Which network for mobile broadband?

Old July 14th 09, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Pete Zahut

Default Which network for mobile broadband?

OK, so I'm sure that this has probably been asked before so I humbly
apologise. I freely admit that I'm a complete numpty regarding such things
and I need it spelled out for me.

So, I went to http://www.3dongle4free.co.uk/ and got a 3g USB dongle modem
for free (well, for the cost of p&p at 4.95) that was locked to the 3
network. I found instructions on how to unlock it and successfuly managed to
do that. The problem now is deciding which network/SIM to stick in it 'cos
there seems to be such a bewildering array of things to choose from.

I _don't_ want to be locked into any contracts because I won't use it very
often so I think PAYG is the way to go - unless someone knows better, that
is ) I'll just be needing it for maybe 4 or 5 days per month when I'm in
a hotel and don't want to pay 5 quid per hour or 9.99/24hrs for internet
access.

I doubt that I'll need any more than about 1GB/month. I won't be looking at
YouTube or BBC Iplayer or anything like that. It'll probably be just emails,
bit of general websurfing, USENET newsgroups and maybe, if any family
members or friends need any computer-related help while I'm away, I may need
to remotely access their machines.

So, any ideas which network/SIM I should be using?

Cheers folks, and thanks

Pete

Old July 14th 09, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
David

"Pete Zahut" [email protected] wrote in message
news
I'll just be needing it for maybe 4 or 5 days per month when I'm in
a hotel and don't want to pay 5 quid per hour or 9.99/24hrs for internet
access.

Can you book a hotel that does not charge for internet conection?
I pop round to nearest McDonalds it is free there.
Not always go in and buy. EG the ones on Motorway service areas I was
using Burger King and using the McD internet connection.

--
Regards,
David

FREESAT HD as it is now it is a joke.

Old July 14th 09, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Brian Mc

In uk.telecom.broadband Pete Zahut [email protected] wrote:
: network. I found instructions on how to unlock it and successfuly managed
: to do that. The problem now is deciding which network/SIM to stick in it
: 'cos : there seems to be such a bewildering array of things to choose from.

I am in much the same situation and the (useful!) choice turns out to be
rather limited!

Vodafone are 15/Mb (same as 3) but without the 30 day time limit. However
they won't sell a SIM for this tariff without their own Dongle - so that's
them excluded.

Don't know about Orange - noone has mentioned a good PAYG 3G SIM offering
from them.

For my purposes O2 seemed the best additional SIM for the 3 dongle. O2
sell 500M 3G access *PLUS* unlimited "The Cloud" and "BT OpenZone WiFi" at
hotspots for only 2/day - very useful!
Old July 14th 09, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Pete Zahut

David wrote:
"Pete Zahut" [email protected] wrote in message
news
I'll just be needing it for maybe 4 or 5 days per month when I'm in
a hotel and don't want to pay 5 quid per hour or 9.99/24hrs for
internet access.

Can you book a hotel that does not charge for internet conection?

Sometimes, yes, but not always. For instance, the Holiday Inn chain gives
free internet (or at least it does at its Smallbrook Queensway hotel in
Birmingham) but the Ramada Jarvis chain charges the above prices at their
Manchester Piccadilly hotel.

Plus, of course, I've now already got the dongle )

I pop round to nearest McDonalds it is free there.
Not always go in and buy. EG the ones on Motorway service areas I
was using Burger King and using the McD internet connection.

Even less of an option - plus, of course, I've now already got the dongle
)

Old July 14th 09, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Pete Zahut

Brian Mc wrote:
In uk.telecom.broadband Pete Zahut [email protected] wrote:
network. I found instructions on how to unlock it and successfuly
managed to do that. The problem now is deciding which network/SIM to
stick in it 'cos : there seems to be such a bewildering array of
things to choose from.

I am in much the same situation and the (useful!) choice turns out to
be rather limited!

Vodafone are 15/Mb (same as 3) but without the 30 day time limit.
However they won't sell a SIM for this tariff without their own
Dongle - so that's them excluded.

Don't know about Orange - noone has mentioned a good PAYG 3G SIM
offering from them.

For my purposes O2 seemed the best additional SIM for the 3 dongle. O2
sell 500M 3G access *PLUS* unlimited "The Cloud" and "BT OpenZone
WiFi" at hotspots for only 2/day - very useful!

Thanks for that Brian. It looks like the O2 offering then unless someone
else suggests something better.

Pete

Old July 14th 09, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
David

David wrote:
"Pete Zahut" [email protected] wrote in message
news
I'll just be needing it for maybe 4 or 5 days per month when I'm in
a hotel and don't want to pay 5 quid per hour or 9.99/24hrs for
internet access.

Can you book a hotel that does not charge for internet conection?

Sometimes, yes, but not always. For instance, the Holiday Inn chain gives
free internet (or at least it does at its Smallbrook Queensway hotel in
Birmingham) but the Ramada Jarvis chain charges the above prices at their
Manchester Piccadilly hotel.

Yes it is interesting how differently the various hotel groups handle the
internet.
Wonder it will stay like this, or all charge or all be free for the future.

Old July 14th 09, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
JL

On 14 July, 13:58, "Pete Zahut" [email protected] wrote:
Brian Mc wrote:
[...]

O2's 3G coverage is pretty poor compared to 3's or Orange's
generally. I'd take a look at 3 themselves - get a free SIM from
their website and add internet daily for 50p, internet weekly for
2.50 or internet monthly for 5. These bundles are meant to be used
for internet on your phone but for low usage they (hopefully) won't
complain.

Note that the 3 SIM that comes with dongles is different to those you
can get free on the 3 website. The dongle SIM only allows you to buy
their more expensive internet bundles designed for use with dongles.
It also doesn't allow 2G roaming onto Orange's network when out of 3
coverage.
Old July 14th 09, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Paulg0

"Pete Zahut" [email protected] wrote in message
news
Thanks for that Brian. It looks like the O2 offering then unless someone
else suggests something better.

T-Mobile is a good option. My old PAYG sim gives me about 400kb connection
speed for 1 per day, the speed is fine for browsing and mail. If you get a
T-Mobile 3g HSDPA sim that will give much higher speeds but the rate is
capped at 2 per day instead

Paul

Old July 14th 09, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Pete Zahut

Brian Mc wrote:
[...]

Now that's very interesting JL. I'll certainly give that a coat of looking
at - cheers mate.

Pete

Old July 14th 09, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Pete Zahut

Paulg0 wrote:
"Pete Zahut" [email protected] wrote in message
news
Thanks for that Brian. It looks like the O2 offering then unless
someone else suggests something better.

T-Mobile is a good option. My old PAYG sim gives me about 400kb
connection speed for 1 per day, the speed is fine for browsing and
mail. If you get a T-Mobile 3g HSDPA sim that will give much higher
speeds but the rate is capped at 2 per day instead

Thanks a lot Paul, that's something else to keep in mind. Cheers mate,

Pete