Oh WOE me Plusnet Woes.

Old July 23rd 09, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bassplus

Default Oh WOE me Plusnet Woes.

Broadband guide had some discussion on Plusnet. It would seem nothing
changes when it comes to Plusnet woes.

*******************

Been with plusnet for years. Youtube videos no longer play well. On
ringing Plusnet support the basic outcome was that they recommended
going to another ISP which does not throttle traffic such as Youtube.
Posted by Steve on the 17th June 2009

Been with plusnet for years, download speeds during the day between
12:00 and 12:00 are soo slow, no chance of watching youtube videos for
example. Early mornings and very late in the evenings it does speed up
considerably, if it was this speed all the time i would be happy. So
to sum up if you use the internet very late evenings or early mornings
its fine, if not it sucks.
Posted by James on the 3rd June 2009

I moved house in Oct last year and when called they explained all
except telling me that my speed would have dropped to 500Kb. When
calling back they pointed out info at Samknows saying that 8Mb is
speed at exchange and this drops due to distance (I'm 2km from
exchange). This is just ridiculous. Unwilling to escalate to BT that
the copper to my new house is just a piece of crap. BB now has gone
down twice. It's taking longer and longer to get fixed. I am locked
with them until Oct otherwise I need to pay 40 quid. I will leave asap
after that. Not worth spending 20 pounds per month for 500Kb.
Posted by Giorgio on the 22nd May 2009

I have been with PlusNet almost five years. Over the last three months
I had found my download speed getting worse and worse. Finally a month
ago I contacted customer support and after many emails and hours of
doing pointless tests I am no better off. Contacting customer support
for a MAC code is a very time consuming business too. I spent hours
trying to just get through to a member of staff. Beware all the hidden
charges if you cancel your PlusNet account. Make sure you know them
BEFORE you sign up with them. They are fond of dropping them on you
unexpectedly. I CANNOT recommend PlusNet. You値l pay for one service
(in my case 8mbps) and then you値l receive another ( in my case speed
dropped to 400kbps). They seem to be lowering the speed for many
people SO BEWARE!!!
Posted by Baz on the 5th May 2009

Please can I have advise on leaving Plusnet without incurring enormous
costs. Signed up for monthly contract in Feb 2009 with no set up.
1. Found set up fee charged - refunded when I complained.
2. Receiving speeds of less than 1Mb and usually cut off on a Sunday.
3. As I intend moving house soon do not want to incur more charges.
4. The service is not worth the one star rating.
Posted by athnas on the 8th March 2009

Customer service is terrible. They never answer letters even when you
asking about an extension to their service from which they might make
a profit. You have to wait a long time for the telephone to be
answered and then very unhelpful.
Posted by B. Curtis on the 19th February 2009

I used to think PlusNet wer a good company, but my Broadband has now
been offline for SIX WEEKS. Their customer support is polite but
TOTALLY ineffective. PATHETIC. They have no sense of urgency, no
escalation procedure. HOPELESS
Posted by Paul on the 14th January 2009

Plusnet is the one of Broadband & Telephone companies to avoid at all
costs.

Bad customer service. Bad broadband support. Overcharged for things
that I didn't have. Stop communicating with you if you complain. Made
a big mess of my broadband and telephone.
Posted by Antonio on the 17th November 2008

AVOID PlusNet! I joined them mid 2005 on an unlimited package. A few
weeks ago I got an e-mail advising I had gone over 4GB and they slowed
me down to 128kbps (annoyingly slow). They publish limits for new
customers but no limit was in place when I signed up and it was a
waste of time writing to their Customer Support Director. They were
bought by BT a few years ago (and I despise BT). So I rapidly dumped
PlusNet and my BT line and am now with Virgin Cable on a 2MB package
which is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the PlusNet 1MB if you're lucky
service I was getting (advertised up to 8MB but what a joke this is).
And I'm only paying Virgin 」20 monthly for phone line, broadband and
Cable TV. I was previously paying 」26 for phone line and slow
broadband. And when I'd given notice to PlusNet they e-mailed to
advise they were adding a cessation charge of 」20 if the MAC code was
not used to migrate to another BT line provided broadband service. I
quickly rejected this THREAT as not applicable to me as I had already
handed in my notice. Existing customers who receive this THREATENING
e-mail have 30 days to reject this change in T&Cs and move to Cable.
They must be loosing so many customers to Cable that they have decided
to profit from this! So, if you have Cable in your area, my STRONG
recommendation is to dump your BT line provided broadband and go to
Cable. PlusNet should be AVOIDED.
Also I would NOT recommend Tiscali to anybody, again this is on a BT
line with poor performance and disgraceful customer service. AVOID
PlusNet and Tiscali - BE WARNED!
Posted by Jon on the 7th October 2008

Plusnet are absolutely terrible. Stay well away.

