BTinternet

Old July 15th 09, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deddajay

Default BTinternet

Hope someone can help me here.

I'm going to be sorting out some friends' computer tomorrow. They are on
BTinternet, and I was hoping someone could tell me they block port 25.
They have an alternative email provider and want to use the smtp server
provided by the third party.

If BTinternet do, is there any alternative port that they can use to get
round the block?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did Google but couldn't find
anything relevant.

Cheers
Deddajay
--

Put the big cat out to reach me.

Old July 15th 09, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Deddajay wrote:
Hope someone can help me here.

I'm going to be sorting out some friends' computer tomorrow. They are on
BTinternet, and I was hoping someone could tell me they block port 25.

"They block port 25". There. I've done what you hoped!

No idea if its true tho.,

They have an alternative email provider and want to use the smtp server
provided by the third party.

SMTP is not a server protocol. Its a push protocol.

If BTinternet do, is there any alternative port that they can use to get
round the block?

only 655345 or so.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did Google but couldn't find
anything relevant.

That's because you don't really know what you are talking about.

Is the problem sending, or receiving, mail?

Cheers
Deddajay

Old July 15th 09, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Cummings

In message , Deddajay
writes
Hope someone can help me here.

I'm going to be sorting out some friends' computer tomorrow. They are on
BTinternet, and I was hoping someone could tell me they block port 25.

I could tell you that they do, but they don't.
--
Ian
Old July 15th 09, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 15/07/2009 in message
Deddajay wrote:

Hope someone can help me here.

I'm going to be sorting out some friends' computer tomorrow. They are on
BTinternet, and I was hoping someone could tell me they block port 25.
They have an alternative email provider and want to use the smtp server
provided by the third party.

Have a look at this:
http://btyahoo.com/smtpnonbt

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.
Old July 15th 09, 11:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deddajay

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
: On 15/07/2009 in message

: Deddajay wrote:
:
: Hope someone can help me here.
:
: I'm going to be sorting out some friends' computer tomorrow. They are
on
: BTinternet, and I was hoping someone could tell me they block port
25.
: They have an alternative email provider and want to use the smtp
server
: provided by the third party.
:
: Have a look at this:
: http://btyahoo.com/smtpnonbt
:
:

Thanks for all replies - albeit some tongue in cheek )

Sorry, I'm tired, so I probably didn't explain myself very well.

I gather BTinternet do not block port 25, so if my friends have the
alternative provider's details, I should be able to set them up to send
via the third party provider.

If I've got it wrong, I'm sure someone will tell me.

Cheers
Deddajay

--

Put the big cat out to reach me.

Old July 16th 09, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Crowther

In uk.telecom.broadband, on Wed, 15 Jul 2009 23:54:18, Deddajay wrote:

I gather BTinternet do not block port 25, so if my friends have the
alternative provider's details, I should be able to set them up to send
via the third party provider.

The third party provider should be able to tell you what alternative
ports they acknowledge. You might have to set up SMTP-AUTH though, or
use SSL, or both.

--
Jim Crowther
Old July 16th 09, 12:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

: Deddajay wrote:
:
[...]

Generally you either send via your ISP's relay - in this case BT - or
via whoever hosts your email domain, using authenticated smtp with a
password.

No ISP blocks outbound port 25..or you couldn't reach THEIR mail relays.
If you cant send mail, it ain't much use as an ISP. If they only let you
access their mail relay, well that's OK: Use it.

They may possibly block incoming SMTP onto non fixed IP address domains
tho. But that's what POP and IMAP are for..

Cheers
Deddajay

Old July 16th 09, 06:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mugwump

: Deddajay wrote:
:
[...]

I think blocked was used in the sense that you have no option but to use
the ISPs server.

Freeserve used to 'hijack' port 25 and any SMTP request would be forced
on to their mail server and not the intended one.
Old July 16th 09, 06:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deddajay

"Mugwump" wrote in message
om...
: In article , lid
says...
: Deddajay wrote:
: "Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
: ...
: : On 15/07/2009 in message
:
: : Deddajay wrote:
: :
[...]

Thank you, Mugwump, that's exactly what I meant.

Cheers
Deddajay

Old July 16th 09, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Howard Neil

Deddajay wrote:
"Mugwump" wrote in message

: I think blocked was used in the sense that you have no option but to
use
: the ISPs server.
:
: Freeserve used to 'hijack' port 25 and any SMTP request would be
forced
: on to their mail server and not the intended one.

Thank you, Mugwump, that's exactly what I meant.

Cheers
Deddajay

In that case, the answer is no, they don't. I have already changed an
SMTP address for a customer. Both that ISP and BT used port 25 and it
worked perfectly.

--
Howard Neil