Change provider - keep e mail address?

Old July 23rd 09, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J B

Default Change provider - keep e mail address?

A mate of mine wants to change from Virgin to Talk Talk to make use of their
'free' broadband.
He'd like to keep his @virgin.net e mail address.
Is this possible?

--
J B

Old July 23rd 09, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"J B" wrote in message
A mate of mine wants to change from Virgin to Talk Talk to make use of
their 'free' broadband.
He'd like to keep his @virgin.net e mail address.
Is this possible?

I doubt it.
I have my e-mail address with Google Mail then download into my O.E./Windows
Mail.
There are others but I found they wanted payment so choose Google.
I can now change ISP with no problems for e-mails.

--
Regards,
David

FREESAT HD as it is now it is a joke.

Old July 23rd 09, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anahata

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:43:27 +0100, J B wrote:

A mate of mine wants to change from Virgin to Talk Talk to make use of
their 'free' broadband.
He'd like to keep his @virgin.net e mail address. Is this possible?

He'd have to persuade Virgin to keep his mailbox even though he didn't
have a BB connection with them, presumably for some nominal charge. It's
technically possible but I doubt it suits their business model as it
wouldn't be a standard package.

Really the best way to deal with this problem is to register your own
domain name. You have to tell everybody your new email address just once,
then after that you can change ISPs as often as you like. It's worked for
me for years, with several ISP changes.

Or change to gmail or similar as suggested.

--
Anahata
==//== 01638 720444

Old July 23rd 09, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

J B wrote:
A mate of mine wants to change from Virgin to Talk Talk to make use of their
'free' broadband.
He'd like to keep his @virgin.net e mail address.
Is this possible?

Sometimes you can switch to PAYG dialup and keep the email address, just
dialling in once in a while. But it looks like Virgin's dialup is now only
available if you have a Virgin phone.

Unless he can somehow transfer the registration of his email account to the
account of a friend/relative who still has a Virgin service?

Theo
Old July 23rd 09, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

On 23-Jul-2009, anahata wrote:

Really the best way to deal with this problem is to register your own
domain name. You have to tell everybody your new email address just once,
then after that you can change ISPs as often as you like. It's worked for
me for years, with several ISP changes.

More than one email address is a good idea, some can be spam
traps that you reveal to the world, and attaract a hundred or so
junk emails a day, which you filter. Keep one, or two, for
friends and family.
So if he is getting a lot of spam on Virgin, it might be good
idea to ditch it.
Registering your own domain is fine so long as it stays
friends and family, unfortunately many companies ask
for your email address, then a rogue employee, or for some
other reason, it gets onto a spam list, then most spam lists.
Gmail and some ISP's do a good job of filtering.
Old July 23rd 09, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"J B" wrote in message
A mate of mine wants to change from Virgin to Talk Talk to make use of
their 'free' broadband.
He'd like to keep his @virgin.net e mail address.
Is this possible?

--
J B

Having your primary email address @ the domain of your first internet
provider is rather like having the name of your first girlfriend tattooed
on your forearm. It's suprising how many people do it though.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 23rd 09, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AO

"Ato_Zee" wrote in message

On 23-Jul-2009, anahata wrote:

Really the best way to deal with this problem is to register your own
domain name. You have to tell everybody your new email address just once,
then after that you can change ISPs as often as you like. It's worked for
me for years, with several ISP changes.

More than one email address is a good idea, some can be spam
traps that you reveal to the world, and attaract a hundred or so
junk emails a day, which you filter. Keep one, or two, for
friends and family.
So if he is getting a lot of spam on Virgin, it might be good
idea to ditch it.
Registering your own domain is fine so long as it stays
friends and family, unfortunately many companies ask
for your email address, then a rogue employee, or for some
other reason, it gets onto a spam list, then most spam lists.
Gmail and some ISP's do a good job of filtering.

Yes, but what I do with my own domain is give out email addresses with the
username appropriate to whomever is receiving it.

e.g. if my domain is aoao.co.uk, I give out as my
addy for dealings with virgin.net.

for Debenham's shopping related stuff,
for computer
goods. Etc. etc.

For friends and family, and general use I use my personal name:
.

I can use 123-reg control panel to filter my mail by blocking, redirecting,
and run it through all means of spam filters of my choosing.
It also helps me to sort them into local folders.

I also have a seekrit domain that I use for only close family and good
friends.

All for 6 quid a year for both domains, I can redirect to any ISP or other
email addy I like.

You can't beat having your own domain, best thing I ever did.

Thanks for listening

AO

Old July 23rd 09, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

J B submitted this idea :
A mate of mine wants to change from Virgin to Talk Talk to make use of their
'free' broadband.
He'd like to keep his @virgin.net e mail address.
Is this possible?

Can he not convert the account to "dial-up"?

Old July 23rd 09, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AO

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
J B submitted this idea :
A mate of mine wants to change from Virgin to Talk Talk to make use of
their 'free' broadband.
He'd like to keep his @virgin.net e mail address.
Is this possible?

Can he not convert the account to "dial-up"?

I know with a lot of ISP's you have to actually dial up the account every
3-6 months or so to keep the account alive.
I don't know if this is the case with virgin.net. So you would have to
have your good 'ole trusty analogue modem installed
to dial them up, and remember to do it every so often.

I still keep mine ready to install for emergency backup if needed.

I used to have an old ukgateway.net account from 2001 which was still
working fine a few months back.

Thanks,

AO

Old July 23rd 09, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheOldFellow

"J B" wrote:

A mate of mine wants to change from Virgin to Talk Talk to make use of their
'free' broadband.
He'd like to keep his @virgin.net e mail address.
Is this possible?

I strongly recommend people to buy (yes with money) their own domain,
and the retain their own email address forever. For instance, buying a
..org.uk domain from 1and1 might only cost 2.50 a year (there are lots
of deal, google is your friend). Then forwarding all emails to your
current ISP is easy. You can also point your new domain at any web
space your ISP provides too.

Take the pain for telling everyone your new email once, then change
ISPs at will.

An alternative is a googlemail account, I do both.

R.