I signed up 2 years ago when they had the relatively good claim of an
8Mb connection speed.

At my house, I've been told by two engineers that it is capable of
receiving 6Mb speeds, which I was still more than happy with. However,
my Plusnet speed rarely breaches 1Mb.

Hundreds of users have complained with the same issue, and to top
that, now their fair usage policy is even more ridiculous.

Several other points to note a
*Incompetent customer service
*On-purposely slow responses to requests to leave (costing you more in
monthly fees as you wait for them to generate a MAC code)
*Data deletion if you are unlucky. My personal webpage was deleted
from my Plusnet webspace with no warning or apology.
*Regular changes to Terms and Conditions, often resulting in a
negative for the entire customer base.
*Decreasing speeds country-wide along with decreasing customer
service.
*Not even the best value provider for the same speed anymore.

Other complaints from the web feature Plusnet's lack of security for
their customer's data and that hundreds of users email addresses have
been released to spammers.

The list goes on. Unfortunately I can't even give them less than one
star. Avoid at all costs.
Posted by Minusnet on the 19th September 2008

signed up to plus net option 1 on 7.12.07. they assure me that they
now are owned by BT and there is a monthly contract. No set up fee but
If cancelled within twelve months set up fee will then be payable.
Otherwise there are no hidden charges. Is this too good to be true?
Posted by Gloria Platts on the 9th December 2007

Ordered plus.net broadband 3 weeks ago - just found out that they have
courier problems and they don't know when they can deliver the
equipment - says Stephen on 27/08/07 at 11.26 am. Stay away if you are
wise!
Posted by Gerry Mchugh on the 27th August 2007

PlusNet are inept and dangerously incompetent. As other users have
highlighted, they divulged their users' email addresses to spammers,
as well as deleting vast amounts of customer data.

AVOID at all costs.
Posted by Ian on the 23rd July 2007

Is it me, or did everyone not receive an email in Jan 07 saying that
Plusnet's T's and C's were changing and we would no longer have to pay
to leave if we'd been with them for over a year? So why is it that now
I want to leave, after 2 years, they're asking me to pay over 」100!?
Who are these guys?
Posted by Susannah Ellis on the 3rd July 2007

I've been with PlusNet for years. Never had a problem with them. Never
had reason to cancel. I recommend them.
Posted by Michael on the 23rd June 2007

Slow download speed, and I found out from the BBC - not from PlusNet -
that their security has been breached so that my - soon to be ex -
email address is in the hands of spammers.
Posted by Simon Webb on the 23rd May 2007

The FREE set up was very loudly advertised when i joined plusnet,
checking the site again on cancellation you had to follow a very
special set of hyperlinks to root out the hidden charges that you
'agree' to. I'd thought I'd read all the terms when I joined.

For the scale of their deceit, the people who came up with this should
be doing time.
Posted by Plusnetarecommoncriminals on the 22nd May 2007

Migrated away from plus.net on the 4th of April, fees were rescinded
on the 7th or so I think. Was later informed that because they had
been rescinded I wouldn't have to pay deferred activation fees...

Just had letter through from debt collection agency.

!!!STAY AWAY!!!!

One star is WAY too high.
Posted by Smokersroom on the 27th April 2007

Just tried cancelling my Plusnet contract (after approaching 2 years)
to be told about these deferred fees - no happy about this at all!
There was no mention of this when I signed up - depsite the person I
spoke to assuring me there was. I wouldn't have signed up to them had
I been made aware of these fees!
Aparently the fees are being waved on 11th April so I'll be ordering
my MAC code on 12th April and signing up with a reputable provider! 1
Star feels a bit generous to me right now!
Posted by Simon Whittley on the 24th March 2007

following the above comments from Mand, I emailed Plusnet as I am
about to migrate.

