Birmingham, Selly Oak / University Area: Decent Broadband ProviderSought

Old July 17th 09, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Goche

Default Birmingham, Selly Oak / University Area: Decent Broadband ProviderSought

Hello,

I live in Selly Oak Birmingham close to the University of Birmingham.
Currently I am using Virgin Media as my DSL internet, TV, and phone
provider, however I am not satisfied with my internet service and I am
looking forward to change to another provider. I have a modern laptop
with an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor with Windows Vista which I bought
in 2009 am constantly experiencing but the problem is that whenever
I go onto google documents (http://docs.google.com) the whole thing
freezes for about fifteen seconds at a time, and the whole internet
service is thus not that good. I know it is the internet provider
which
is not good because my laptop is new. I currently pay about 20
pounds a month for the broadband.

I wonder whether there are other reasonably priced broadband
providers in my area out there which work better than this one.

Thanks,

John Goche
Old July 17th 09, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

I go onto google documents (http://docs.google.com) the whole thing
freezes for about fifteen seconds at a time, and the whole internet
service is thus not that good.

What do the speedtesters say?
Try both
http://www.realbroadbandspeed.co.uk/
and the BT one.
Both are outside Virgins network.

There are a number of utilities, like tracert, pathping,
ping, etc built into your operating system, and many
third party graphical utilities for diagnosing such
problems.
I get an error message for that URL, so the problem
may not be Virgin, as confirmed by a google search
on the error message.
Some report freezes of over 30 secs.
Virgin are starting to roll out 50Mbps BB at 35 a
month

I know it is the internet provider
which
is not good because my laptop is new

Unlikely to be due to the laptop or Virgin, and
moving to another ISP may make things worse.

Use tracert and pathping directing the output to a
text file, post it here, and query VM's support on
any errors reported in the text file output.
Try other URL's, do you get the same 15 secs
delays or error messages?
If not then the problems is localised to
http://docs.google.com.
Old July 18th 09, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Neatconnections

John Goche;183883 Wrote:
[...]

Hi John

I am a local telephone engineer and I have found that many broadband
problems are caused by poor telephone wiring. Try taking a look at my
website: www.neatconnections.co.uk or just give me a call on
07733218188
ADVICE IS FREE

KEITH

--
Neatconnections
Old July 19th 09, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

I go onto google documents (http://docs.google.com) the whole thing
freezes for about fifteen seconds at a time,

Another ISP might be worse if it is a configuration problem.
Try a lower MTU setting for starters.
Old July 19th 09, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Neatconnections wrote:
I am a local telephone engineer and I have found that many broadband
problems are caused by poor telephone wiring. Try taking a look at my
website: www.....co.uk or just give me a call on
077.....
ADVICE IS FREE

Ummm... how does poor telephone wiring cause problems on a Virgin cable
connection supplied by fibre and coax?

Theo
Old July 19th 09, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 19 Jul 2009 17:21:43 +0100 (BST), Theo Markettos
wrote:

Neatconnections wrote:
I am a local telephone engineer and I have found that many broadband
problems are caused by poor telephone wiring. Try taking a look at my
website: www.....co.uk or just give me a call on
077.....
ADVICE IS FREE

Ummm... how does poor telephone wiring cause problems on a Virgin cable
connection supplied by fibre and coax?

Theo

The word he used was MANY not ALL .
Old July 19th 09, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

wrote:

Neatconnections wrote:
I am a local telephone engineer and I have found that many broadband
problems are caused by poor telephone wiring. Try taking a look at my
website: www.....co.uk or just give me a call on
077.....
ADVICE IS FREE

Ummm... how does poor telephone wiring cause problems on a Virgin cable
connection supplied by fibre and coax?

Theo

The word he used was MANY not ALL .

A Broadband-Banterer replying to a Google-Grouper.
Is it just me, or does it look a little too convenient?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%