device for testing UK adsl signal

Old July 1st 09, 12:18 PM posted to sci.electronics.equipment,uk.telecom.broadband
tg

Default device for testing UK adsl signal

in my job fixing internet connections (here in the UK) I constantly collide
with bad adsl signals and dodgy home telephone wiring and I need a device
that tests the presence/level/quality of the adsl signal on the line -
something I can plug into the BT socket and get an accurate reading. I
specifically want to test for any deterioration in the adsl signal in
extension sockets coming off the main socket.
I figured there must be a gadget somewhere that can do this but I've never
seen one. I've heard the argument about using routers but I'm not
interested in that, I'd rather get a dedicated device. Does anyone know of
such equipment?
thanks for any advice.

Old July 1st 09, 12:34 PM posted to sci.electronics.equipment,uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

tg wrote:
I figured there must be a gadget somewhere that can do this but I've never
seen one.

Try googling "ADSL handheld"

--
Adrian C
Old July 1st 09, 03:16 PM posted to sci.electronics.equipment,uk.telecom.broadband
PeterD

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 11:18:59 +0100, "tg"
wrote:

in my job fixing internet connections (here in the UK) I constantly collide
with bad adsl signals and dodgy home telephone wiring and I need a device
that tests the presence/level/quality of the adsl signal on the line -
something I can plug into the BT socket and get an accurate reading.

These (DSL) line test systems have existed and do exist. They are
available to industry, but are rather expensive, so you need to reveal
your budget before I'll bother researching and posting a list. We're
talking tens of thousands, IIRC for a reasonable tester.

specifically want to test for any deterioration in the adsl signal in
extension sockets coming off the main socket.
I figured there must be a gadget somewhere that can do this but I've never
seen one.

Consider a simple signal strength meter, with a 20 KHz high pass
filter.

Study DSL some more. Understand the bands used, the frequencies used.
Then you can come up with something realistic to test with, assuming
your budget doesn't allow for a dedicated tester.

But... Why are you running DSL to multiple sockets? Catch the DSL line
as it enters the premises and run the modem there, then split the POTS
line to the sockets as needed. Don't try to run the DSL places where
it is 'not needed'.

I've heard the argument about using routers but I'm not
interested in that,

What does a router have to do with this problem. That's an ethernet
device, and knows zip, zero, nothing, nada about DSL.

Old July 1st 09, 03:28 PM posted to sci.electronics.equipment,uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

In uk.telecom.broadband PeterD wrote:

: What does a router have to do with this problem. That's an ethernet
: device, and knows zip, zero, nothing, nada about DSL.

I had presumed this meant that most routers will give an analysis of the DSL
line (S/N levels, sync speeds etc.) on their control interface.
Old July 1st 09, 03:35 PM posted to sci.electronics.equipment,uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

Brian Mc wrote:
In uk.telecom.broadband PeterD wrote:

: What does a router have to do with this problem. That's an ethernet
: device, and knows zip, zero, nothing, nada about DSL.

I had presumed this meant that most routers will give an analysis of the DSL
line (S/N levels, sync speeds etc.) on their control interface.

.... If the router is a modem-router (as most are these days used in the
context of ADSL)

--
Adrian C
Old July 1st 09, 04:52 PM posted to sci.electronics.equipment,uk.telecom.broadband
reader443.eternal-september.org

wrote:

[...]

I see your logic, but most domestic grade routers sold in the UK
are hybrid devices and include a DSL modem and often a wireless
access point too. I suspect you are not in the UK, are things
different where you are?
Oh and we pronounce it "rooter" and not "rawter".

I certainly carry such a device for diagnostic purposes.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 1st 09, 05:25 PM posted to sci.electronics.equipment,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

in my job fixing internet connections (here in the UK) I constantly
collide
with bad adsl signals and dodgy home telephone wiring and I need a device
that tests the presence/level/quality of the adsl signal on the line -
something I can plug into the BT socket and get an accurate reading. I
specifically want to test for any deterioration in the adsl signal in
extension sockets coming off the main socket.
I figured there must be a gadget somewhere that can do this but I've never
seen one. I've heard the argument about using routers but I'm not
interested in that, I'd rather get a dedicated device. Does anyone know of
such equipment?
thanks for any advice.

They are available but expect to have to pay lots for one. Google ADSL
handheld for a range of them.

Peter Crosland

Old July 1st 09, 08:51 PM posted to sci.electronics.equipment,uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

tg wrote:

I've heard the argument about using routers but I'm not interested in
that,

Get a router that's compatible with DMT [http://dmt.mhilfe.de/] and you'll
be able to get a frequency response graph from each point where you'd like
to test.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:49:02 up 56 days, 3:53, 2 users, load average: 0.09, 0.26, 0.25

Old July 1st 09, 08:55 PM posted to sci.electronics.equipment,uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Brian Mc wrote:
In uk.telecom.broadband PeterD wrote:

: What does a router have to do with this problem. That's an ethernet
: device, and knows zip, zero, nothing, nada about DSL.

I had presumed this meant that most routers will give an analysis of the DSL
line (S/N levels, sync speeds etc.) on their control interface.

Well it depends if you mean by router a 'generic device for machining
wood' a ' device that purely routes computer network traffic' or ' A
device thet purely routes ethernet traffic or 'a device that not only
routes IP traffic but also does NAT, and contains a DSL modem as well'

I THINK the definition is a device that maintains a routing state table
of some sort, that connects networks at a layer *above* the transport
address level. This clearly marking where an ethernet switch ends: That
being a device that routes Ethernet packets irrespoective of what
protocol is layered above.

Strictly a 'broadband router' is hardly a router at all. Its a DSL modem
with ATM support and almost (but not quite) a bridge between the CPE and
the ISP termination equipment.

Old July 1st 09, 08:57 PM posted to sci.electronics.equipment,uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

reader443.eternal-september.org wrote:

Oh and we pronounce it "rooter" and not "rawter".

ROWTER shirley?

I certainly carry such a device for diagnostic purposes.

Drilling holes and trepanning into peoples' mind sets perhaps? ;-)