"
This scheme is going to be introduced as we informed all customers of
back in January (if you view Service Notice: SN38327156 as a reminder)
however this hasnt been implemented yet, we expect that to be
implemented within the next month when our product refresh and new
broadband products are released.

However if your account is cancelled before then due to your migration
then those charges you will still be obliged to pay.
"

I even emailed Mand, but she has not replied.

This site has ratings 1 to 5.
Is there any way to rate lower than a 1??!
Posted by Marcel Read on the 22nd March 2007

Been with Plusnet on and off for 8 years, I haven't used the
connection that I have with them for about 4 months as I have a free
connection through work. Yet, even as a loyal customer for all this
time they still want to charge me 」160 to cancel.
Posted by S Mclean on the 26th February 2007

They used to be good but now I am in the process of leaving my
connection speed is only 0.1Mb/s instead of the advertised 8Mbs/s. I
am not one of those the exceed package download limits so there is no
justification for them choking my account. This problem is widespead.
I consider their advertising of their service to be a fraudulent,
misrepresentation, if they are a offering a service only marginally
better than dialup it should not be advertised as 8Mb/s , However
perhaps they realise the fhte demand for 100K broadband rather
limited.

Posted by Jon Scott on the 22nd February 2007

I used to like plusnet. They had good customer relations and the speed
etc was good. It has been getting steadily worse. Like hundreds of
others I have found my typical speed is now 0.1Mb/s, when they are
advertising it as an 8Mb/s. I am not one of those who is exceeding my
download limits so there is no justification for choking my
connection. I am in the process of leaving. The advertising of these
product is not just misleading, it is fraudulent. Avoid at all cost.
Plus net can try and sue me if they like but they know they will
loose.
Posted by Jon Scott on the 22nd February 2007

I couldn't agree more with the comments on this site. I signed up for
the broadband plus service and up to a couple of months ago I was
getting semi decent downloads, now my speed is about that of dialup.\

Pathetic service. Slow to respond. NOT WORTH THE EFFORT!!!
Posted by Colin Donaldson on the 16th February 2007

PlusNet used to be fantastic and I recommended them to several people.
Now I wish I hadn't. They have been invoicing me to the wrong address
for the past year. This didn't matter to them as I was paying by
direct debit but now I need my invoices for tax purposes and have
asked them to correct the mistake, which they refused to do in spite
of the fact that the error is theirs. Their online customer service is
absolutely hopeless. They either don't respond to the question you ask
or simply say that there is nothing they can do. At no stage has
anyone offered anything by way of an apology, an explanation or, most
importantly, attempted to resolve the problem. I feel as though I'm
stuck with them until they sort this out (if they ever do... I'm not
holding my breath) but I will then be leaving at the earliest
opportunity and I will not be recommending them again.
Posted by Clare Allan on the 13th February 2007

My daughter, a student, went into a shared house for a year. She
signed up with Plusnet knowing that she would need to cancel after a
year. Since last July when she moved out she has been trying to cancel
her agreement. It now 6 months on and Plusnet will not let her go.
I have never heard of an activation fee before and I am certain that
no reputable company would expect a cancellation fee if you wish to
leave after a year, let alone the 5 years, yes 5 years that Plusnet
insist on.
This is sharp practice. The details are hidden away in the small print
and are not explained when new users sign up. Any student should
beware as the likelyhood of being in the same accomodation for several
years is pretty remote.
Posted by Bob Hughes on the 6th February 2007

I signed up when there website had the words FREE SETUP all over it.
Now i have to pay 」67 after a year and a half to cancel! Had lots of
problems getting them to fix a line issue in the past. Also unlimited
bandwidth - don't think so. They slap bandwidth restrictions on you
all over the place. Even if they are removing the setup costs now its
only for new customer and i bet you will have to pay one way or
another

STAY AWAY!!!
Posted by Mark Armstrong on the 6th February 2007

Hi

My name is Mand and I work for the Comms Team here at PlusNet.

I'd like to clarify a few things surrounding deferred fees.

