deal which
includes a free ZTE MF627 usb modem.

snip

I read about the Huawei D100 on the 3 website. Are they any good?

snip

I failed to get the D100 to work with my MF627. The troubleshooting pages of
the D100 manual state that the D100 will only work with Huawei modems so
back to CPW it went (where the D100 was on sale at half price).

OJ