Wireless AP and switch

Old July 13th 09, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville

Default Wireless AP and switch

Does such an animal as a wifi ap combined with an ethernet switch
exist? Or am I going to have to either get a cable router and disable
the router or buy a switch *and* an AP?

TIA
--
Regards
Dave Saville

Old July 13th 09, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article [email protected],
Dave Saville wrote:
Does such an animal as a wifi ap combined with an ethernet switch
exist? Or am I going to have to either get a cable router and disable
the router or buy a switch *and* an AP?

Google knows, but it's probably cheaper to get an ADSL Wi-Fi router with
a built-in 4-port switch and disable the ADSL + DHCP bit...

Gordon
Old July 13th 09, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Ingle

Dave Saville wrote:

Does such an animal as a wifi ap combined with an ethernet switch
exist? Or am I going to have to either get a cable router and disable
the router or buy a switch *and* an AP?

If you only need a couple of ethernet ports, quite a number of routers
have a setting which will just turn them into an access point (as you
mentioned above); I have not seen any APs with multiple ports, perhaps
because a router usually isn't any more expensive.

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/...ls.asp?EdpNo=2
87763&CatId=3060

Old July 13th 09, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Saville wrote:
Does such an animal as a wifi ap combined with an ethernet switch
exist? Or am I going to have to either get a cable router and disable
the router or buy a switch *and* an AP?

Yes. In laws have a belkin heap o' crap going spare.

TIA

Old July 14th 09, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:37:47 UTC, Gordon Henderson
wrote:

In article [email protected],
Dave Saville wrote:
Does such an animal as a wifi ap combined with an ethernet switch
exist? Or am I going to have to either get a cable router and disable
the router or buy a switch *and* an AP?

Google knows, but it's probably cheaper to get an ADSL Wi-Fi router with
a built-in 4-port switch and disable the ADSL + DHCP bit...

Gordon

I was coming around to that way of thinking :-)

Thanks all.

--
Regards
Dave Saville

Old July 14th 09, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Dave Saville wrote:
Does such an animal as a wifi ap combined with an ethernet switch exist?
Or am I going to have to either get a cable router and disable the router
or buy a switch *and* an AP?

Yes. In laws have a belkin heap o' crap going spare.

Or Edimax EW-7209 see:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Edima...h-WDS-(Realtek)

--
Graham J