Vista's wireless connection software is much less resilient than XP's?

Old July 16th 09, 01:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

Default Vista's wireless connection software is much less resilient than XP's?

Is it just my laptop or is Vista's software for establishing a connection to
a wireless network much less resilient than XP's. I'm talking about the
buillt-in software rather than any proprietary software supplied by a
wireless adaptor vendor.

My Vista laptop will often not re-connect to an existing network
automatically if I reboot it or wake it up from sleep. Sometimes it can take
several attempts to manually disconnect and connect before it works. Once
the connection has been established, it is invariably rock-solid as long as
I stay in range.

The problem seems worst if I move from one network to another (eg use my
network, sleep the laptop, move to a friend's house, wake up laptop), though
I've seen it even when I reconnect to the same network that I was on before
I put the laptop to sleep.

If it fails to connect, it's usually an "incorrect response from router"
error.

My girlfriend's Netgear DG834PN router seems to cause more connection
problems than my Netgear DG834GT.

My old XP laptop, also with a built-in adaptor, never had connection
problems. Maybe it's the adaptor rather than the OS...

Old July 16th 09, 01:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article ,
Mortimer says...

[...]

Working fine here. I think I'd be looking at the drivers or some of the
options in them under Device Manager,adapter, properties, Advanced.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams