Router trouble with 3 dongle

Old July 19th 09, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lynn W

Default Router trouble with 3 dongle

Well finally plucked up courage to set up wireless router. 3 had been off
the air for most of the day, but is back now. Funny as when it first came
back I got 5 bars as signal strength for the first time ever in the caravan
but next I logged on I got the usual 2, everyone else must have realised it
was back and logged on as well :-)
Anyway I inserted dongle plugged in router the green and yellow light
flashed once but none of the lights on the front of the router lit up,
Power WLAN Mode Signal
Airport listed the router, so I went ahead anyway and put in the Wireless
Key which is apparently the password and it came back with invalid password,
though I suspect that is because the router has no power to it. I have
tried plugging in to different sockets etc. If I unplug the lead and plug
in again the same scenario starts.
Anyone else connected one of these?

Old July 19th 09, 06:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Zahut

Lynn W wrote:
[...]

I'm not quite sure that I understand what you're trying to do here. You
don't say what model the 3 dongle is but, if it's something like a ZTE
MF627, then that doesn't transmit a wifi signal and so will not connect to
the router. A wireless router and a 3 dongle are two different ways of
achieving the same thing, ie, getting access to the internet.

Normal scenario is that at home you'll have a wireless router connected to
the phone line. Laptop wirelessly connects to wireless router, which
connects to phone line, which connects to internet. In the caravan you
haven't got a fixed phone line to plug a wireless router into, so that's
where the 3 dongle comes in. The dongle is essentially a mobile phone so
you're cutting out the "middle man" of the wireless router and connecting
the laptop (via the included software of course) directly to the phone line
and on to the internet.

I really don't see how you can use a USB 3 dongle together with a wireless
router but, even if there is some way that you could, you say that the Power
light of the router is not lit - and it definitely will not ever work if
there's no power to it.

Old July 19th 09, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lynn W

On 19/7/09 18:43, in article , "Pete
Zahut" [email protected] wrote:

Lynn W wrote:
[...]

It is now working though I didn't do anything different. The way it works
is that you plug the 3 dongle (E169) into the 3 router (apparently this
router only works with 3 dongles) it then connects and I now have wireless
connectivity in the caravan that means my husband can also connect his
laptop to the internet as well as me being connected.
The only problem I can see now is me forgetting to unplug the dongle when I
leave meaning I cannot connect in the car on my way home while my husband is
driving :-)
Lynn

Old July 20th 09, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Zahut

Lynn W wrote:
[...]

Well you learn something new every day )

I had no idea that there was a router that you could plug a dongle into.
Amazing! With regard to leaving it behind, don't know what yours looks like
but mine (a ZTE MF627) has a small slot at the bottom so that you can put it
on a keyring. If yours is the same, put it on the ring along with the car
keys so that it has to go into the car with you )

Old July 20th 09, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lynn W

On 20/7/09 09:58, in article , "Pete
Zahut" [email protected] wrote:

Lynn W wrote:
On 19/7/09 18:43, in article
,

Lynn W wrote:
[...]

No mine doesn't have that :-) I have it now plugged into the router all the
time while I'm here so I can just open the laptop and off I go, such a
difference to having to plug in the dongle, wait for it to search and
connect. I must say I think 'sending' appears to be a bit slower than when
plugged in directly to the laptop, but that could be my imagination,
receiving seems to be the same.
Lynn

Old July 20th 09, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 09:58:12 +0100, "Pete Zahut" [email protected] wrote:

I had no idea that there was a router that you could plug a dongle into.
Amazing! With regard to leaving it behind, don't know what yours looks like
but mine (a ZTE MF627) has a small slot at the bottom so that you can put it
on a keyring. If yours is the same, put it on the ring along with the car
keys so that it has to go into the car with you )

I was looking recently for routers compatible with the ZTE MF627
(which is the freebie one which comes with the 15GB for 15 monthly
option) and came up with this one as a possible from Solwise
http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-routers-3gwifimrw.htm

Jim.

Old July 20th 09, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:46:17 +0100, Lynn W
wrote:

No mine doesn't have that :-) I have it now plugged into the router all the
time while I'm here so I can just open the laptop and off I go, such a
difference to having to plug in the dongle, wait for it to search and
connect. I must say I think 'sending' appears to be a bit slower than when
plugged in directly to the laptop, but that could be my imagination,
receiving seems to be the same.
Lynn

While I've been deciding which router to get, I've been using Internet
Connection Sharing on a vista laptop to allow other pc's to access the
net via its 3 usb dongle. For sure the speed at which clients can
access the net are well down on the laptop itself and I can't really
think why. The way my network is set up with ics involves some double
natting to get around vista's inflexibility of ip addressing and I
could imagine that having some effect on ping times but the throughput
is only about half of what can be achieved by connecting the laptop
direct. I'll be really disappointed if that's as good as it gets with
a dedicated 3g router.

Jim.

Old July 22nd 09, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 18:03:28 +0100, James Egan
wrote:

I had no idea that there was a router that you could plug a dongle into.
Amazing! With regard to leaving it behind, don't know what yours looks like
but mine (a ZTE MF627) has a small slot at the bottom so that you can put it
on a keyring. If yours is the same, put it on the ring along with the car
keys so that it has to go into the car with you )

I was looking recently for routers compatible with the ZTE MF627
(which is the freebie one which comes with the 15GB for 15 monthly
option) and came up with this one as a possible from Solwise
http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-routers-3gwifimrw.htm

A bit of follow up in case anyone is thinking of getting one of these
or something similar.

This solwise router works fine with the ZTE MF627 once the lastest
firmware has been downloaded and installed but not straight out of the
box. The re-flashing was a piece of cake so that isn't a big issue.

Sharing works fine with no noticeable speed difference when compared
with plugging the modem directly into a pc.

The wifi signal isn't as strong as the Netgear DG834GT I have sitting
nearby but it all works okay. Overall, I'm fairly happy with it so
far.

Jim.

Old July 25th 09, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Egan

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 20:35:42 +0100, James Egan
wrote:

A bit of follow up in case anyone is thinking of getting one of these
or something similar.

This solwise router works fine with the ZTE MF627 once the lastest
firmware has been downloaded and installed but not straight out of the
box. The re-flashing was a piece of cake so that isn't a big issue.

Sharing works fine with no noticeable speed difference when compared
with plugging the modem directly into a pc.

The wifi signal isn't as strong as the Netgear DG834GT I have sitting
nearby but it all works okay. Overall, I'm fairly happy with it so
far.

A bit more follow up.

The big variation in download rate I was getting was between vista and
xp pc's with vista performance being much better than xp.

Having done some large ping tests I've determined that a MaxMTU of
1464 and RWIN of about 18000 on xp is good for my 3connection here.

This has massively improved the thoughput on xp which is now operating
about the same rate as my vista laptop.

Do 3 have any recommendations for MTU and RWIN? I couldn't find any.

Jim.