Re : How to leave PlusNet, and why so difficult?

Old July 20th 09, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bassplus

Default Re : How to leave PlusNet, and why so difficult?

Interesting thread on yet more Plusnet woes and obstruction. Worthy of
Usenet publication as no doubt this will be my next issue with Plusnet
obstructing MAC issue.

http://tinyurl.com/mddpsk

Hi,

I'm not a PlusNet customer, but used to be a few years ago. Someone I
recommended at the time, has lost all interest in PlusNet (trying to
not be emotive with my words there, but I think you get the idea) and
just wants to move to another ISP.

Now they know they need to get a MAC Code so they can migrate away,
they've got absoloutely no interest in staying with PlusNet. So far
they've been unable to get a MAC code because it seems PlusNet either
wants to force the customer to phone up and speak with a customer
retention team (they're not interested, just give the customer their
code, please!) or to write to PlusNet by post. They aren't interested
in phoning up, can't afford to phone up and be on hold or in a queue,
don't want to be "sold" to by a retentions team, haven't got the time
to phone up, and quite frankly haven't got the energy to waste to do
so either.

1) Why won't PlusNet just issue a MAC Code when requested by the
customer?

2) Are these (phoning customer retention team, or writing a letter)
really the only ways PlusNet will provide a MAC Code?

3) Why does PlusNet make it so difficult for a customer to move away?

____________________________
Campaigning for ADSL Broadband in the Cambridgeshire Fenland towns
www.fenlandbroadband.co.uk

Old July 20th 09, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bassplus

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:32:30 +0100, Bassplus wrote:

[...]

[ fenlandbroadband] [link to this post]

Simple answer is that point 2 is correct and in accordance with the
Terms and Conditions and as stated here
http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/using/r...
It isn't difficult and as stated below you wil receive the key within
5 working days
7. How do I get a key?

You can either:

1. Call our Customer Options Team on: 0845 140 6002. Lines are open
between 9.00am-5.30pm on weekdays (except Bank Holidays).
2. Write to us at:

Plusnet Plc, Internet House, 2 Tenter Street, Sheffield, S1 4BY

We'll then make sure that within 5 working days there's a Question on
your account containing:

* Your MAC Key
* How long you can use the key to move to a new provider
* Which broadband service the key will let you move

Note: we can't reply to cancellation requests made using the Help
Assistant. Please contact our Customer Options team on the telephone
number above who will be able to deal with your query.

Old July 20th 09, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R Johnson

Default Easy way to leave plusnet

It's easy to leave plusnet :-)

http://www.wibblywobblyteapot.co.uk/plusnet
Old July 20th 09, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bassplus

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:35:32 +0100, Bassplus wrote:

[...]

So then we see confirmation just how difficult they make it for people
without access to a phone during office hours Mon/Fri when most ISPs
offer out of hours support and email facilities for obtaining a MAC.
No excuse for restrictions unless Plusnet want to bully their victims
in to submission. Not good. That alone needs OFCOM attention.

Then the *official* word from Plusnet

How to leave PlusNet, and why so difficult?
[ wingco1] [link to this post]

There are two ways you can request a MAC key from us (IIRC OFCOM
dictate that you need at least two avenues of communication).

From here.

A cancellation request can be made in one of two ways:

* By calling us: The quickest and easiest way to request a
cancellation is by calling our Customer Options Team on 0845 140 6002.
Any notice period that applies to the cancellation request will start
as soon as a call is made to our Customer Options Team.

* By post to: Plusnet, Internet House, 2 Tenter St. Sheffield, S1 4B.
It is recommended that for customers' own peace of mind, any letter
containing a cancellation request is sent by recorded delivery. We
cannot accept responsibility for lost letters not sent in this way.
The letter must state the account username, and if appropriate any
final payments due should be included.

We like to speak to all of our customers before they leave to ensure
that they understand the implications of doing so and also to make
sure that they're currently receiving the service that's best suited
to them (and make sure this isn't one of the reasons they're leaving).

Trying to keep custom is hardly a crime and is pretty much the norm
across the industry. I can assure you that our Customer Options team
don't bite and are perfectly reasonable folk

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Customer Support
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
http://twitter.com/plusnet

********************
Mocking in it's tone and irrelevant to the rules around MAC requests.
What Plusnet bullies want is neither here nor there. They are required
to provide the MAC in reasonable time and at reasonable request.
Obstructing customers by making one form impossible is not allowed,
and certainly unethical. Why would anyone want to go to an ISP that
treats their customers like this?

Old July 20th 09, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bassplus

On 20 Jul 2009 09:40:50 GMT, R Johnson wrote:

It's easy to leave plusnet :-)

http://www.wibblywobblyteapot.co.uk/plusnet

Couldn't even get that right dodo... sigh.

Old July 20th 09, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R Johnson

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:45:20 +0100, Bassplus wrote:

On 20 Jul 2009 09:40:50 GMT, R Johnson wrote:

It's easy to leave plusnet :-)

http://www.wibblywobblyteapot.co.uk/plusnet

Couldn't even get that right dodo... sigh.

