How to waste time on BT's webpages

Old July 21st 09, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Layman

Default How to waste time on BT's webpages

I was trying to find out if I have to pay to upgrade to an NTE5 socket from
a pre-NTE5 socket at my house. So I searched the BT site and after a few
clicks found the BT Price List:
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/P...1-d0e1-section

In the "Contents" list, Section 4:Telephones & Ancillary Apparatus looked
right:
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/P....htm#0043-d0e1

I wasn't sure which was the correct section, but after Part9:Miscellaneous
could have been right:
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/P....htm#0043-d0e1

So now I was on the home run, right? Subpart 2:Plug & Socket Conversion
Charges looked good, so I clicked on it, and ended up at:
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/P...tm#0043-d0e221

Hmmm. Not so clear after all. OK let's click on the underscored 6 and we
go to:
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/P...4-d0e1-section

There's only one way to go, so we end up he
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/P....htm#0064-d0e1

Another link! So I click on: Subpart 1:Please Note New Contact Details for
This Part and it says "For pricing and product information please visit:
www.bt.com/cs or contact BT CS Direct on 0800 389 4848"

Let's see what www.bt.com/cs comes up with. Well, it opens
http://www.convergentsolutions.bt.com/
and that is headed "Communications for Business". It seems to have nothing
to do with changing a socket at a private residence...

Does anyone know the definitive answer to my original question, with
reference if possible to a relevant BT webpage?

TIA

--
Jeff

Old July 21st 09, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R Johnson

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 15:08:41 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

Does anyone know the definitive answer to my original question

Yes ( rule of thumb )
Ask BT to do *anything* other than a fault = you pay.
Glad I could help.
Old July 21st 09, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

Just buy one and fit it yourself!

It is a lot if BT come to do it.

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
I was trying to find out if I have to pay to upgrade to an NTE5 socket from
a pre-NTE5 socket at my house. So I searched the BT site and after a few
clicks found the BT Price List:

SNIP
TIA

--
Jeff

Old July 21st 09, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

R. Mark Clayton explained :
Just buy one and fit it yourself!

It is a lot if BT come to do it.

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
I was trying to find out if I have to pay to upgrade to an NTE5 socket from
a pre-NTE5 socket at my house. So I searched the BT site and after a few
clicks found the BT Price List:

SNIP
TIA

-- Jeff

Indeed. TRCs plus 25 is what Openreach charge the CP

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/pric...ujUDvDlXyfMBml

Old July 22nd 09, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

Jono wrote:

Indeed. TRCs plus 25 is what Openreach charge the CP

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/pric...ujUDvDlXyfMBml

An "illicit master socket" sounds like a sexy description of a crime!
Like drinking under prohibition.

However, a Time Related Charge which works out at 116.33 for a call out
and 99.88 per hour sounds like immoral earnings for changing lineboxes,
compared with the lesser charged more involved jobs of the other trades
- e.g. installing a satellite dish.

"open" reach. Not exactly very open is it? :-(

--
Adrian C
Old July 22nd 09, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Jono wrote:

Indeed. TRCs plus 25 is what Openreach charge the CP

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/pric...ujUDvDlXyfMBml

An "illicit master socket" sounds like a sexy description of a crime! Like
drinking under prohibition.

However, a Time Related Charge which works out at 116.33 for a call out
and 99.88 per hour sounds like immoral earnings for changing lineboxes,
compared with the lesser charged more involved jobs of the other trades -
e.g. installing a satellite dish.

"open" reach. Not exactly very open is it? :-(

I'm told you can get BT to charge on a time and materials basis with a 15
minute minimum ...

--
Graham J

Old July 22nd 09, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Layman

Jono wrote:
R. Mark Clayton explained :
Just buy one and fit it yourself!

It is a lot if BT come to do it.

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
I was trying to find out if I have to pay to upgrade to an NTE5 socket
from a pre-NTE5 socket at my house. So I searched the BT site and
after a few clicks found the BT Price List:

SNIP
TIA

-- Jeff

Indeed. TRCs plus 25 is what Openreach charge the CP

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/pric...ujUDvDlXyfMBml

Thanks for the ref. I think when I saw "wholesale..." I just ignored the
rest.

looking at those price lists it seems to me as though Openreach operate from
a branch of the Royal Mint!

--
Jeff