Access to specific web site

Old July 25th 09, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

Default Access to specific web site

Hello

Here's an interesting one.
I'm with O2, who have been giving good performance for about a year.
When I try and access (using IE, firefox, or outlook)
webmail.insert_my_company_name.com using a wired PC (not WiFi), then
sometimes this attempt will timeout. Then it stays like this until I reboot
the router. I have tried two routers and it is the same with either. My IP
address, although not static, doesn't change after a reboot.
When access to this site fails, I CAN access it using my iPhone when I turn
its WiFi off (so it uses the cellular network). With WiFi turned on (on the
iPhone) it too fails, as expected. And my work colleagues have no issues at
all, even during periods where I cannot connect.
Any idea what causes this?
TIA.

Old July 25th 09, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Grumps wrote:

When access to this site fails, I CAN access it using my iPhone when I turn
its WiFi off (so it uses the cellular network). With WiFi turned on (on the
iPhone) it too fails, as expected. And my work colleagues have no issues at
all, even during periods where I cannot connect.
Any idea what causes this?

Weird MTU settings on the router? O2 use bridging rather than routing
over the ADSL link.
Old July 26th 09, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
news
Grumps wrote:

When access to this site fails, I CAN access it using my iPhone when I
turn its WiFi off (so it uses the cellular network). With WiFi turned on
(on the iPhone) it too fails, as expected. And my work colleagues have no
issues at all, even during periods where I cannot connect.
Any idea what causes this?

Weird MTU settings on the router? O2 use bridging rather than routing over
the ADSL link.

Thanks,
The 2 routers are the O2 supplied one and a WAG200G. The settings do seem to
be correct (briding mode as you say, and an MTU of 1500).
But why only the one site? Access is ok for ages, then it fails and will not
connect (until a reboot). And this has only recently started to happen.
Actually, only since O2's cellular network went tits-up!

Old July 26th 09, 12:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Grumps wrote:

The 2 routers are the O2 supplied one and a WAG200G. The settings do seem to
be correct (briding mode as you say, and an MTU of 1500).

See it it makes a difference knocking it down to 1492

But why only the one site?

Some sites end up with "daft" settings on routers/firewalls at their end
that set a smaller MTU and don't allow fragmentation.

Old July 26th 09, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Oddi

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 22:23:37 +0100, "Grumps" wrote
this:

Here's an interesting one.

Interesting! You really should get out more.
Old July 26th 09, 08:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R Johnson

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 23:13:56 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Grumps wrote:

The 2 routers are the O2 supplied one and a WAG200G. The settings do
seem to be correct (briding mode as you say, and an MTU of 1500).

See it it makes a difference knocking it down to 1492

But why only the one site?

Some sites end up with "daft" settings on routers/firewalls at their end
that set a smaller MTU and don't allow fragmentation.

And blocking ICMP traffic will bork any attempt at path discovery ?
Perhaps make sure you are not dropping all ICMP .
Old July 26th 09, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

Grumps wrote:

The 2 routers are the O2 supplied one and a WAG200G. The settings do
seem to be correct (briding mode as you say, and an MTU of 1500).

See it it makes a difference knocking it down to 1492

But why only the one site?

Some sites end up with "daft" settings on routers/firewalls at their end
that set a smaller MTU and don't allow fragmentation.

And blocking ICMP traffic will bork any attempt at path discovery ?
Perhaps make sure you are not dropping all ICMP .

Thanks, but no idea what that means
When it works, it works, and I can tracert it.
When it fails, it fails untill a router reboot (unless that's just a
coincidence), and I can't tracert it.

Old July 26th 09, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Grumps wrote:

The 2 routers are the O2 supplied one and a WAG200G. The settings do
seem to be correct (briding mode as you say, and an MTU of 1500).
See it it makes a difference knocking it down to 1492

But why only the one site?
Some sites end up with "daft" settings on routers/firewalls at their end
that set a smaller MTU and don't allow fragmentation.

And blocking ICMP traffic will bork any attempt at path discovery ?
Perhaps make sure you are not dropping all ICMP .

Thanks, but no idea what that means
When it works, it works, and I can tracert it.
When it fails, it fails untill a router reboot (unless that's just a
coincidence), and I can't tracert it.

I had similar years ago, and the site actually recommended a firmware
upgrade on the router, which fixed it.

But that would seem to be a very long shot in this case..
Old July 26th 09, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

Grumps wrote:

The 2 routers are the O2 supplied one and a WAG200G. The settings do
seem to be correct (briding mode as you say, and an MTU of 1500).
See it it makes a difference knocking it down to 1492

But why only the one site?
Some sites end up with "daft" settings on routers/firewalls at their
end
that set a smaller MTU and don't allow fragmentation.
And blocking ICMP traffic will bork any attempt at path discovery ?
Perhaps make sure you are not dropping all ICMP .

Thanks, but no idea what that means
When it works, it works, and I can tracert it.
When it fails, it fails untill a router reboot (unless that's just a
coincidence), and I can't tracert it.

I had similar years ago, and the site actually recommended a firmware
upgrade on the router, which fixed it.

But that would seem to be a very long shot in this case..

Anything is worth a shot. Funny as it happens using two different make
routers.

Old July 26th 09, 06:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

wrote:

Hello

Here's an interesting one.
I'm with O2, who have been giving good performance for about a year.
When I try and access (using IE, firefox, or outlook)
webmail.insert_my_company_name.com using a wired PC (not WiFi), then
sometimes this attempt will timeout. Then it stays like this until I reboot
the router. I have tried two routers and it is the same with either. My IP
address, although not static, doesn't change after a reboot.
When access to this site fails, I CAN access it using my iPhone when I turn
its WiFi off (so it uses the cellular network). With WiFi turned on (on the
iPhone) it too fails, as expected. And my work colleagues have no issues at
all, even during periods where I cannot connect.
Any idea what causes this?

it might be that their DNS servers are overloaded - this used to
happen on VM a lot.

Once you have the name to IP mapping in the cache, it "just works".

make a note of the IP address, and try via that when it is broken
(which should be reliable if all you have is a DNS issue).

TIA.

--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl