Best way to wire new sockets for Broadband installation

Old July 23rd 09, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AO

Default Best way to wire new sockets for Broadband installation

I'm moving house in a week, I was wondering what my best option for wiring
the sockets in my new house for best performance particularly with ADSL2+
when we get it, and whether it really matters much either way.

The new house is 500m from the exchange. My current house is 100m away from
it, just next door really. I get max speed on the line.

The new house NTE5 is located in the loft. There is currently a soft wired
extension plugged into the socket on the NTE, it runs along the loft,
through the ceiling to the kitchen. This is the only extension in the
house.

So my options:

1. Hard wire a socket to the NTE and run it down through the ceiling into
the computer room, total length about 20ft. Then attach line filter to
extension socket beside computer.

2. Run a long modem cable straight to the NTE from the router and plug the
router cable into the line filter attached directly to the NTE. Then run the
extension to the kitchen from the analogue port on the filter, and install
DECT phones from there. Length again 20ft

3. Plug a two way socket splitter into the NTE, run two soft wired
extensions from it. One to the kitchen as exist, another into the computer
room through the ceiling. Attach filters to both sockets, attach phones as
required. New extension 20ft as before.

No. 3 is quickest and easiest, presuming the line is good would any of these
be more or less ideal than the other ?

Thanks,

AO

Old July 23rd 09, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

It happens that AO formulated :
[...]

1 best
2 mediocre
3 worst

4. Install filtered face plate in loft; run new cable, conneted to the
back of the NTE for router and use existing plugged in extension lead
for phones.