BT Home Hub 2.0 Question

Old July 25th 09, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gared Haus

Default BT Home Hub 2.0 Question

Hey guys,

I just got a HH 2.0 and got it set up no problem at all. I am using a
iMac running OS 10.4.11. I was previously using a Netgear DG834G and
was getting a download speed of 284kb/s. With the HH I am getting the
following results:

Download 1.51 mb/s
Upload 0.32 mb/s

Now, I am aware of the 10 day thing however my question is does this
apply to me seeing as how I have been using BT Broadband for the last 5
or 6 years? I recently renewed my yearly contract with them and that
is why I got the HH. I have only plugged the HH in today so maybe I
have to leave the HH plugged in for at least 10 days before my speed
will increase?

Old July 25th 09, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive

"Gared Haus" wrote in message
Hey guys,

I just got a HH 2.0 and got it set up no problem at all. I am using a
iMac running OS 10.4.11. I was previously using a Netgear DG834G and was
getting a download speed of 284kb/s. With the HH I am getting the
following results:

Download 1.51 mb/s
Upload 0.32 mb/s

Now, I am aware of the 10 day thing however my question is does this apply
to me seeing as how I have been using BT Broadband for the last 5 or 6
years? I recently renewed my yearly contract with them and that is why I
got the HH. I have only plugged the HH in today so maybe I have to leave
the HH plugged in for at least 10 days before my speed will increase?

You clearly re not aware of the 10 day thing if you have to ask how long
10 days is!

Old July 26th 09, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gared Haus

On 2009-07-25 21:51:27 +0100, "Clive" said:

"Gared Haus" wrote in message
Hey guys,

I just got a HH 2.0 and got it set up no problem at all. I am using a
iMac running OS 10.4.11. I was previously using a Netgear DG834G and was
getting a download speed of 284kb/s. With the HH I am getting the
following results:

Download 1.51 mb/s
Upload 0.32 mb/s

Now, I am aware of the 10 day thing however my question is does this apply
to me seeing as how I have been using BT Broadband for the last 5 or 6
years? I recently renewed my yearly contract with them and that is why I
got the HH. I have only plugged the HH in today so maybe I have to leave
the HH plugged in for at least 10 days before my speed will increase?

You clearly re not aware of the 10 day thing if you have to ask how long
10 days is!

I wasn't asking how long it is, I was asking if it applies to me as
I've been with BT Broadband for the last 5 or 6 years......

Old July 26th 09, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Zahut

Gared Haus wrote:
Hey guys,

I just got a HH 2.0 and got it set up no problem at all. I am using a
iMac running OS 10.4.11. I was previously using a Netgear DG834G and
was getting a download speed of 284kb/s. With the HH I am getting the
following results:

Download 1.51 mb/s
Upload 0.32 mb/s

Now, I am aware of the 10 day thing however my question is does this
apply to me seeing as how I have been using BT Broadband for the last
5 or 6 years? I recently renewed my yearly contract with them and
that is why I got the HH. I have only plugged the HH in today so
maybe I have to leave the HH plugged in for at least 10 days before
my speed will increase?

I'm 1.7km (line length) from the exchange and both my previous router ( a
Linksys WAG54GS) and my current one (Linksys WAG325N) synch at 8128/448 and
I get an actual download speed of between 6.8 and 7.1Mbps. I've got 3 BT
HorribleHubs (V1.0 and 1.5) that they've sent me over the years, none of
which will synch over about 5500/300 IIRC - it's been a long time since I
looked. I've also got a BT Business Hub (2Wire 2700HGV) that synchs at
7176/448.

My somewhat unscientific conclusion: BT HomeHubs are rubbish - get yourself
a proper router or go back to your Netgear. Regarding the 10 day thingy, I
can swap routers (for testing and experimental purposes) daily or even a
couple of times a day and it doesn't cause a "10 day event" if you see what
I mean. For instance, if I hook up one of the HHs my synch speed would drop
to around 5500 but if I returned to my Linksys router a couple of hours
later, it would immediately return to 8128 - I wouldn't have to wait 10
days.

Old July 26th 09, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaius

Pete Zahut wrote:
Gared Haus wrote:
Hey guys,

I just got a HH 2.0 and got it set up no problem at all. I am using a
iMac running OS 10.4.11. I was previously using a Netgear DG834G and
was getting a download speed of 284kb/s. With the HH I am getting the
following results:

Download 1.51 mb/s
Upload 0.32 mb/s

I've got a HomeHub 1.5 - it won't provide anything like the throughput
provided by my current Modem/Router (Draytek 2800VG). The line stats
(SNR Margin, Loop attenuation) are similar, but the HH consistently
negotiates a lower rate with the DSLAM at the exchange. Needless to say,
the HH has been retired.

There are modem parameters which can be set to give slower (but more
stable) speeds (Coding Gain etc). The Draytek gives access to some of
these, but the HH doesn't. My guess is that BT have set these to provide
slower speeds to make the line seem more stable - and hope users won't
notice the difference. Remember that BT can control the settings of your
HH without your knowledge via their remote management capability on the Hub.

There's another thing to consider about the HH. (This rather depends on
your level of paranoia and your trust in BT's integrity).
The aforementioned remote management port is effectively a back door
into your router. It's on the public record that BT have done some very
underhand, and possibly illegal things in terms of secretly intercepting
web browsing. You should consider this before putting too much trust in
the HomeHub - and in BT itself.

Even if BT are not implementing questionable "Features" in the HH,
remember that the remote management port is potentially hackable, and
you'd never know if someone had quietly installed a bit of packet
sniffing code to intercept your entire traffic stream......

Old July 26th 09, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gared Haus

On 2009-07-26 15:06:23 +0100, Gaius said:

Pete Zahut wrote:
Gared Haus wrote:
[...]

Oh wow, I never knew that BT could do that. Well, I will remove the
hub at once and just keep my old Netgear