VOIP & SIP on Nokia N series.

Old July 10th 09, 02:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton

Default VOIP & SIP on Nokia N series.

I have recently purchased an N79 and want to use it with my existing [UK]
Voipfone account.

I have entered all the SIP details and the phone registers with Voipfone,
however it seems that the menu options to make internet calls will only
appear if I create a new account with one of two US based Voip providers
with $ accounts (Gismo5 and Vyke) and download settings or something.

Nokia have not been very helpful at all and Voipfone say it works with the E
series without any download, however E series manuals for show a different
configuration method, so now I am stuck.

Anyone know how or got this to work on N series?

--

R. Mark Clayton

remove nospa for email

Old July 10th 09, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 02:07:06 +0100, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

I have recently purchased an N79 and want to use it with my existing
[UK] Voipfone account.

I have entered all the SIP details and the phone registers with
Voipfone, however it seems that the menu options to make internet calls
will only appear if I create a new account with one of two US based Voip
providers with $ accounts (Gismo5 and Vyke) and download settings or
something.

Nokia have not been very helpful at all and Voipfone say it works with
the E series without any download, however E series manuals for show a
different configuration method, so now I am stuck.

Anyone know how or got this to work on N series?

Yes. I have used the inbuilt Nokia SIP app. to use a Voxalot account. I
have also used Fring, you night try that. I have used both WiFi and '3'
to make calls in this way. However, when working on '3' I didn't think it
good enough to have a long conversation. Via WiFi it is just fine.
Settings on N95 8GB: SettingsConnectionSIP Settings
Profile Name: Voxalot (or any other name you dream up)
Service Profile:IETF
Default Access Point: Name of your WiFi or operator
Public User Name:
(where 123456 is an example of a Voxalot number or username)

Use Compession:No
Registration: 'When needed' (if you only want to make outgoing calls) or
'Always on' (to receive calls too - should then show up as 'Registered'
under 'SettingsConnectionSIP Settings')

Proxy Server (Registrar server is set similarly):-
Proxy Server Address: sip:eu.voxalot.com
Realm:voxalot.com
username:123456 (example as before)
Allow loose routing:Yes
Transport type:Auto
Port:5060

Hope this helps!!

Old July 12th 09, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton

"Brian A" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Yes got through all this and got it to come up "registered" (so incoming
calls don't go to my DECT [SIP] phone :-(( ), but what did you do next - the
manual says the option of internet phone calls appears, but it doesn't.
This was a "blank" phone from a Nokia shop.

PS I am not expecting to use it on net only on Wi-Fi.

Old July 12th 09, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Yes got through all this and got it to come up "registered" (so incoming
calls don't go to my DECT [SIP] phone :-(( ), but what did you do next -
the manual says the option of internet phone calls appears, but it
doesn't. This was a "blank" phone from a Nokia shop.

PS I am not expecting to use it on net only on Wi-Fi.

Apparently Nokia have "improved" SIP support on their newer handsets, which
entails no longer shipping a SIP client.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2008/...death-of-voip-
has-been-grossly-exaggerated/

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
17:30:16 up 67 days, 3:52, 2 users, load average: 0.29, 0.28, 0.39

Old July 13th 09, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 15:10:31 +0100, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

"Brian A" wrote in message
om...
[...]

OK. Also do:-
SettingsConnectionInternet Tel
optionsedit
Nameefault
Sip Profile: Voxalot 123456 (Just the title I gave my connection in SIP
Settings)

When you want to call a number try entering the number, then click
options and select 'Internet Call'.
Alternatively select a number to call from your contacts and, again, via
'options' select Internet Call. That's how it works on my N95 8GB.

If, due to Nokia's 'improvements' (NOT!) of the SIP capability of some
phones, it doesn't work satisfactorily for you, then try Fring. That does
work but I found that, once imported, it was difficult to get it to
update for new contact entries. Fring does work though.