PAYG Mobile Broadband O2 or T Mobile?

Old July 15th 09, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Nigel

Default PAYG Mobile Broadband O2 or T Mobile?

Greetings:

I seek the help and advice of the newsgroup (not sure if I should post this
to uk.telecom.broadband or uk.telecom.mobile as my query relates to mobile
broadband, so have posted to both!)

I'm looking to get a PAYG mobile broadband service for use on the occasional
week-ends away from home. Both O2 and T Mobile offer similarly priced PAYG
services (2/day 7/week 15/month).

Is one preferable to the other? I guess it will come down to reliability
and coverage - but as I'll be using this for away from home on impromptu
trips I can't really say which parts of the country I'll be using it most,
though its likely to be the Yorks/Lancs/Lakes area with the occasional foray
to London.

Any help much appreciated.

Nigel.

Old July 15th 09, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
ChrisW

I'm looking to get a PAYG mobile broadband service for use on the occasional
week-ends away from home. Both O2 and T Mobile offer similarly priced PAYG
services (2/day 7/week 15/month).

Is one preferable to the other? I guess it will come down to reliability
and coverage - but as I'll be using this for away from home on impromptu
trips I can't really say which parts of the country I'll be using it most,
though its likely to be the Yorks/Lancs/Lakes area with the occasional foray
to London.

Any help much appreciated.

Nigel.

I use the Vodafone service which initially cost 39 for the USB dongle
and first Gb which costs 15 a time. My reason being that like you, I
wasn't sure where or when I would need it. Provided you login at
least every 90 days the balance never expires. I have used it for the
last couple of months when touring in my motorhome. Usually I can
only get 2G (in Scotland) with the occasional 3G when I stop in
supermarket car parks in places like Glasgow. For using webmail to
check email and for the occasional weather forecast and
information/news check it has worked very well on my Sony laptop.
After 2 months my balance was still showing over 10.
Old July 15th 09, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
John Blessing

Nigel wrote:
Greetings:

I seek the help and advice of the newsgroup (not sure if I should
post this to uk.telecom.broadband or uk.telecom.mobile as my query
relates to mobile broadband, so have posted to both!)

I'm looking to get a PAYG mobile broadband service for use on the
occasional week-ends away from home. Both O2 and T Mobile offer
similarly priced PAYG services (2/day 7/week 15/month).

Is one preferable to the other? I guess it will come down to
reliability and coverage - but as I'll be using this for away from
home on impromptu trips I can't really say which parts of the country
I'll be using it most, though its likely to be the Yorks/Lancs/Lakes
area with the occasional foray to London.

Any help much appreciated.

Nigel.

Have you thought about Three? Their payg offers 150meg of internet free
everytime you top up, or you can get 30 days fair use unlimited for 10 (not
sure about their daily rates)

--
John Blessing

Old July 15th 09, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Steve Terry

"John Blessing" wrote in message
Nigel wrote:
[...]

Or Three Internet for 50p per day, 2.50 per week, 5 per month,
2gb d/l fair use.

Add them when the first 150mb is used up on 3pay

Steve Terry

Old July 16th 09, 12:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Nigel

Thanks for the suggestions so far - I'm now even more confused with
suggestions for Three and Vodafone being thrown into the hat!

It's unlikely that I'll be using the connection for more than a day or two a
month - similar to ChrisW I'll be using the laptop when away for week-ends
in the motorhome (the Camping Club seem to charge outrageous amounts to
connect to their wifi for a day!).

What steers me towards O2 and T Mobile is that the daily usage is generous
(subject to fair use) so I wound be having to 'watch the clock' so to speak.

I'm now even more confused.

Nigel.

Old July 16th 09, 08:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
R Johnson

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 23:44:07 +0100, Nigel wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions so far - I'm now even more confused with
suggestions for Three and Vodafone being thrown into the hat!

It's unlikely that I'll be using the connection for more than a day or
two a month - similar to ChrisW I'll be using the laptop when away for
week-ends in the motorhome (the Camping Club seem to charge outrageous
amounts to connect to their wifi for a day!).

What steers me towards O2 and T Mobile is that the daily usage is
generous (subject to fair use) so I wound be having to 'watch the clock'
so to speak.

I'm now even more confused.

Nigel.

This may be interesting if you want a 'cheap' 3 dongle;

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?
p=23301717#post23301717
Old July 16th 09, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Steve Terry

"Nigel" wrote in message

Thanks for the suggestions so far - I'm now even more confused with
suggestions for Three and Vodafone being thrown into the hat!

It's unlikely that I'll be using the connection for more than a day or two
a month - similar to ChrisW I'll be using the laptop when away for
week-ends in the motorhome (the Camping Club seem to charge outrageous
amounts to connect to their wifi for a day!).

What steers me towards O2 and T Mobile is that the daily usage is generous
(subject to fair use) so I wound be having to 'watch the clock' so to
speak.

I'm now even more confused.
Nigel.

Obviously go for 2 or 3 different network PAYG 3g sims, to improve your
chances of getting coverage.

I would go for in order of preference:
Three (3pay sim and tariff)
T Mobile
O2
Voda

Steve Terry

Old July 17th 09, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Grumps

"Nigel" wrote in message
Greetings:

I seek the help and advice of the newsgroup (not sure if I should post
this to uk.telecom.broadband or uk.telecom.mobile as my query relates to
mobile broadband, so have posted to both!)

I'm looking to get a PAYG mobile broadband service for use on the
occasional week-ends away from home. Both O2 and T Mobile offer similarly
priced PAYG services (2/day 7/week 15/month).

Is one preferable to the other? I guess it will come down to reliability
and coverage - but as I'll be using this for away from home on impromptu
trips I can't really say which parts of the country I'll be using it most,
though its likely to be the Yorks/Lancs/Lakes area with the occasional
foray to London.

Any help much appreciated.

Hello
No, I'm not hijacking this thread, but I'm now looking for a SIM only PAYG
mobile broadband with no expiry after 30 days (too much to ask?).
I've been to the web sites of 3, O2, T-mobile and Vodaphone. To be honest, I
can't find didly that fits my requirements.
But I am now getting confused! The 3 site says
http://threestore.three.co.uk/payg/i...adband_mpu.gif
So, 1GB (that is bytes, yes?) allows you to send 1000 emails. Is that for
real?
Download 32 music tracks. This is where it starts to seem that 1GB is 1G
bits.
Can anyone jumpstart my brain and tell me what am I missing?
Ta.

Old July 17th 09, 01:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
IanM

"Grumps" wrote in message
"Nigel" wrote in message
[...]

says it doesn't run out after 30 days
http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatc...geID=MB_001 2

I agree with you about the 3 site data - those figures are way out if it
is 1GigaByte. They do sat 1GB and elsewhere 3.6Mbps, implying they
mean't bytes.

Old July 17th 09, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Grumps

"IanM" wrote in message

"Grumps" wrote in message
"Nigel" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the link. Ideally I'm looking for a SIM only. Do these USB
dongles/modems have a SIM inside?

I agree with you about the 3 site data - those figures are way out if it
is 1GigaByte. They do sat 1GB and elsewhere 3.6Mbps, implying they mean't
bytes.

I had an online chat with a 3 rep. It is indeed 1Gbyte. He was unable to say
why a music track (by their numbers) was 32Mbytes, and an email 1Mbyte. He
said that "it was variable"!
He also asked which post code I would be using it in. I thought this a
strange question for mobile use.