2700HGV change ADSL modulation

Old July 6th 09, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

Default 2700HGV change ADSL modulation

Is it possible to switch between ADSL1 and ADSL2+ with the 2700HGV? I have
a loooong line (74dB attentuation) which I think may work faster using
ADSL1. At the moment its syncing on ADSL2+ with BE and I'd rather not raise
a ticket to get them to change the modulation if I can do it on the router.
I can't find an option though. Anyone have any ideas?

--

WildCardZero

Old July 6th 09, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"WCZ" wrote in message
Is it possible to switch between ADSL1 and ADSL2+ with the 2700HGV? I
have a loooong line (74dB attentuation) which I think may work faster
using ADSL1. At the moment its syncing on ADSL2+ with BE and I'd rather
not raise a ticket to get them to change the modulation if I can do it on
the router. I can't find an option though. Anyone have any ideas?

You can ask on the Be Forums, Other Router section, good people there to
answer, should you not get response here.

--
Regards,
David

FREESAT HD as it is now it is a joke.

Old July 6th 09, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Is it possible to switch between ADSL1 and ADSL2+ with the 2700HGV? I
have a loooong line (74dB attentuation) which I think may work faster
using ADSL1. At the moment its syncing on ADSL2+ with BE and I'd rather
not raise a ticket to get them to change the modulation if I can do it on
the router. I can't find an option though. Anyone have any ideas?

AFAIK the modulation method is set by the DSLAM and the 2700 will sync
accordingly. In any case at the line length you have there is unlikely to be
much difference in sync speed between ADSL and ADSL2+ with ADSL2+ having the
edge. This page will give you a guide as to the theoretical values
http://www2.farina1.com/adsl/.

Peter Crosland

Old July 6th 09, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

On 6-Jul-2009, "Peter Crosland" wrote:

AFAIK the modulation method is set by the DSLAM and the 2700 will sync
accordingly.

With long lines there can be instability with trying to negotiate
a standard that is insupportable for that line.
If you attach an ADSL1 modem, then that is all it can negotiate,
the DSLAM has no other option than fallback to the lower
standard.
If your line is running stable then your 2700 will probably be getting
the best out of it.
With high attenuation and weak signal it is important to
put the 2700 alongside the master socket.
Most household wiring has lots of noise which can be
picked up by extension leads. Stuff with commutator
motors, switch mode PSU's, microwaves cycling oin/off
on reduced power. A washing machine or vacuum cleaner
can knock your speed down for an extended period.