When you sign up to our service we give you two options in terms of
the setup cost; pay it upfront before activation (」47 for the ADSL
connection +any hardware costs) or defer it on your account. Any
deferred fees reduce by 20% for every year you stay with us, reducing
to zero after the five years.

It's important to note that these fees represent the costs we incur on
your behalf (every provide order we place costs 」47 and hardware is
supplied by a 3rd party retailer).

You are not required to pay 5 years subscription fees at any time, and
can leave at any time with 30 days notice provided the fees are
settled.

That said, we are currently in the process of replacing the deferred
fees scheme, and offering free activation and hardware provided you
stay with us for one year.

Existing customers who have been with us for more than one year will
have the fees waived.

If anyone has any further issues, or would like to discuss any of the
above you can contact me directly by email ) or you
can visit our discussion forums:
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/

Kind Regards
Mand Beckett
PlusNet Comms Team
Posted by Mand Beckett on the 30th January 2007

Good News apparently... just had plusnet's 'newsletter' for 2007.
Seems they are scrapping the 'deferred charges' for anyone who's been
with them for over 12 months...seems like all the complaints have
finally hit home!
Posted by Susannah Ellis on the 25th January 2007

Plus Net are appaling. Had i known about the hidden charges sprawled
across their T&Cs i woudl never have signed up.

I was sucked in by the FREE setup and FREE house move, now when i want
to cancell i apparently owe 」94. This isnt even a year contract, jsut
monthly.

Whats more, i changed my package...which cost me 」14.99. Nice.

Plus Net are an appalling waste of time and money.
Posted by Rob Mcgeown on the 24th January 2007

Having exactly the same problems as everyone else. I've just moved
house, and plusnet are telling me I have to pay them either 」53 to
move my account, or over 」90 to cancel it - talk about a catch 22!
I've been with them for a year and a half - my contract was only due
to run for a year, and yet still I'm supposed to pay a cancellation
fee? How can that be fair...?
Posted by Susannah Ellis on the 23rd January 2007

I have had the same problems as listed above. However if like me you
have found this page searching the net for people in the same boat as
you, hear is what you need to do. ring ofcom and tell them your
problem ( trading standards dont want to know they say you should have
read the terms and cond's) they will advise you to write a formal
complaint to them stating that by law they have 12 weeks to respond.
and that you have registered a complaint with the advertising
standards agency for misleading advertising ( free modem, free setup
etc...) in effect plusnet are trying to tie you down for 5 years!! and
in the words of ofcom this is an unacceptable amount of time to
include in any terms and cond's for such a service, after all ( and
this is very unlikely to happen ) the internet could crash today and
never come back online, and you would be left paying for 5 years or
paying a big fee!!

at the moment i am at the stage of the formal complaint, ofcom have
assured me that i will not have to pay the fees they are demanding if
i follow the correct process, it is a bit of a nightmare but if
everyone dose the same i am sure plusnet will start to open there ears
and realise that they are just spitting there dummies out and charging
when people want to leave.

Good Luck and keep fighting don稚 let the big companies of this world
take the p#@s out of us.

Posted by Tony Runciman on the 18th January 2007

Please, if any one out there is considering signing up to plusnet,
DON'T! They are useless, but worse they make a living out of ripping
people off. There cancellation charges are disgusting and never
mentioned until it is too late.
Posted by Terence Quinn on the 4th December 2006

STAY WELL AWAY is the message here.

The "Free" setup they mention is not free, it is a deferred setup and
modem charge that will cost you 」72 when you want to leave. It is only
free if you stay with Plusnet for 5 years!

"Unlimited" means your internet will be severely limited if you go
over their usage limits (package dependent).

"Up to 8Mb" means connecting at less than 1Mb is perfectly acceptable
to them.

Basically, read the terms and conditions VERY carefully, there are a
lot of hidden surprises. Please learn from my mistakes.

Posted by Mike Smith on the 17th November 2006

Thay are about to be taken over by BT I undersand from Mac magazines.
Will be worse (If possible) then I suppose
Posted by Peter Hogben on the 9th November 2006

I agree with all comments made on this page. I signed with plusnet
last year to broadband plus which I was told had unlimited usage with
a fair usage policy.

