Switching between ADSL1 and ADSL2+

Old July 6th 09, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

Default Switching between ADSL1 and ADSL2+

"Richard Tobin" wrote in message
A friend had had his Demon ADSL connection upgraded to ADSL2+, and to
take advantage of this he has bought a new router. This works, but
due to some configuration problems he wanted to switch back to his old
(non-ADSL2+) modem, only to find it no longer works - it apparently
doesn't sync with the exchange.

Is there any reason why this should happen? Does using ADSL2+ cause
something to get switched so that ADSL1 no longer works?

Yes, as I understand it the equipment at the exchange usually only supports
one standard.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Old July 6th 09, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

A friend had had his Demon ADSL connection upgraded to ADSL2+, and to
take advantage of this he has bought a new router. This works, but
due to some configuration problems he wanted to switch back to his old
(non-ADSL2+) modem, only to find it no longer works - it apparently
doesn't sync with the exchange.

Is there any reason why this should happen? Does using ADSL2+ cause
something to get switched so that ADSL1 no longer works?

If the exchange has been set use ADSL2+ modulation then a non ADSL2+ modem
will not work. The correct solution is to find out what is wrong with the
configuration of the new modem.

Peter Crosland

Old July 6th 09, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:
"Richard Tobin" wrote in message
A friend had had his Demon ADSL connection upgraded to ADSL2+, and to
take advantage of this he has bought a new router. This works, but
due to some configuration problems he wanted to switch back to his old
(non-ADSL2+) modem, only to find it no longer works - it apparently
doesn't sync with the exchange.

Is there any reason why this should happen? Does using ADSL2+ cause
something to get switched so that ADSL1 no longer works?

Yes, as I understand it the equipment at the exchange usually only supports
one standard.

My ISP's (NewNet LLU) seems to support both. If I connect an old ADSL1 router
it works, albeit at a slower d/s rate (as you'd expect).

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old July 6th 09, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Peter Crosland wrote:

If the exchange has been set use ADSL2+ modulation then a non ADSL2+ modem
will not work.

So when does this happen? He was informed by Demon that his
connection had been upgraded, and his old modem continued to work. He
then bought a new modem and plugged it in, and that worked (modulo
configuration problems). A few minutes later he plugged the old one
back in, and it didn't work. Did plugging in the new modem cause
the modulation to get irreversibly switched?

The correct solution is to find out what is wrong with the
configuration of the new modem.

Of course. But it is inconvenient to have your network down while
the problem is resolved.

-- Richard
Old July 6th 09, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

If the exchange has been set use ADSL2+ modulation then a non ADSL2+ modem
will not work.

So when does this happen? He was informed by Demon that his
connection had been upgraded, and his old modem continued to work. He
then bought a new modem and plugged it in, and that worked (modulo
configuration problems). A few minutes later he plugged the old one
back in, and it didn't work. Did plugging in the new modem cause
the modulation to get irreversibly switched?

The correct solution is to find out what is wrong with the
configuration of the new modem.

Of course. But it is inconvenient to have your network down while
the problem is resolved.

It may just be coincidence but the relevant question is to find out why the
configuration of the new modem does not work. That really should be quite
easy. Most modern modems have an automated set up routine that only requires
the ID and password details to be input. Have the ISP been asked for help?

Peter Crosland

Old July 6th 09, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I would have thought that the ISP should help.
When I upgraded to a new router (which is capable of handling ADSL2+ as
well, but I can't yet get ADSL2+) I contacted my ISP - Plusnet - who
directed me to a page on their website devoted to that particular router. By
following the configurations, I was up and running very quickly.
Whether or not the OP's ISP is as clued-up as Plusnet, however, is another
matter....

George

Old July 6th 09, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Peter Crosland wrote:

It may just be coincidence but the relevant question is to find out why the
configuration of the new modem does not work.

It's nothing like that. It's just a question of how to configure it
for "half-bridged" mode, which is how his old system was set up. I'm
not trying to solve that problem here, just find out why switching
back to the old modem didn't work.

Two people in this thread have said that a line configured for ADSL2+
won't work with non-ADSL2+ modems. On the other hand, there have been
articles in other threads referring to this being something negotiated
between the modem and the exchange when the modem is connected. Can
soeone give a definitive answer to that?

-- Richard
Old July 6th 09, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

On 6-Jul-2009, "George Weston" wrote:

A few minutes later he plugged the old one
back in, and it didn't work. Did plugging in the new modem cause
the modulation to get irreversibly switched?

Normally negotiation involves determining what the users modem
supports. For backward compatibility with earlier ADSL modems.
With LLU the ISP is free to use whatever kit, and DSLAM they
like that meets ITU standards, and manage it as they like.
In which case plugging in the new modem may have set the
service to only negotiate the higher standard.
Old July 6th 09, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

It may just be coincidence but the relevant question is to find out why
the
configuration of the new modem does not work.

It's nothing like that. It's just a question of how to configure it
for "half-bridged" mode, which is how his old system was set up. I'm
not trying to solve that problem here, just find out why switching
back to the old modem didn't work.

Two people in this thread have said that a line configured for ADSL2+
won't work with non-ADSL2+ modems. On the other hand, there have been
articles in other threads referring to this being something negotiated
between the modem and the exchange when the modem is connected. Can
soeone give a definitive answer to that?

Probably not! It depends on how the DSLAM is set and the router and DSLAM
negotiation works. Pursuing the ins and out of that is a fruitless exercise
that will not help you solve the problem. Changing how the DSLAM works is
not an option in this case so you really should concentrate on what can be
done rather than theorising.

Peter Crosland