I've left Pipex Homecall

Old July 16th 09, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike GW8IJT

Default I've left Pipex Homecall

I was totally ****ed off with a variable speed which sometimes went down to
0.1Mb/s and a total lack of understanding/care by their broadband support,
that and the fact they go in for port throttling so that Usenet text only
newsgroups either on their own server or on news.individual.net didn't work
at various times of the day, although their broadband support always denied
they went in for port throttling.
Now I'm with Orange, they seem far more professional than Pipex Homecall
with a good solid 5-6Mb/s all the time & news.individual.net works all the
time (Orange don't do an NNTP server).
Mike.

Old July 16th 09, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike GW8IJT

"Mike GW8IJT" wrote in message
I was totally ****ed off with a variable speed which sometimes went down to
0.1Mb/s and a total lack of understanding/care by their broadband support,
that and the fact they go in for port throttling so that Usenet text only
newsgroups either on their own server or on news.individual.net didn't work
at various times of the day, although their broadband support always denied
they went in for port throttling.
Now I'm with Orange, they seem far more professional than Pipex Homecall
with a good solid 5-6Mb/s all the time & news.individual.net works all the
time (Orange don't do an NNTP server).
Mike.

And Orange supply a router called a Livebox, all I got from Pipex Homecall
was a crappy broadband modem.
Mike.

Old July 16th 09, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 09:27:56 +0100, Mike GW8IJT wrote:

I was totally ****ed off with a variable speed which sometimes went down to
0.1Mb/s and a total lack of understanding/care by their broadband support,
that and the fact they go in for port throttling so that Usenet text only
newsgroups either on their own server or on news.individual.net didn't work
at various times of the day, although their broadband support always denied
they went in for port throttling.
Now I'm with Orange, they seem far more professional than Pipex Homecall
with a good solid 5-6Mb/s all the time & news.individual.net works all the
time (Orange don't do an NNTP server).
Mike.

Mike,

What sort of best (unbad) speed did you get with Tiscrap? I know that I can
get 3M but the connection is always 1.6 - 2M and is slowed a lot at times.

I'm still considering changing, but not sure where to go (no unbundling
here) and also any change would cost more.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.