Ciao "Beware of PlusNet"

Old July 24th 09, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bassplus

Default Ciao "Beware of PlusNet"

Now this is what I call a review.

Another disgruntled Plusnet victim

Review rated by 12 Ciao members on average: very helpful

After being a Broadband Plus customer with PlusNet for over a year, I
have found their broadband connection to be generally fast and
reliable. Their technical support was also competent and I was able to
set up a wireless broadband connection on PC and Mac without any
problems.

It was only when I tried to cancel my broadband service due to an
imminent move out of the UK that I got an unbelievable amount of
trouble and frustration in dealing with the company. As I no longer
required a broadband service, I sent in a written notice to terminate
my account with PlusNet in a letter dated 23rd of September 2006 which
was sent by recorded mail to ensure delivery. This was in fulfilment
of the 1-year contract I had with PlusNet and I wasn't expecting any
difficulty in closing my broadband connection. The requested
termination date was on the 30th of October 2006 thereby providing
more than 1 month notice for the services provided by PlusNet to be
stopped. During the course of communicating with PlusNet over my
account closure, I encountered so many failures and shortcomings by
the PlusNet customer service that I felt justifiable need to raise an
official complaint.
The first thing that PlusNet did after receiving my written notice was
to impose a cancellation charge of 57.60 for my FREE modem and FREE
activation which was the equivalent of nearly 4 months subscription. I
was completely taken off guard as the description that accompanies the
offer of the Broadband Plus service on the PlusNet website openly
stated "FREE setup now available - save over 80". It was only upon
examining the fine print on the terms and conditions which many
customers including me typically do not read that the hidden cost
became apparent. The initial description of the setup being FREE was
simply misleading and inaccurate. Both the activation cost and
optional modem provided were not FREE as there was a cancellation
charge upon termination of the services unless a customer stays with
PlusNet for the unrealistic duration of 5 years. Such a practise is
more accurately described as "Activation and Modem with deferred
payments" and it is certainly not going to be free for the vast
majority of people. I realised I had been taken in by a sales gimmick
which was nothing more than a cynical way to trap unwary customers who
do not expect to be charged at any time for goods and services as
understood by the meaning of the word FREE.

Thus I found myself obliged to pay for the activation and modem which
was described as FREE. Not wanting to default on my payments, I agreed
to pay PlusNet for the cancellation charges. I received a call from
PlusNet on the 12th of October 2006 stating that they could not deduct
the amount from my credit card. This was naturally due to my imminent
move out of the UK for which I had to close my credit card account.
One of the unbelievable features of PlusNet was that it was impossible
to remove credit card details from their online portal as there was
simply no option to do so. I had however arranged for PlusNet to be
paid by Direct Debit well in advance on the 28th of July 2006 from
which payments were always subsequently deducted on time. Due to the
failure of PlusNet to provide a means for customers to remove their
own credit card details from their online account, this resulted in
billings to out of date cards.
My misadventures with PlusNet continued.

The PlusNet code of practise clearly states that
"Your contract with PlusNet can be terminated by:

a Us giving one month's notice to you.
b You giving one month's notice to us.
c You giving us immediate notice within the 14-day notice period if we
inform you that we are increasing our charges or changing the
conditions of your Contract to your detriment."

This was all that was needed to terminate my contract. Instead I was
further informed that more charges will be levied as PlusNet has
unilaterally decided to push the cancellation date for as long as it
takes to clear the cancellation charge which is not a condition set
out in their code of practise. I now had to pay for the additional
subscription period with PlusNet despite the 1-month notice I provided
to them in writing. As these additional charges were levied where no
such charges have been stipulated and where they have certainly not
been described as a condition for extending the termination date,
PlusNet was effectively breaching their own code of practise.

But very well, I didn't want any trouble. So I offered 4 means by
which I would pay PlusNet for the cancellation charges and the extra
subscription charge. I offered a (i) Visa Electron card and (ii) a
Visa Debit card from which I was willing to provide the details over
the phone. I was told that both payment methods could not be processed
by PlusNet where I then offered to (iii) pay PlusNet with a cheque and
(iv) authorise PlusNet to deduct the amount from my current account in
which PlusNet was already taking payments by Direct Debit. All of
these payment methods were rejected by PlusNet as they could not
process them, again a ridiculous shortcoming on their part.
I was indeed left with no means to pay PlusNet and the only option I
was offered was to get someone else with a credit card to pay on my
behalf. I said I would attempt this and asked for a number to call
PlusNet where I can then give the credit card details. If they could
call me, then I could call them right ? Wrong. I was told this was
impossible as the company cannot provide me with a telephone number to
call them with. Another stupefying failure on the part of PlusNet. I
was told to put credit card details that were not mine on the online
portal for the amount to be deducted and this was in full knowledge
that PlusNet did not have a facility to cancel credit card details
once they were put there. The final payment method offered by PlusNet
was ludicrous as who would entrust their credit card details to be put
online by another person to pay someone else's bills ? When I informed
PlusNet of the difficulty of such a payment method, my question was
simply closed in my online portal and left unaddressed.

I have in the end borrowed credit card details from a family member,
put it in the online portal and I am currently awaiting PlusNet to
deduct the cancellation charges and the additional subscription. As
this is a overseas credit card, there will be further costs incurred
in the exchange rate and a credit card fee that goes with overseas
transactions both of which are additional costs on my part.

