Virgin Media team up with SamKnows to see who is best? Virgin media come out tops!!

Old July 28th 09, 07:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bassplus

Default Virgin Media team up with SamKnows to see who is best? Virgin media come out tops!!

Call me an old cynic if you must, but what the **** is the world
coming to when we keep falling for this ****!

SamKnows
"Virgin Media is to become the first ISP to use SamKnows’ broadband
performance testing technology to discover the speed, quality and
reliability of the service it offers to customers"

"The report also ranked the average speeds of nine major UK ISPs, with
Virgin Media coming out on top"
Old July 28th 09, 08:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 07:55:23 +0100, Bassplus wrote:

Call me an old cynic if you must, but what the **** is the world
coming to when we keep falling for this ****!

SamKnows
"Virgin Media is to become the first ISP to use SamKnows’ broadband
performance testing technology to discover the speed, quality and
reliability of the service it offers to customers"

"The report also ranked the average speeds of nine major UK ISPs, with
Virgin Media coming out on top"

Just went to the BBC site, ran the checker (1.3), downloaded the .mov (1
min. exactly), filled in details and marked the map, got 'Resource not
found'.
Tried to look at the distribution map and the the item had been closed!

I've sent a comment but don't expect any reply.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Old July 28th 09, 09:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 07:55:23 +0100, Bassplus wrote:

Call me an old cynic if you must, but what the **** is the world
coming to when we keep falling for this ****!

SamKnows
"Virgin Media is to become the first ISP to use SamKnows’ broadband
performance testing technology to discover the speed, quality and
reliability of the service it offers to customers"

"The report also ranked the average speeds of nine major UK ISPs, with
Virgin Media coming out on top"

We're supposed to have watchdogs to protect us from this kind of
thing.

I guess if the country is run by bent politicians, we can expect no
less elsewhere!

Old July 28th 09, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The dog from that film you saw

"Bassplus" wrote in message
Call me an old cynic if you must, but what the **** is the world
coming to when we keep falling for this ****!

SamKnows
"Virgin Media is to become the first ISP to use SamKnows' broadband
performance testing technology to discover the speed, quality and
reliability of the service it offers to customers"

"The report also ranked the average speeds of nine major UK ISPs, with
Virgin Media coming out on top"

in fairness, you probably will get a faster connection with virgin due to
the technical reasons we are probably all aware of.

--
Gareth.

that fly...... is your magic wand....

Old July 28th 09, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Bassplus" wrote in message
Call me an old cynic if you must, but what the **** is the world
coming to when we keep falling for this ****!

SamKnows
"Virgin Media is to become the first ISP to use SamKnows' broadband
performance testing technology to discover the speed, quality and
reliability of the service it offers to customers"

"The report also ranked the average speeds of nine major UK ISPs, with
Virgin Media coming out on top"

I'm not too sure but I think this report could be biased to Virgin Media .

I understand my ISP using LLU Be unlimited with Speed up to 24 meg was not
included only their up to 8 meg.
Thus showing a vast difference between Virgin and all others.

--
Regards,
David

FREESAT HD as it is now it is a joke.

Old July 28th 09, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 07:55:23 +0100, Bassplus wrote:

Call me an old cynic if you must, but what the **** is the world
coming to when we keep falling for this ****!

SamKnows
"Virgin Media is to become the first ISP to use SamKnows’ broadband
performance testing technology to discover the speed, quality and
reliability of the service it offers to customers"

The actual test results info.
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/pm/faq.html

the actual trial is run by SamKnows and they seem to be trying to
actually measure performance over the long term using objective
standards.

Note that the original data set came from sponsership by others -
initially magasines and then Ofcom.

So Samknows have been running these tests for a while before VM got
involved, so the statistical baseline should be reasonably valid.

I signed up to the VM test a few weeks back and set up the monitor
they sent yesterday - it is a Linksys running their Linux build.

Note this looks like a real test - they send periodic synthetic
traffic to do the testing - up to 2 Gbytes / day.

