VPN support in an ADSL router?

Old July 1st 09, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
hari baskar

Default VPN support in an ADSL router?

A friend has a few PCs at home (ADSL, dynamic IP) and a
number of others at his shop (ADSL, fixed IP) and wants
to be able to link the two (mostly for file sharing for
images and data on his shop website). He's wanting the
home (office) PC to fit into the shop network, and will
want to access a number of different machines.

Anyone know if any routers can act as the VPN host such
that he doesn't need any particular PC at the shop kept
on to allow access from home, please? I've seen plenty
which support VPN (but I assume these merely allow user
to stablish VPN connections out to other services which
is obviously needed from his home, but it's what to use
at the shop that's in question. He has wireless in use
though if there's a specific router which doesn't offer
it, but can serve as a VPN host then he would switch to
data-over-main for access on the upper floor of shop.

Yes, I know that there's OpenVPN (though not sure it is
ideal - he'd like to be able to switch PCs off, but NAS
box left on in shop, and access that from home, so that
would not be suitable for running OpenVPN).

Any other options welcome, please! Thanks in advance.

Reply Reply to author Forward Rate this post: Text for
clearing space

posting.
You do not have the permission required to post.

Kalyana
More options Jun 19, 2:44 pm
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
From: Kalyana
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:44:50 +0100
Subject: VPN support in an ADSL router?
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
original | Report this message | Find messages by this author

Old July 1st 09, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"hari baskar" wrote in message
[...]

Was it you that asked this last week?

Vigor routers will implement a LAN-LAN VPN, thus any machine one one network
can see any machine on the other. No modification is required to any PC
unless you want Windows sophistications (!) such as name resolution to work
over the VPN.

There are other more expensive routers - Cisco, for example. But nothing
cheaper than a Vigor will implement what you want. Look up the V2820 ...

It's a great advantage for both sites to have static IP addresses, but
having just the shop site static is tolerable.

--
Graham J

Old July 1st 09, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Graham J wrote:

"hari baskar" wrote in message
A friend has a few PCs at home (ADSL, dynamic IP) and a
number of others at his shop (ADSL, fixed IP) and wants
to be able to link the two

Yes, I know that there's OpenVPN (though not sure it is
ideal - he'd like to be able to switch PCs off, but NAS
box left on in shop, and access that from home, so that
would not be suitable for running OpenVPN).

If the PCs are off he might as well take the NAS box home! But seriously, if
he's lucky he'll be able to terminate OpenVPN on the NAS box itself, eg
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowT...pOpenVPNServer

There are other more expensive routers - Cisco, for example. But nothing
cheaper than a Vigor will implement what you want. Look up the V2820 ...

Others to consider include Billion 7402x [has 3G support as a bonus] and
Zyxel P661. A wildcard is the Zoom 4401AF [aka AP+4]: no DSL interface, but
it's only 30 and has a hardware crypto chip so VPN performance should be
reasonable.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:26:30 up 56 days, 3:31, 2 users, load average: 0.12, 0.21, 0.18