I conclusion, I have found the shortcomings and failures of PlusNet to
be unacceptable which is why I lodged an official complaint. I waited
5 working days later (1 calendar week), they made absolutely no
attempt whatsoever to speak to me, tell me if the termination is going
ahead or not or if they were even looking into the complaint. Enough
was enough, hence I decided to post my experiences online publicly so
that others can be warned of the kind of company that PlusNet plc is.
Old July 24th 09, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Bassplus wrote:

Another disgruntled Plusnet victim

I presume you think you're making Plusnet look bad, or helping Google
find "bad rep" about them? In reality you're just demonstrating what a
tosser you are.
Old July 25th 09, 04:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Andy Burns wrote:

Bassplus wrote:

Another disgruntled Plusnet victim

I presume you think you're making Plusnet look bad, or helping Google
find "bad rep" about them? In reality you're just demonstrating what a
tosser you are.

They were pretty bad around the time he mentions. Phones went unanswered
for as much as 30 mins despite the line being picked up by the automated
system so you were being charged for calls that you never got an answer
to, users were migrated to Tiscali LLU without their knowledge etc as a
result of which and a line issue I had 2 months of hell, fixed by moving
to IDNet who finally did the right thing and called out BT who found the
problem in about 5 minutes, a problem that Plusnet and Tiscali together
denied couldn't possibly exist due to complete ignorance.

Graham

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious
adjustment to my email address

Old July 25th 09, 07:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bassplus

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 04:55:32 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Bassplus wrote:

Another disgruntled Plusnet victim

I presume you think you're making Plusnet look bad, or helping Google
find "bad rep" about them? In reality you're just demonstrating what a
tosser you are.

They were pretty bad around the time he mentions. Phones went unanswered
for as much as 30 mins despite the line being picked up by the automated
system so you were being charged for calls that you never got an answer
to, users were migrated to Tiscali LLU without their knowledge etc as a
result of which and a line issue I had 2 months of hell, fixed by moving
to IDNet who finally did the right thing and called out BT who found the
problem in about 5 minutes, a problem that Plusnet and Tiscali together
denied couldn't possibly exist due to complete ignorance.

You made the right choice moving. They're just as incompetent, lazy,
slow and bad as ever.
Old July 25th 09, 07:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R Johnson

Andy Burns wrote:

Bassplus wrote:

Another disgruntled Plusnet victim

I presume you think you're making Plusnet look bad, or helping Google
find "bad rep" about them? In reality you're just demonstrating what a
tosser you are.

This won't work. After all, tosser failed to find them before becoming a
customer in the first instance. Plus Google Groups keeps the usenet
results quite separate from main search results, you really have to look
hard to find them. Would have done better spamming forums IMHO but I
guess he's been thrown off any that matter.

They were pretty bad around the time he mentions. Phones went unanswered
for as much as 30 mins despite the line being picked up by the automated
system

And that compares to Sky and BT as they are *now* if you are calling for
support. Sales always seems to get a priority mind you.
Old July 25th 09, 08:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bassplus

Andy Burns wrote:

Bassplus wrote:

Another disgruntled Plusnet victim

I presume you think you're making Plusnet look bad, or helping Google
find "bad rep" about them? In reality you're just demonstrating what a
tosser you are.

This won't work.

Oh yes it does chump.

After all, tosser failed to find them before becoming a
customer in the first instance.

Like most victims to find out they have been mugged is often only
after the event. All that glitters is not gold as many of us find to
our cost. That's no crime.

However having delusional ideas above your station and ideas that you
are something in the community whilst blabbing off your big mouth, and
then being shown to be an impotent jerk, really should be a crime. We
should be able to lock creepy old men like you up for your own good.

Plus Google Groups keeps the usenet
results quite separate from main search results, you really have to look
hard to find them.

Yet another example of clueless trainspotting hoping we don't notice!
Try and Google *plusnet woe* saggy tits then come back and tell us all
about it? Well blow me look what's right at the top of the page LOL

Couldn't happen to a better ****** than you..lol One day I might just
let you get something right.

Would have done better spamming forums IMHO but I
guess he's been thrown off any that matter.

Newsgroups are by far the best place for victims to spread the word.
Not only about Plusent, but also about ******s like you. Despite the
fact you try very hard to hide your ID, like any dirty old man would.

Old July 25th 09, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Eeyore wrote:

They were pretty bad around the time he mentions.

I agree they've had their problems over the years, many other ISPs have
too, I tend to prefer those who are open about the problems, thankfully
I opted out of the LLU.
Old July 25th 09, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R Johnson

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 08:41:09 +0100, Bassplus wrote:

Yawn....

(my reply, 10 seconds, your time to type over 10 minutes = your time is
worthless please continue to follow up and prove it)
Old July 25th 09, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bassplus

On 25 Jul 2009 12:20:06 GMT, R Johnson wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 08:41:09 +0100, Bassplus wrote:

Yawn....

That's adult of you. Still it beats the usual impotent drivel.

Never mind chump, no hard feelings. Some you win some you lose.

Old July 25th 09, 02:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R Johnson

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 14:02:29 +0100, Bassplus wrote:

On 25 Jul 2009 12:20:06 GMT, R Johnson wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 08:41:09 +0100, Bassplus wrote:

Yawn....

That's adult of you. Still it beats the usual impotent drivel.

Never mind chump, no hard feelings. Some you win some you lose.

And as it's you still with a DSL problem, you lose saggy chump.