"Wires Only" ISP?

Old July 14th 09, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

Default "Wires Only" ISP?

I am moving, after 4.5 gruelling months I have exchanged contracts.

I have been with Demon for many years but want to take this opportunity to
consider other suppliers.

I have my own domains with web space and email addresses and I use NIN for
Usenet. All I need is a connection to the Internet - solid and reliable
and as fast as a piece of damp string will allow. The exchange (01425) is
ADSL Max but will be ADSL2 by the end of the year. Estimated speed from
the postcode is only 2Mbp/s unfortunately.

Are there any ISP's who provide a 'connection only' service? I must be
able to send emails using my various domain email addresses so no blocks
on the email port.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
Indecision is the key to flexibility
Old July 14th 09, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Jeff Gaines wrote:

I am moving, after 4.5 gruelling months I have exchanged contracts.

I have been with Demon for many years but want to take this opportunity
to consider other suppliers.

I have my own domains with web space and email addresses and I use NIN
for Usenet. All I need is a connection to the Internet - solid and
reliable and as fast as a piece of damp string will allow. The exchange
(01425) is ADSL Max but will be ADSL2 by the end of the year. Estimated
speed from the postcode is only 2Mbp/s unfortunately.

Are there any ISP's who provide a 'connection only' service? I must be
able to send emails using my various domain email addresses so no blocks
on the email port.

IDNET
Plain vanilla connectivity.

Its probably worth registering an email account tho, to be able to use
their SMTP relay.

you dont have to use it to receive mail ;-)
Old July 15th 09, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 14/07/2009 in message The Natural
Philosopher wrote:

IDNET
Plain vanilla connectivity.

Its probably worth registering an email account tho, to be able to use
their SMTP relay.

you dont have to use it to receive mail ;-)

Many thanks :-)

There don't seem to be many connection only options around.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
Old July 15th 09, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

Philosopher wrote:

IDNET
Plain vanilla connectivity.

Its probably worth registering an email account tho, to be able to use
their SMTP relay.

you dont have to use it to receive mail ;-)

Many thanks :-)

There don't seem to be many connection only options around.

There are 100's. You just don't need to use their added services such
as web, email, etc.

As for filtering outbound email - I know that BT retail, Orange (or
whatever they're called now), and AOL do it. I suspect the other "bulk
buy, sell cheap" ones doe it too, so maybe be prepared to pay a few a
month more for a decent one. However in all the cases of these I've had
experience of so-far, you can bypass their filtering by using the email
submission port 587 to your email server - which - arguably, you ought
to be using anyway.

So - All Entanet resellers (which I am, but there are dozens more), Zen,
Plusnet (even though they're really BT now), AAISP, IDNET as mentioned
above and I'm sure others will chip-in with their favourites, given time.

What I'd additionally look for is a monthly contract with no hardware
(as I presume you've got that) so expect to pay the 40 install fee -
unless you're willing to sign up to a 1-year (or more!) contract to have
the install fee waived (and optionally hardware supplied)

Gordon
Old July 15th 09, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Charles Lindsey

In "Jeff Gaines" writes:

Are there any ISP's who provide a 'connection only' service? I must be
able to send emails using my various domain email addresses so no blocks
on the email port.

I use Newnet (I believe I nominally have an email address bundled in, but
have never used it). My news comes from NIN, my email from Gradwell, and
my website is still at the University. i40 per annum for (IIRC) 3GB per
month, fixed IP.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9 Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5
Old July 15th 09, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maurice Batey

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 14:59:39 +0000, Jeff Gaines wrote:

Are there any ISP's who provide a 'connection only' service?

UKFSN (reseller for Entanet) wires-only deals.
(Been using them for 2 years)

--
/\/\aurice

Old July 16th 09, 01:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

Jeff Gaines wrote:

Are there any ISP's who provide a 'connection only' service? I must be
able to send emails using my various domain email addresses so no blocks
on the email port.

Be.

Access to the SMTP server and removal of the Port 25 block is possible
on requests for Unlimited accounts on Static IP.

--
Adrian C