Earlier this year without consulting with me they change the product
and limited me to only 4gb a month at peak times!

When I asked why had they changed my package with out my aproval i was
told

"We have not changed the terms and conditions of your service. We have
simply introduced clearer usage guidelines on a service that has
always been contended and managed accordingly. As such the service has
never been advertised as unlimited."

What a load of rubbish. If they have limited my allocated download
amount then they have changed my terms. STAY WELL AWAY.

BTW, I too have a large cancelation charge.

Posted by Driss Elatmani on the 29th October 2006

STAY AWAY from them if you want the flexibility to leave this ISP for
another one in the future. They charge hefty cancellation fees (for
cancellation and for hardware) and nearly 50 squids stealthily
incurred if you move house!
I should have read the small print thoroughly when I signed up to
them. cos I thought it was cool that they said they would cover the
costs of setting up fee and hardware provision otherwise you can pay
for them upfront. Obviously, I didnt want to pay too much and opt for
the free signup route. At the time, I must have involuntarily assumed
it is to cover their costs if you leave contract after short period of
time i.e. less than a year. After 12 months, 2 successful referrals
(which I feel bad about) and a house move, I was quoted 」114 in
cancellation fee if I wanted to leave. I asked how long will it take
if I want to leave Plusnet for free of charge - the reply was 9
years!!!!!! This is really outrageous - honestly.
Posted by Tony Barlow on the 14th October 2006

Been with plusnet for 18 mths was led to believe that when sighned up
after 1 year contract i was free to move anyware which is true if you
dont mind paying the cancellation charges (which i wasnt made aware of
!!!).Bad company which i would advise anybody to stay away.
Posted by N Hoggins on the 3rd October 2006

We used Plus net for tha last 2 years or so .
1 ) We had never thought of billing and they have never tried to
upgrade the customers.
Plus net has made a big hole in our pocket now we have to rethink
about our provider

2) For the last 6 weeks we had about six hrs connections and our
telephone line was bad as well, we phoned BT, to check our telephone
line. When BT engineer checked line line was OK. The engineer told us
to contact net provider. We did
but , we could only hear recorded messages so we could not speak to
any human in Plus net . We now think plus net come from out of our
planet
Posted by Nariman-taheri on the 27th July 2006

I agree with David - 1 year + ago they rocked, but just try and speak
to someone at their Tech support - even their premium phone line. You
can absolutely forget it. Their online support is ok so you will end
up using dialup if yours goes down. Personally I prefer to talk to
someone with a brain on the phone so will be moving from Plusnet just
as soon as I can. Oh and you will also be tied into a decreacing
cancellation fee of about 」150 so watch out there!
Posted by Martin Williams on the 18th July 2006

If you were using plusnet a year ago, you would have had great
customer service, fast internet speeds and a generally very good
service.

However, there have been some big changes (which were not well
advertised to customers) which places huge usage restrictions
(downloads and uploads) on users. I personally have had nothing but
problems since the beginning of the year with my connection (with it
cutting out, and slowing down with no warning).

Their customer service (while having pleasant phone manner) are simply
unable to correct any technical problems. After receiving about 10
emails in response to a continuing query, I simply gave up.

If it wasnt for their horrendous cancellation charges, I would change
provider now. I will however be cancelling at the first opportunity
where it doesn't cost a fortune.

Old July 24th 09, 12:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Bassplus" wrote in message
Broadband guide had some discussion on Plusnet. It would seem nothing
changes when it comes to Plusnet woes.

snip diatribe

I pity any ISP that would have you as a customer

Steve Terry

Old July 24th 09, 01:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:37:03 +0100, Bassplus wrote:

Broadband guide had some discussion on Plusnet. It would seem nothing
changes when it comes to Plusnet woes.

ALL ISPs have disgruntled customers, even the best.

The cheaper ones tend to have more, due mainly to unrealistic
expectations, and of course the larger ISPs have more, even if the
proportion is smaller.

Posting an unformatted list of rants by other customers is not only
pointless, it is also a breach of copyright.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Windows NT: The world's only 80 megabyte Solitaire game!
Old July 24th 09, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bassplus

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 00:38:51 +0100, Alex Heney
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:37:03 +0100, Bassplus wrote:

Broadband guide had some discussion on Plusnet. It would seem nothing
changes when it comes to Plusnet woes.

