PS2 Keyboard Strokes Can Be Monitored Via The Power Line

Old July 14th 09, 04:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default PS2 Keyboard Strokes Can Be Monitored Via The Power Line

Doesn't say whether that includes laptops connected to the mains with
a PS2 keyboard attached, and nothing about USB:

======================================

Please always reply to news group as the email address in
this post's header does not exist. Alternatively, use one of the
contact addresses at:
Old July 14th 09, 07:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R Johnson

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 04:36:40 +0100, Java Jive wrote:

Doesn't say whether that includes laptops connected to the mains with a
PS2 keyboard attached, and nothing about USB:

======================================

Please always reply to news group as the email address in this post's
header does not exist. Alternatively, use one of the contact addresses
at:

Brilliant. Like you would be in a hotel room with a PS2 keyboard and
desktop. I think you may well be using a laptop probably not plugged in
to a mains supply. I mean, there would be the running costs to consider...

Now, in an office environment with dozens to hundreds of machines
running, just how would you separate out which keyboard on which machine
typed each letter.

Somebody has spent too much time watching 'spooks'....
Old July 14th 09, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

R Johnson wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 04:36:40 +0100, Java Jive wrote:

Doesn't say whether that includes laptops connected to the mains with a
PS2 keyboard attached, and nothing about USB:

======================================

Please always reply to news group as the email address in this post's
header does not exist. Alternatively, use one of the contact addresses
at:

Brilliant. Like you would be in a hotel room with a PS2 keyboard and
desktop. I think you may well be using a laptop probably not plugged in
to a mains supply. I mean, there would be the running costs to consider...

Now, in an office environment with dozens to hundreds of machines
running, just how would you separate out which keyboard on which machine
typed each letter.

Somebody has spent too much time watching 'spooks'....

Well old serial terminals could be 'scanned' by detecting the video
patterns on the CRT or indeed the serial cables. It takes a lot of fancy
DSP, but you can in principle synch to one with the exact baudrate that
that terminal is on.

However the technology is complex and expensive. The same here I'd say.
Maybe MI5 has it, but no one else.

Easier to poke a camera through the wall and watch people tying.. or the
screen.

Old July 14th 09, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R Johnson

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:17:49 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

R Johnson wrote:
[...]

How does this pan out today with non-crt displays?
Old July 14th 09, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

R Johnson wrote:
[...]

Doesnt really. Hence cracking the keycodes ..via the USB or serial type
cabling..

Old July 14th 09, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R Johnson

R Johnson wrote:
[...]

Not just easier to man in the middle the wireless/wired hub with tcpdump
or airsnort or infect the target machine? Seems like a lot of work to go
to for technology that we already have in the mass market.
Old July 14th 09, 02:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

R Johnson wrote:
[...]

Exactly.

Steal the laptop is easier.

99.99% of security holes are 'if someone were really smart, as smart as
I am to discover this hole, and a bit smarter yet to write some code
that exploits it, and pretty lucky if the actual machine it was on was
set up JUST the way expected..then conceivably they COULD use it to do
something I wouldn't want'.

Whereas in reality, the 0.01% of holes that are in fact so big you could
thread a camel through them, are left there anyway because to remove
them would impact 'functionality' amd Microsofts own spyware.

Old July 14th 09, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

R Johnson wrote:

How does this pan out today with non-crt displays?

Still possible -

http://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2...at-cebit-2006/