Network seems to grind to a halt

Old July 21st 09, 02:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Barry

Default Network seems to grind to a halt

I am having an intermittent problem where my network seems to break down or
grind to a halt. About nineteen out of twenty times it works fine and then a
failure.
The network setup is a Netgear DG834GT modem/router to which two PC's are
hard wired and two laptops wireless.
There is then a twenty metre cable to a multi point ethernet swtch which has
five PC's connected to it; it is thsi "extended network" where I see the
problems.
These five PC's have programs running between them on three server/client
software packages. Only one PC has a keyboard and mouse; the rest are
controlled by VNC. Occasionally I perceive that the network is slowing down
and programs then start to drop out; it takes a minute or two before it all
grinds to a halt. One of the first bits to fail is the VNC link so I cannot
talk to the other computers. Each one seems to continue with programs
running on that particular PC, it is programs running across the network
that fail. I get the impression that something is "flooding" the network
with traffic but I have no technical grounds to support this feeling.
Now the funny bits: if I shut down all of the PC's and re-start the problem
does not always go away, neither does re-booting the router.
Until testerday I had been concentrating on the software running across the
network but then when trying a re-start yesterday I could not talk to any
PC's through VNC and there were no programs running except XP on each PC and
the VNC server/clients.
This was a major breakthrough as it seems to me to be a purely network
issue. Later again yesterday I re-booted the router, started up all PC's and
everything worked perfectly again for the whole evening.
I am no sort of network expert and could do with some suggestions.
I wonder if the twenty metre cable is a problem but then company links work
over far greater distances than this and most of the time mine works fine.
I am buying a new branded ethernet switch to replace the eBay cheapy in case
that is the problem.
I have upgraded the router formware to latest issue.
All firewalls are off except the router hardware one.
Any ideas?
TIA
Barry

Old July 21st 09, 07:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Barry
says...

I get the impression that something is "flooding" the network
with traffic but I have no technical grounds to support this feeling.

That'll be the infamous Windows XP searching for shared files and
printers then.

Try the following:

Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options. Click on View then untick the
first box AFAIR which tells it to automatically find shared files and
folders.

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk
Old July 21st 09, 07:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Barry

"Conor" wrote in message
In article , Barry
says...

I get the impression that something is "flooding" the network
with traffic but I have no technical grounds to support this feeling.

That'll be the infamous Windows XP searching for shared files and
printers then.

Try the following:

Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options. Click on View then untick the
first box AFAIR which tells it to automatically find shared files and
folders.

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk
looking good either. - Scott Adams

Thanks for that tip, I will try it. May take a week or two to see if it
makes a difference as the problem only occurs intermittantly.
Barry