Router configuration question

Old July 25th 09, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ts

Default Router configuration question

Hi -

I recently got myself a Zyxel P-660HW ADSL2+ router with the aim to get
wireless access to my ISP account. But I am unable to access the admin
configuration interface of this router and thus unable to enter my ISPs
details.

Have anyone here experience with these routers? I've used several Zyxel
660 wired ones, and never had any problems with the configuration.
Sometimes resetting has been needed, but for some reason this has not
worked with the wireless router I now am trying to connect with.

Grateful for any tips!
--
ts in Surrey // to send e-mail, remove vehicle
Old July 26th 09, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

ts wrote:

I recently got myself a Zyxel P-660HW ADSL2+ router with the aim to get
wireless access to my ISP account. But I am unable to access the admin
configuration interface

Default IP address is 192.168.1.1. What access you get depends on which
password you use: the user password is 'user' and only allows you to view
the status page. Default admin password is '1234' and allows you to change
anything.

of this router and thus unable to enter my ISPs details.

In it's default unconfigured state it'll intercept web browsing requests and
ask you to put in a WAN username/password.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
09:30:58 up 80 days, 22:12, 3 users, load average: 0.23, 0.18, 0.13

Old July 26th 09, 09:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

ts wrote:

Hi -

I recently got myself a Zyxel P-660HW ADSL2+ router with the aim to
get wireless access to my ISP account. But I am unable to access the
admin configuration interface of this router and thus unable to enter
my ISPs details.

Have anyone here experience with these routers? I've used several
Zyxel 660 wired ones, and never had any problems with the
configuration. Sometimes resetting has been needed, but for some
reason this has not worked with the wireless router I now am trying
to connect with.

Grateful for any tips!

I asume that you're using a *wired* connection when attempting to configure
it?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old July 26th 09, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Roger Mills wrote:
ts wrote:

Hi -

I recently got myself a Zyxel P-660HW ADSL2+ router with the aim to
get wireless access to my ISP account. But I am unable to access the
admin configuration interface of this router and thus unable to enter
my ISPs details.

Have anyone here experience with these routers? I've used several
Zyxel 660 wired ones, and never had any problems with the
configuration. Sometimes resetting has been needed, but for some
reason this has not worked with the wireless router I now am trying
to connect with.

Grateful for any tips!

I asume that you're using a *wired* connection when attempting to configure
it?

Also, you have to have an address on the 192.168.2 subnet to access it.

If you are trying to set it up on an existing network, this may not be
the case.

Normally the easiest way is to connect just the router and one PC set
to 'auto' networking by a single cable, and then boot the router, than
the PC.

If its a used router, start by resetting everything..most have a tiny
reset switch somewhere that you hold down, possibly when powering on.

Old July 26th 09, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ts

alexd wrote:

ts wrote:

I recently got myself a Zyxel P-660HW ADSL2+ router with the aim to get
wireless access to my ISP account. But I am unable to access the admin
configuration interface

password you use: the user password is 'user' and only allows you to view
the status page. Default admin password is '1234' and allows you to change
anything.

Yes, I have tried both passwords, "user" shows the status of the router,
but (after resetting) "1234" just does not work.

of this router and thus unable to enter my ISPs details.

In it's default unconfigured state it'll intercept web browsing requests and
ask you to put in a WAN username/password.

Got up that window as well, asking for system password, user name &
password, but nothing happens when I enter that data either.

--
ts in Surrey // to send e-mail, remove vehicle
K-RS 8v, 80/7, 750SS

Old July 26th 09, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:
ts wrote:

[...]

Indded. If you reset it to factory defaults, it will almost certainly act as
a DHCP server. In the first instance, the PC used for config purposes must
be set to "automatically obtain IP address". Once the PC is talking to the
router you can - if desired - change the router's IP address and sub-net
mask to line up with your existing network and/or turn off DHCP if you are
allocating your own fixed IP addresses to everything on your network. [I
highly recommend doing the latter - particularly when using wireless
connections.]
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old July 26th 09, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ts

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Also, you have to have an address on the 192.168.2 subnet to access it.

If you are trying to set it up on an existing network, this may not be
the case.

Normally the easiest way is to connect just the router and one PC set
to 'auto' networking by a single cable, and then boot the router, than
the PC.

If its a used router, start by resetting everything..most have a tiny
reset switch somewhere that you hold down, possibly when powering on.

I've transfered all cables (phone line, power and ethernet cables) from
my working wired similar Zyxel 660 to the wireless one (did the same
some time ago when changing from a wired one that died in a thunderstorm
to an identical replacement router). It is just odd that whatever I do
to reset it, it doesn't accept the admin password. All the LEDs seem to
come on and blink as they should, so there are no obvious indications of
malfunction - neither from the router status seen when I enter the
"user" password.

Old July 26th 09, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ato_Zee

Grateful for any tips!

Stop faffing around, Zyxel have good UK support, FAQ,
phone number, email address. I presume you are
capable of using Google.

http://www.connectplayentertain.co.u...ct_support.php
quote
Contact ZyXELs UK based technical support desk for any
questions and troubleshooting issues regarding ZyXEL products.

The support desk is open between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday,
excluding UK bank holidays.

You can contact the support desk by the following means:

Phone: + 44 (0) 845 122 0303

Calls to 0845 numbers from a BT landline are now free depending on
your BT call package. Please see the BT website for more information.

Email:
unquote

It's not a premium rate line, and they are the people to sort
the problem, in fact the FAQ might be sufficient.
Old July 26th 09, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ts

Roger Mills wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

If its a used router, start by resetting everything..most have a tiny
reset switch somewhere that you hold down, possibly when powering on.

Indded. If you reset it to factory defaults, it will almost certainly act as
a DHCP server. In the first instance, the PC used for config purposes must
be set to "automatically obtain IP address". Once the PC is talking to the
router you can - if desired - change the router's IP address and sub-net
mask to line up with your existing network and/or turn off DHCP if you are
allocating your own fixed IP addresses to everything on your network. [I
highly recommend doing the latter - particularly when using wireless
connections.]

For what it's worth, the status page shows DHCP "server" under the LAN
information heading when accessing the wireless router with the "user"
password. But so does also my wired router, that works . . . .

Unfortunately I am not too knowledgeable about PC (windows) network
settings since I use Macintosh'es . . .