(OT?) ZTE MF627 USB Modem (3) on Ubuntu

Old July 5th 09, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Loki

Default (OT?) ZTE MF627 USB Modem (3) on Ubuntu

Has anyone got the ZTE MF627 USB Modem to work on Ubuntu?

I want to dump Visast and use Linux instead..
Old July 5th 09, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Loki wrote:
Has anyone got the ZTE MF627 USB Modem to work on Ubuntu?

I want to dump Visast and use Linux instead..

That modem does appear to have kernel support

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1017630&page=2

I did also get an earlier modem to work on my setup here.

Though with VERY variable throughput - it often dropped out of 3G and
back to 'sorry, voice only' type signals.

I also had some issues with 3 networks DNS, solved by using BIND on the
machine itself, and telling it to use its own DNS server when online via
that interface.

Plus some permissions issues solved by adding myself to the dialup group
and modding some ppp file permissions.

Be prepared for a bit of a grind, but ultimate success should be yours.

Old July 5th 09, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Loki schreef:
Has anyone got the ZTE MF627 USB Modem to work on Ubuntu?

I want to dump Visast and use Linux instead..

If this modem will not work for you,
You might considder the Sitecom DC-227 modem,
it's not a USB modem, but a normal modem only,
up to ADSL2+ with a very good connection wizard,
via web gui, for only 40 euro.
and does "train" your connection speed very good.
you only need a switch for more devices.
Use this one myself, and is much better than the (Zyxel) one,
i got from my (Telfort) provider.

--
Bedankt, Thanks,

The Fug.