No, but a dickhead sucker would *click* the link and leave their IP
address behind in the server logs :-)

Thanks so much... there were only *two* between 10:40 and 10:45
38.100.41.120
87.112.27.228

And I'm sure the other one will say 'that's mine' any moment now leaving
us free to nail you down. I mean, Plusnet support are going to know who
was using 87.112.27.228

Whist the other should not take long to trace back either;
38.100.41.120
network:ID:NET4-266429401A
network:Network-Name:NET4-266429401A
network:IP-Network:38.100.41.64/26
network:Postal-Code:22209
network:State:VA
network:City:ARLINGTON
network:Street-Address:1555 WILSON BLVD Suite 404
network:Org-Name:CYVEILLANCE
network:Tech-Contact:ZC108-ARIN
network:Updated:2007-10-05 20:45:56
network:Updated-by:John Knowles

You new to this trolling thing, you need to be a bit more careful :-)
Old July 20th 09, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bassplus

On 20 Jul 2009 10:07:50 GMT, R Johnson wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:45:20 +0100, Bassplus wrote:

On 20 Jul 2009 09:40:50 GMT, R Johnson wrote:

It's easy to leave plusnet :-)

http://www.wibblywobblyteapot.co.uk/plusnet

Couldn't even get that right dodo... sigh.

No, but a dickhead sucker would *click* the link and leave their IP
address behind in the server logs :-)

Why would that make them a sucker weirdo? Not everyone has something
to hide. You seem to have spent a lot of time and effort chasing a
secret that isn't a secret!

Thanks so much... there were only *two* between 10:40 and 10:45
38.100.41.120
87.112.27.228

And I'm sure the other one will say 'that's mine' any moment now leaving
us free to nail you down. I mean, Plusnet support are going to know who
was using 87.112.27.228

They already know dodo. What part of me complaining direct to Plusnet
do you think they might not understand? LOL

Whist the other should not take long to trace back either;
38.100.41.120
network:ID:NET4-266429401A
network:Network-Name:NET4-266429401A
network:IP-Network:38.100.41.64/26
network:Postal-Code:22209
network:State:VA
network:City:ARLINGTON
network:Street-Address:1555 WILSON BLVD Suite 404
network:Org-Name:CYVEILLANCE
network:Tech-Contact:ZC108-ARIN
network:Updated:2007-10-05 20:45:56
network:Updated-by:John Knowles

You new to this trolling thing, you need to be a bit more careful :-)

I think you need some fresh air weirdo, but go easy on it first or you
might get dizzy.
Old July 20th 09, 12:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bassplus

On 20 Jul 2009 10:07:50 GMT, R Johnson wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:45:20 +0100, Bassplus wrote:

On 20 Jul 2009 09:40:50 GMT, R Johnson wrote:

It's easy to leave plusnet :-)

http://www.wibblywobblyteapot.co.uk/plusnet

Couldn't even get that right dodo... sigh.

No, but a dickhead sucker would *click* the link and leave their IP
address behind in the server logs :-)

And more to the point what would an impotent weirdo do once he does
know who his victims are? Go on enlighten us all and tickle our fancy.
We could do with some excitement. I cant hold the crowd much longer.

I can see how the wibblwobblyweirdo cap fits you to a T.

Don't see why we should fund weirdo's like you to sit at home playing
with themselves at our expense. I'm going to complain to Gordon, he'll
get you back out on the strasse sweeping up. If you're ever over this
way I have a couple of specials need doing. All found.

Old July 20th 09, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:32:30 +0100, Bassplus wrote:

Interesting thread on yet more Plusnet woes and obstruction. Worthy of
Usenet publication as no doubt this will be my next issue with Plusnet
obstructing MAC issue.

In your case, they are probably just hanging on the line waiting for
you to ask for it.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
A seminar on Time Travel will be held two weeks ago.
Old July 20th 09, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:42:22 +0100, Bassplus wrote:

snip

7. How do I get a key?

You can either:

1. Call our Customer Options Team on: 0845 140 6002. Lines are open
between 9.00am-5.30pm on weekdays (except Bank Holidays).
2. Write to us at:

Plusnet Plc, Internet House, 2 Tenter Street, Sheffield, S1 4BY

We'll then make sure that within 5 working days there's a Question on
your account containing:

* Your MAC Key
* How long you can use the key to move to a new provider
* Which broadband service the key will let you move

Note: we can't reply to cancellation requests made using the Help
Assistant. Please contact our Customer Options team on the telephone
number above who will be able to deal with your query.

So then we see confirmation just how difficult they make it for people
without access to a phone during office hours Mon/Fri

i.e. not at all difficult, unless you also can't write.

snip

********************
Mocking in it's tone

If you could find anything the slightest little bit "mocking" in the
tone of that, then you are a real prize idiot.

and irrelevant to the rules around MAC requests.
What Plusnet bullies want is neither here nor there. They are required
to provide the MAC in reasonable time and at reasonable request.

Which is exactly what they do.

Obstructing customers by making one form impossible is not allowed,

There are very few people who have no access at all to a telephone
during office hours. So they are not in any way "making one form
impossible". The only reason two forms are required is that no matter
what they use for one form of contact, there will be *some* people who
cannot reasonably use it.

and certainly unethical. Why would anyone want to go to an ISP that
treats their customers like this?

Because it is quite a decent way to treat them.

They have a clear and readily accessible statement of how to obtain
the MAC code, and do so within a reasonable time.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
To be, or not to be. *BOOM!* Not to be.