ALL ISPs have disgruntled customers, even the best.

The cheaper ones tend to have more, due mainly to unrealistic
expectations, and of course the larger ISPs have more, even if the
proportion is smaller.

Posting an unformatted list of rants by other customers is not only
pointless, it is also a breach of copyright.

Maybe that will give you a job then you sad ****? copyright chaser.
It'll give you a break from chasing tornadoes inside your head.

Copyright my arse.

Old July 24th 09, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:37:03 +0100, Bassplus wrote:

Broadband guide had some discussion on Plusnet. It would seem nothing
changes when it comes to Plusnet woes.

ALL ISPs have disgruntled customers, even the best.

The cheaper ones tend to have more, due mainly to unrealistic
expectations, and of course the larger ISPs have more, even if the
proportion is smaller.

Posting an unformatted list of rants by other customers is not only
pointless, it is also a breach of copyright.

Maybe that will give you a job then you sad ****? copyright chaser.
It'll give you a break from chasing tornadoes inside your head.

I have a very good job, thankyou.

Copyright my arse.

So you know nothing of the law either.

No surprise there.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
MS Windows -- From the people who brought you EDLIN!
Old July 25th 09, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dean

Bassplus wrote:
[...]

Im thankfully off of PlusNet. Seriously totally disgruntled with them.

Worked out with a 20 Gig usage limit (which is actually 13 Gig before
restrictions apply is something like 219 Meg each in a three member
household. So, what's that, a Youtube video and no service packs or
Windows updates?

Then you have things like iTunes downloads taking 23 minutes to
download, iPlayer taking 5 hours or something ridiculous.

Come midnight, everything would speed up to near full speed. This means
to me that the problem comes clearly in traffic shaping and not
necessarily in the sheer volume of traffic.

In fact, even their own graphs showed peaks and troughs in internet
usage suggesting that there are times when their internet pipes aren't
being fully utilised. So where's the extra bandwidth gone? I'll tell you
where, flaming people doing the only thing they can do, streaming video.

Yeah, streaming video gets a higher priority than anything else. Well it
has to doesn't it? It's time sensitive.

Stuff it, no ISP is telling me what I can and cannot download and when
and when I cannot.

Moved to Be
Old July 25th 09, 08:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bassplus

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 23:06:39 +0100, Simon Dean
wrote:

Bassplus wrote:
[...]

I can't believe how streaming is being promoted at the expense of
everyone else. It should be a paid for service in it's own right and
not at the cost of those who don't use it.

Stuff it, no ISP is telling me what I can and cannot download and when
and when I cannot.

Moved to Be

How come and how long?

Old July 25th 09, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Simon Dean" wrote in message
Bassplus wrote:
[...]

Posted by Jon Scott on the 22nd February 2007 I couldn't agree more with
[...]

And that's also my (only) beef with Plusnet - the bloody "traffic-shaping".
I've had to take out their most expensive tariff to avoid it.

George

Old July 25th 09, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dean

wrote:
[...]

Quite right. If I want to download a service pack or an iTunes song, why
should I have to wait til midnight? Why is it the only thing I can do
through the day is stream a video?

Stuff it, no ISP is telling me what I can and cannot download and when
and when I cannot.

Moved to Be

How come and how long?

How come? Because of the traffic shaping by PlusNet, because of the
quaint insistence of throttling me at 13 Gig on a 20 Gig usage account.
i was still on Broadband Premier.

Been with Be just over a month.

Real breath of fresh air. Im not that heavy a user. It's great not
having to think or worry about what time of the day you download an
iTunes song or an iPlayer video. Or if Microsoft release a new SP for
Vista, being able to download it during the day.

Im not throttled into obscurity, and my activity is just as important as
everyone elses.

I think they must work by natural human behaviour

Build a network for a few heavy users. Get a great reputation from the
geeks. The grannies join and use very little but still get a great
service. The two even themselves out. Then Businesses join and use the
bandwidth during the day while the geeks are content at night. Everyone
wins.

Though you do perhaps get the situation where a low bandwidth user
subsidises a high bandwidth user. But thankfully, I don't think anyone
has twigged onto that.