Mobile phone and broadband package

Old July 13th 09, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
LP

Default Mobile phone and broadband package

Does anyone have a good mobile phone and mobile
broadband package with one provider, to the point
you have managed to do without a BT landline?

I have to subscribe to Sky to get a television
signal (live in a 'dip' behind the transmitter) so
have their digital tv and broadband package with a
BT landline

I have a voip account with voip.co.uk

I'm not really bothered about tv, so was thinking
about getting shot of Sky (26/month), TV licence
(12/month) and BT landline (13/month) and going
over to mobile broadband and phone. I already
have a 3 mobile phone contract (18/month).

Anyone already done it?
Old July 13th 09, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"LP" wrote in message
Does anyone have a good mobile phone and mobile broadband package with one
provider, to the point you have managed to do without a BT landline?

After recently moving, i'm making do with Three mobile
phone, (Nokia 6120c) and using the same phone for
HSDPA BB. (sending this with it) getting 1 to 2Mbps d/l.

and freeview TV

Steve Terry

Old July 13th 09, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

In uk.telecom.broadband LP wrote:
I have to subscribe to Sky to get a television
signal (live in a 'dip' behind the transmitter) so
have their digital tv and broadband package with a
BT landline

If you can't get decent TV, are you sure you can get decent 3G?

I'd test out the signal strength you can get before jumping ship - you don't
want to cancel all those contracts and discover you're at sub-modem speeds
or worse. What kind of signal do Three give you on your existing phone?
Have you tried browsing on it, or cable/Bluetooth pairing with a laptop to
see how the speeds compare?

Theo
Old July 13th 09, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

I can't help with your main query, but I have done a web-page about
aligning TV Aerials. The live version can't yet find the nearest best
transmitter for you (though the version on my PC is getting somewhere
near that), but, if you go Ofcom's site and look up the likeliest
transmitters ...

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/ifi/tech/transmaps/

.... or check with the official postcode checker ...

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/

.... my site will tell you if you have line of sight to them ...

http://www.macfh.co.uk/Test/UKTerrestrialTVTest.html

Note that the Postcode checker and my site work in different ways, and
may not always agree. For my house, my site gives a better result
than the checker, but for yours, it may be the other way round!

The postcode checker is for digital transmissions only and is
predictive using incomplete information - it has a limited
resolution of terrain, and limited knowledge of ground cover
('clutter'), and, although it asks you for your house number, I've not
noticed that entering it actually make any difference to the result,
which, where I live, it should. However, unlike my site, it does have
some clutter knowledge, and knows about other more distant
transmitters whose signals may interfere with local ones.

My site has the advantage that you can actually plonk the marker on
your own house, rather than the general area of a postcode, and thus
be sure that the information given is as accurate as reasonably
possible to your location. It will show you in exactly which
direction to point your aerial using a Google map, the signal path
using an OS map, and the signal profile using a terrain database based
on radar information from a Shuttle mission, which has a 90m
resolution.

HTHs

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:22:00 +0100, LP wrote:

I have to subscribe to Sky to get a television
signal (live in a 'dip' behind the transmitter) so
have their digital tv and broadband package with a
BT landline

======================================

Please always reply to news group as the email address in
this post's header does not exist. Alternatively, use one of the
contact addresses at:
Old July 13th 09, 11:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
LP

Theo Markettos wrote:
In uk.telecom.broadband LP wrote:
I have to subscribe to Sky to get a television
signal (live in a 'dip' behind the transmitter) so
have their digital tv and broadband package with a
BT landline

If you can't get decent TV, are you sure you can get decent 3G?

I'd test out the signal strength you can get before jumping ship - you don't
want to cancel all those contracts and discover you're at sub-modem speeds
or worse. What kind of signal do Three give you on your existing phone?
Have you tried browsing on it, or cable/Bluetooth pairing with a laptop to
see how the speeds compare?

Thanks for the pointer. I've got a pretty good
signal strength on my 3 mobile phone and using a 3
dongle, achieve broadband download speed of more
than 2500 kpbs according to broadbandmax speed test.

Regarding the TV, we were switched over to digital
earlier this month and I must confess I haven't
checked if the signals got any better or even
reached us.

With near maximum 3 mobile broadband speed and
first class 3 mobile phone coverage, I've pretty
much now decided to drop TV, Sky and BT anyway.

(BTW, had a minor technical issue on installation
and 3's support was first class.)

Old July 14th 09, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:22:00 +0100, LP wrote:

Does anyone have a good mobile phone and mobile
broadband package with one provider, to the point
you have managed to do without a BT landline?

I have to subscribe to Sky to get a television
signal (live in a 'dip' behind the transmitter) so
have their digital tv and broadband package with a
BT landline

I have a voip account with voip.co.uk

I'm not really bothered about tv, so was thinking
about getting shot of Sky (26/month), TV licence
(12/month) and BT landline (13/month) and going
over to mobile broadband and phone. I already
have a 3 mobile phone contract (18/month).

Anyone already done it?

I'd like to know how well SIP-based VoIP over Three's BB works, if
that's what you intend...
Old July 14th 09, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

In uk.telecom.broadband Mark wrote:
I'd like to know how well SIP-based VoIP over Three's BB works, if
that's what you intend...

I haven't tried it directly, but my experience of Three BB puts it into the
"haven't a hope" category... the data flow isn't smooth enough to make it a
sensible idea.

But the OP has a Three mobile, so I assume he'll be using GSM for voice
calls rather than over VOIP.

Theo
Old July 14th 09, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Mark" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:22:00 +0100, LP wrote:
snip
I'd like to know how well SIP-based VoIP over Three's BB works,
if that's what you intend...

I've used Skype with webcam over Three BB, no problem as long
as i'm on a 3.5g cell

Steve Terry

Old July 15th 09, 09:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Petert

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:22:00 +0100, LP wrote:

Does anyone have a good mobile phone and mobile
broadband package with one provider, to the point
you have managed to do without a BT landline?

I have to subscribe to Sky to get a television
signal (live in a 'dip' behind the transmitter) so
have their digital tv and broadband package with a
BT landline

I have a voip account with voip.co.uk

I'm not really bothered about tv, so was thinking
about getting shot of Sky (26/month), TV licence
(12/month) and BT landline (13/month) and going
over to mobile broadband and phone. I already
have a 3 mobile phone contract (18/month).

Anyone already done it?

Other than being unsatisfied with the content, I fail to understand
why you wish to cease watching TV. You can watch satellite TV without
paying any subscription whatsoever, the only cost being the TV licence
--
Cheers

Peter
Old July 15th 09, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

And if you watch TV via the iPlayer, IMS you still need a licence, so
you might as well have a proper setup. If he can't get decent
Freeview, Freesat may well be the best option. There's a doc on my
site that outlines the options for receiving UK TV, if the OP is
interested.
http://tinyurl.com/5svtuk
... standing in for ...
http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/Audi...TVInTheUK.html