'The Telegraph' web-pages.

Old July 24th 09, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DB.

Default 'The Telegraph' web-pages.

I normally keep up-to-date with the day's news at 'The Telegraph'
web-pages, visiting the frontpage at
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ several times each day. Matt's daily
cartoon mustn't be missed!

My connexion here isn't particularly fast, and I'd normally expect
to download this and similar pages in about 3 seconds. However, for the
past 3 days or so this and other Telegraph pages have been taking about
4 minutes to appear. This doesn't happen with any other web-pages - my
alternative news-source, the BBC front-page at http://news.bbc.co.uk/
continues to be downloaded within 4 secs. as do the Times, Guardian and
Independent.

Are others here finding this, please? Is the problem at *my* end or
at the Telegraph's?

Any replies appreciated. TIA.

--
DB.

Old July 24th 09, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

"DB." wrote in message
I normally keep up-to-date with the day's news at 'The Telegraph'
web-pages, visiting the frontpage at
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ several times each day. Matt's daily cartoon
mustn't be missed!

My connexion here isn't particularly fast, and I'd normally expect to
download this and similar pages in about 3 seconds. However, for the past
3 days or so this and other Telegraph pages have been taking about 4
minutes to appear. This doesn't happen with any other web-pages - my
alternative news-source, the BBC front-page at http://news.bbc.co.uk/
continues to be downloaded within 4 secs. as do the Times, Guardian and
Independent.

Are others here finding this, please? Is the problem at *my* end or at
the Telegraph's?

Any replies appreciated. TIA.

All fine here - loaded almost instantly.
There maybe a problem with your ISP's DNS?

George

Old July 24th 09, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pugwash

"DB." wrote in message
[...]

No problems with it for me. BTW Matt's on holiday!

Old July 24th 09, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DB.

"George Weston" wrote in message

"DB." wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, George. It's the brilliant Matt that I'm missing. I
eventually got there only to learn that he's on holiday. I hope they
get it sorted before he returns - and that he doesn't take as long a
holiday as those bluddy MPs!

--
DB.

Old July 24th 09, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric Parker

"DB." wrote in message
I normally keep up-to-date with the day's news at 'The Telegraph'
web-pages, visiting the frontpage at
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ several times each day. Matt's daily
cartoon mustn't be missed!

My connexion here isn't particularly fast, and I'd normally expect
to download this and similar pages in about 3 seconds. However, for
the past 3 days or so this and other Telegraph pages have been taking
about 4 minutes to appear. This doesn't happen with any other
web-pages - my alternative news-source, the BBC front-page at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/ continues to be downloaded within 4 secs. as do
the Times, Guardian and Independent.

Are others here finding this, please? Is the problem at *my* end
or at the Telegraph's?

Any replies appreciated. TIA.

1-2 seconds here.
Looked pretty fast.

I just need help doing their crosswords.

Eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Old July 24th 09, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

"DB." wrote in message
[...]

There's an RSS feed for Matt's cartoons on this page -
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/matt-archive/

It appears to be broken though
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/matt-archive/rss

Old July 24th 09, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Benn

"DB." wrote in message
I normally keep up-to-date with the day's news at 'The Telegraph'
web-pages, visiting the frontpage at
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ several times each day. Matt's daily cartoon
mustn't be missed!

My connexion here isn't particularly fast, and I'd normally expect to
download this and similar pages in about 3 seconds. However, for the past
3 days or so this and other Telegraph pages have been taking about 4
minutes to appear. This doesn't happen with any other web-pages - my
alternative news-source, the BBC front-page at http://news.bbc.co.uk/
continues to be downloaded within 4 secs. as do the Times, Guardian and
Independent.

Are others here finding this, please? Is the problem at *my* end or at
the Telegraph's?

Any replies appreciated. TIA.

I have had exactly the same problem with the Telegraph website for the past
3 days using a C&W-provided corporate connection so you're not alone. Page
requests are either very slow or just time out.

Old July 24th 09, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

DB. wrote:
I normally keep up-to-date with the day's news at 'The Telegraph'
web-pages, visiting the frontpage at
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ several times each day. Matt's daily
cartoon mustn't be missed!

My connexion here isn't particularly fast, and I'd normally expect
to download this and similar pages in about 3 seconds. However, for the
past 3 days or so this and other Telegraph pages have been taking about
4 minutes to appear. This doesn't happen with any other web-pages - my
alternative news-source, the BBC front-page at http://news.bbc.co.uk/
continues to be downloaded within 4 secs. as do the Times, Guardian and
Independent.

Are others here finding this, please? Is the problem at *my* end or
at the Telegraph's?

Any replies appreciated. TIA.

I have found that setting my computers MTU to 1400 or 1432 bytes
instread of 1500 bytes helps when I see this.

Its broken routers that cant do packet fragmentation or something
usually. Or the site may just be fscked.
Old July 24th 09, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bod43

On 24 July, 19:56, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
DB. wrote:
[...]

I don't think it is MTU realated.

I have been getting that too. Just suddenly started
a few days ago.

I have discovered that it is OK with Internet Explorer
and not with Firefox (I usually use the latter).

Some ads which appear on the IE page are blank in FF.

No idea how to fix it in FF, my installation is pretty default
I think although I owe FF a restart for an upgrade.

I just choose other web pages or if desperate
for telegraphy load up IE (v8).

The delay seems to be the reusult of the attempt to do
the ads failing but timing out eventually - several minutes.

BTW - I use 1300 bytes for TCP MSS.
Old July 24th 09, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Retired

"DB." wrote in message
[...]

I find that several of the Newspapers and Political Blogs are considerably
slower after about 6 o'clock in the evening, but not other web sites. I put
it down to everybody wanting to read them when they got home.
B.