The monitor watches the router activity to only send high traffic when
your home network is idle to minimise disruption.

"The report also ranked the average speeds of nine major UK ISPs, with
Virgin Media coming out on top"

Be fair here - they are currently turning off their 2 M / 4M broadband
users so once the migrations finish the "entry level" is 10M.

(The web site has an entry level 2M lite service in the tiering but
there doesnt seem to be a way to actually get it).

Highest speed available is 50M.

And since it is cable you have a reasonable chance of getting most of
that speed most of the time (apart from congestion, overload and their
throttleing after high usage within the peak hours).

FWIW my 10M link consistently runs at 9.8 Mbps when pulling big files
from their News server.

For comparison after 1 day of stats the results for my use of the test
unit on the sam knows web site is showing my link averaging 9.2M or so
download and 0.7 upload - which actually seems to be reading a bit
low.

So given that and comparing it to those mealy mouthed "up to" speeds
for ADSL - why are you surprised.
--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl
Old July 29th 09, 07:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bassplus

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 20:58:02 GMT, Stephen
wrote:

[...]

It's a fix mate. Trust me.

Old July 29th 09, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Stephen wrote:

FWIW my 10M link consistently runs at 9.8 Mbps when pulling big files
from their News server.

My observation last year of the 20Mb/s line last year was that
congestion in peak times regularly slowed the per connection speed to
between 1-2Mb/s.

If the test involved enough multiple connections/threads the full speed
could be achieved. However much of my internet usage involved single
thread operations such as video streaming and this meant the the VM line
significantly under performed a 4Mb/s DSL line.

Obviously there is a lot of different ways you could spin this. My own
interpretation was that for my purposes DSL outperformed VM. A person
who used the line to download news server binaries might come to the
opposite conclusion.

For comparison after 1 day of stats the results for my use of the test
unit on the sam knows web site is showing my link averaging 9.2M or so
download and 0.7 upload - which actually seems to be reading a bit
low.

So given that and comparing it to those mealy mouthed "up to" speeds
for ADSL - why are you surprised.

My telephone line is relatively poor and can only achieve 4Mb/s but my
DSL ISPs have supplied this speed consistently throughout the day. A VM
connection would run at 19Mb/s at 10am and 1Mb/s at 6pm. Additionally
even at 10am the DSL ISP provided faster connections to certain sites,
e.g. I could stream video on DSL and not VM, I ran them side by side.

This test was done about 18 months ago so maybe stuff has changed. If
Samknows had produced monthly reports listing various raw statistics
like speed, jitter, latency throughout the day. I would have a lot more
confidence in them. But I suspect if VirginMedia is giving you cash
there is a big incentive to spin the results.

I notice VM also give money to thinkbroadband.
Old July 29th 09, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:41:33 +0100, Nick wrote:

Stephen wrote:

FWIW my 10M link consistently runs at 9.8 Mbps when pulling big files
from their News server.

My observation last year of the 20Mb/s line last year was that
congestion in peak times regularly slowed the per connection speed to
between 1-2Mb/s.

We may both be typical - the 2008 report on the Samknows site mentions
that VM 20M was not as stable as the lower speeds:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/pm/PM_Summer_08.pdf

p2 ref:
Virgin Media’s cable throughput remained consistent on their 2, 4 and
10Mbps products, but was quite variable on their 20Mbps product;

If the test involved enough multiple connections/threads the full speed
could be achieved. However much of my internet usage involved single
thread operations such as video streaming and this meant the the VM line
significantly under performed a 4Mb/s DSL line.

Obviously there is a lot of different ways you could spin this. My own
interpretation was that for my purposes DSL outperformed VM. A person
who used the line to download news server binaries might come to the
opposite conclusion.

it sounds like congestion somewhere - but seems a bit wierd that
multiple streams improved it a lot.

Maybe the far end server, or the local cable UBR router driving your
segment.

[...]

the same reports slags the VM ADSL service, so i dont think that is
happening here