Belkin adapter problem after malware elimination

Old July 23rd 09, 03:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Josh Reece

Default Belkin adapter problem after malware elimination

I have a Belkin G adapter on a desktop machine (OS W2K). The router is a
Belkin N1. Yesterday I bought PC Tools Spyware Doctor and ran a scan. I
eliminated the recommended stuff, and my wireless setup stopped working. I
restored the files from the Spyware quarantine section, but the wireless
still won't work. I have even uninstalled and reinstalled the Belkin Setup
Utility.

The problem can't have anything to do with my firewall because even when I
switch it off the system still won't work.

One clue:

If I choose an open access channel, the little Belkin icon in the right hand
bottom tray goes green (which it is supposed to). However, I still can't
access the internet.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks for your input.

Josh

Old July 23rd 09, 05:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Josh Reece says...

I have a Belkin G adapter on a desktop machine (OS W2K). The router is a
Belkin N1. Yesterday I bought PC Tools Spyware Doctor and ran a scan. I
eliminated the recommended stuff, and my wireless setup stopped working. I
restored the files from the Spyware quarantine section, but the wireless
still won't work. I have even uninstalled and reinstalled the Belkin Setup
Utility.

The problem can't have anything to do with my firewall because even when I
switch it off the system still won't work.

One clue:

If I choose an open access channel, the little Belkin icon in the right hand
bottom tray goes green (which it is supposed to). However, I still can't
access the internet.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks for your input.

Josh

Winsock might be screwed. Easiest way out is a repair installation.

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk
Old July 24th 09, 10:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Josh Reece

"Conor" wrote in message
In article , Josh Reece says...

[...]

I decided to do one. Unfortunately it's been years since I've needed to
repair my W2K installation, and I forgot how to do it. Instead of booting
from the CD, I ran it UNDER W2K. When I realized I was making a mistake, the
computer restarted, and I saw I had the option of starting my ordinary
installation instead of the new one, so that was what I chose to do. I then
restarted the machine, went into the BIOS, and chose the boot from CD-ROM
option. This option brought up MS-DOS and it wouldn't let me run the W2K
Setup under Dos. I found out how to by-pass this, and the setup duly
started, only to stop immediately with a message like "Cannot find a place
to swap files".

My next surprise came when I restarted my ordinary installation. I
unininstalled Spyware Doctor, and lo and behold my wireless connection came
back! However, the machine now kept asking me to insert various installation
CDs in the CD-ROM. I managed to resolve all these problems, but I am not
100% confident that my installation is stable.

So, just in case I do have to do a repair, how can I tell the Setup where to
swap files?

Thanks for your help.

Josh