2700HGV software downgrade

Old July 1st 09, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default 2700HGV software downgrade

Does anyone know of a successful means of downgrading the firmware from
version 6? My searches suggest that this is not possible but I live in hope!

Peter Crosland

Old July 5th 09, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
o.uk...
Does anyone know of a successful means of downgrading the firmware from
version 6? My searches suggest that this is not possible but I live in
hope!

Peter Crosland

It isn't possible at the moment. Anyone running a version 5 should have
put the appropriate blocks in place to stop it being upgraded without
permission. Anyone buying a v6 is mad which is why there are loads
on ebay. The v5 BT firmware is far better than the SingTel. If you have a
fast connection you soon notice how crap the 2700HGV is. Max sync
speed on a BTv5 is 18Mbps. Max on a Singtel (ex-v5 dual SSID) is
16Mbps. This is why for a fast connection they are of little use. SingTel
firmware also lowers the data throughput so downloads are slower than
with BTv5 firmware or even v6.

The 2700HGV is an overrated piece of junk! It doesn't even support
UPNP - not even with v6. Max power unless you have a very early/old
single SSID one is 63mWatt. That can not be changed by doing the
reported fix with Opera and various scripts. It reports a high value in the
log but not in current to the PA or RF output.

If you have a 2700HGV stick it in the bin. QoS doesn't even work.

Old July 6th 09, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

Clive wrote:

If you have a 2700HGV stick it in the bin. QoS doesn't even work.

Follow the above at your own risk. You know *who* posted it.

--
Adrian C
Old July 6th 09, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

If you have a 2700HGV stick it in the bin. QoS doesn't even work.

Follow the above at your own risk. You know *who* posted it.

I suspect a well known idiot! I have wide experience of the 2700HGV and have
found them excellent. Having acquired one with version 6 firmware I was just
interested in the possibility of downgrading it if it proved desirable. It
is working fine as far as I am concerned but I have not tested every feature
on it.

Peter Crosland

Old July 6th 09, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
IanB

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 10:59:36 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

I suspect a well known idiot! I have wide experience of the 2700HGV and have
found them excellent.

Got to agree with that, best router I've ever owned.

Having acquired one with version 6 firmware I was just
interested in the possibility of downgrading it if it proved desirable.

Both my 2700s have now been upgraded to the version of version 6 (!)
that is being supplied since the updates restarted on 23rd of June.

I don't know if it just the current climatic conditions (the
performance of my overhead line responds to weather changes) but the
router _seems_ to be performing better than it did with the version 5
firmware. The overnight uncorrected error count (which I log
externally every 5 minutes) seems to have reduced a bit.

Ian
--
The From address is valid
Old July 6th 09, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I suspect a well known idiot! I have wide experience of the 2700HGV and
have
found them excellent.

Got to agree with that, best router I've ever owned.

Having acquired one with version 6 firmware I was just
interested in the possibility of downgrading it if it proved desirable.

Both my 2700s have now been upgraded to the version of version 6 (!)
that is being supplied since the updates restarted on 23rd of June.

I don't know if it just the current climatic conditions (the
performance of my overhead line responds to weather changes) but the
router _seems_ to be performing better than it did with the version 5
firmware. The overnight uncorrected error count (which I log
externally every 5 minutes) seems to have reduced a bit.

Thanks for that Ian. Certainly climatic conditions can have a big effect on
medium wave propagation which is one of the major sources of interference on
ADSL lines. I think I shall leave mine as it is rather than risk turning it
into an expensive brick.

Peter Crosland

Old July 7th 09, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 12:13:05 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

[...]

Does the v6 software work with other ISPs?

--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]