Plug pulled on suspected pirates

Old July 24th 09, 01:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default Plug pulled on suspected pirates

======================================

Please always reply to news group as the email address in
this post's header does not exist. Alternatively, use one of the
contact addresses at:
Old July 24th 09, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Java Jive" wrote in message

What concerns me is that Kingston Communications, aka Karoo, have a complete
monopoly of telecoms and internet access in the Hull area.
How Ofcom ever allowed this to happen is beyond me.

George

Old July 24th 09, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Darling

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:14:33 +0100, George Weston wrote:

"Java Jive" wrote in message

What concerns me is that Kingston Communications, aka Karoo, have a
complete monopoly of telecoms and internet access in the Hull area. How
Ofcom ever allowed this to happen is beyond me.

?????????????

Kingston Communications started in 1902 rather a long time (100 years to
be precise) before Ofcom was set up.

Regards
Gordon
Old July 24th 09, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Java Jive" wrote in message

What concerns me is that Kingston Communications, aka Karoo, have a
complete monopoly of telecoms and internet access in the Hull area. How
Ofcom ever allowed this to happen is beyond me.

?????????????

Kingston Communications started in 1902 rather a long time (100 years to
be precise) before Ofcom was set up.

Yep - seen, known and understood.

I used to work for BT - even before it was BT! - and know all about the Hull
Corporation Telephone Department, as it used to be.
In those days, the people of Hull enjoyed much cheaper phone bills from HCTD
than the rest of the country, who had to soldier on with bad old Post Office
Telephones/British Telecom.
However, on the liberalisation of the telecoms market and the privatisation
of BT and HCTD, BT was saddled by what was then called OFTEL (and is now
OFCOM) with all sorts of restrictions, in order to foster competition.
It would appear that Kingston Communications were not restricted in this way
and were just handed their past monopoly on a plate, unchanged.

I don't think the citizens of Hull are so happy now...
I could be wrong, of course.

George

Old July 24th 09, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Darling

"Java Jive" wrote in message

[...]

I also worked for the GPO a long time ago! (Welbeck Exchange).

As I understand the current situation there are still some parts of Hull
where Kingston (or Karoo as they call themselves) have a de facto
monopoly in both telephone and broadband provision.

Regards
Gordon
Old July 24th 09, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"Java Jive" wrote in message

They've backed down!

George

Old July 24th 09, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bassplus

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 20:19:57 +0100, "George Weston"
wrote:

"Java Jive" wrote in message
.. .

They've backed down!

Amazing what a little publicity can do. You can't beat it.
Old July 24th 09, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Yes, I see from the identity of our links that the BBC has simply
updated the previous story.

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 20:19:57 +0100, "George Weston"
wrote:

"Java Jive" wrote in message

They've backed down!